The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't like conspiracy theorists but something isn't right

Gator

Was that kicked in?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's how NHL Control looks at it:

Islanders are struggling financially... their former 'face of the franchise' signed with Toronto and they need a way to get their fans excited again.

Vancouver fans are guaranteed box office... they'll watch no matter how bad the team is.

Bettman wants the Islanders franchise to stay put.

So ask yourself as NHL control... which way do you rule on the goal???

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

One angle looked kicked in and one looked like he got his stick on it after the kick, either way not conclusive enough to say good goal imo

If video is inconclusive the call on the ice stands. It was called a goal on the ice.

That said this was a tough one. The rule has changed that you can use your skate to score as long as there isn't a "distinct kicking motion". That rather leaves it open to opinion. In this case all it really looks like is him turning his skate into the puck, basically hitting the puck with his heal. I don't think it was a "distinct" kicking motion. I don't think I would have overturned the refs call on this one.

Players are allowed to change the angle of their skates to direct the puck into the net.  The league ruled that it was not a distinct kicking motion but rather a simple redirect of the skate and that's allowed.  From the rulebook:

49.2  Goals - Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net with his skate/foot. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or official.

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:

(i)  A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled no goal.

(ii)  A kicked puck that deflects off the stick of any player (excluding the goalkeeper’s stick) shall be ruled a good goal.

(iii)  A goal will be allowed when an attacking player kicks the puck and the puck deflects off his own stick and then into the net.

(iv)  A goal will be allowed when a puck enters the goal after deflecting off an attacking player’s skate or deflects off his skate while he is in the process of stopping.

A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, including kicking the blade of his own stick, causing the puck to cross the goal line.

This thread is pathetic. He didn’t kick the puck, he angled his skate so he could steer it. That’s allowed. He did angle it with a motion happening quite close to the moment the puck hit the skate, so definitely a close call that could go both ways. But conspiracy? That’s ridiculous. 

Archived