The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Looking back at the 2016 free agency class - just for fun

Well we’re in the 3rd season for the draft class of 2016, the year the Canucks made one of their most infamous signings in recent memory: Louis Eriksson! Just for fun, i thought I’d have a look at some of the other big ticket names signed that offseason and how they have been doing.

Kyle Okposo

- 7 years @ $6 million per year

- first season 45 points, 2nd season 44 point, current season 10 points in 18 gamees

David Backes

- 5 years @ &6 millio per year

- first seasons 38 points, 2nd season 33 points, current season 0 points in 12 games

Milan Lucic

- 7 years @ $6 million per year

- first season 50 points, second season 34 points, current season 5 points in 18 games

Frans Nielsen

- 6 years @ $5.25 million per year

- first season 41 points, second season 33, current season 10 points (all assists) in 14 games

Andrew Ladd

- 7 years @ $5.5 million per season

- first season 31 points, 2nd season 29 points, current season 7 points in 14 games

Louis Eriksson

- 6 years @ $6 million per year

- first year 24 points, 2nd year 23 points, current year 12 points in 20 games

So what does it all mean???? Basically there were a lot of bad signings that year, maybe one of the worst years in recent memory for free agent signings, and Louis eriksson’s 2 bad seasons (last year looks worse than it actually was due to injury) would probably have happened no matter who the Canucks signed. Because of that, I think Jim Benning has learned his lesson about chasing Big names at free agency, which is why he the two off seasons since then he has gone more for depth pieces and stop gaps.

Anyways, i think Louis Eriksson has realistic chance at having the best season out of any of the above players, especially if he plays with Petey. Sucks that JB signed the contract, but it could’ve been worse

louie is a garbage goal scorer. he needs to skate with players that get the puck on the net, so he can jam the odd one in. if his line mates aren't doing that, then he relies on his defensive play to contribute. on boston he skated with guys that shot a lot. he would dig for rebounds. thats how he got his goals. many canuck players are shooting from well out, not allowing for many rebounds to go after. personally, i'ld rather have louie than goldie up front. 

Bit of schadenfreude in the title's use of the term, fun. 'Dem GM's beg to differ.

But as paying fans, we're all obligated to keep on shelling out to watch some zombie-stiffs try hanging on to yesterday(amirite?)

That's why I keep hard-selling my *10% cap-flex idea*(separate thread). This current stagnant biz is overhyped, overcoached, unnecessary bullsh*t.

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

louie is a garbage goal scorer. he needs to skate with players that get the puck on the net, so he can jam the odd one in. if his line mates aren't doing that, then he relies on his defensive play to contribute. on boston he skated with guys that shot a lot. he would dig for rebounds. thats how he got his goals. many canuck players are shooting from well out, not allowing for many rebounds to go after. personally, i'ld rather have louie than goldie up front. 

My friends and I were discussing this, and were thinking he isn't really playing with people that help him with the type of game he plays offensively.  If only Virt was a net front presence sort of guy, there would be a lot more unseen shots bouncing around and the ability for a rebound to dig for.

2 hours ago, Solinar said:

My friends and I were discussing this, and were thinking he isn't really playing with people that help him with the type of game he plays offensively.  If only Virt was a net front presence sort of guy, there would be a lot more unseen shots bouncing around and the ability for a rebound to dig for.

Virt-EP-LE would actually be a very effective line in both ends of the rink. 

I was  thinking Virt is more of a player to be with Horvat who is a north south kind of guy.  Baertschi figures in because he's the playmaker winger, probably why that line had success in the pre-season a few years back, but wasn't exactly a solid line at the time.  I'm 'Hoping' Gadjovich fills the role of net front presence, mucker in the future, because his hockey sense of grabbing pucks from the corner, dishing and then going to the net to distract/knock in rebounds is something that could benefit our hard shooters in Pettersson and Boesser.  

Truthfully, it probably isn't going to be a single person, but finding that winger that clicks, as well as getting D-men that can get a shot thru traffic on net hard enough to create rebounds.  You don't always have to boom it in, but has to be sufficiently hard and accurate enough to not just get absorbed in the chest or caught in the glove.

At that point, a player akin to Gadjovich as he could project himself, would be beneficial to a line of him, Pettersson, and Eriksson, in that Gadjovich would serve as the distraction while Eriksson would have rebounds aplenty to deposit into the net without being crushed in by defenders in front as he isn't the kind of player to push them off and deposit the puck thru that tangle.  He's more of the guy who slips thru coverage and deposits the rebound.

Have to hope LE has his best year for the nuckers to date.  We all thought the last two years of the contract would be his worst hockey but lets hope the reverse is true and it just keeps getting better from here!! Unlikely of course but a man can dream!

Archived