The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Penguins Prospect Goalie Scores a Goal

xereau

Penguins goalie prospect Tristan Jarry scores goal in AHL game

tristan-jarry-smiles-during-ahl-all-star

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins goalie Tristan Jarry talks with his teammates during the 2017 AHL All-Star Classic skills competition.

(Christopher Dolan/The Citizens' Voice via AP)

Pittsburgh Penguins goalie prospect Tristan Jarry scored an empty-netter for the AHL’s Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins during a Wednesday matinee against the Springfield Thunderbirds.

It was the first goal courtesy of a netminder in the team’s history. The Penguins won the game 5-1.

There hasn’t been a goalie goal in the NHL since early in the 2013-14 season when Mike Smith, then of the Phoenix Coyotes, scored against the Detroit Red Wings.

Just now, D-Money said:

He's 6 months older than Thatcher Demko.

Is Demko really still considered a prospect at this point? Will he be in 6 months?

I'm saying that based less on Jarry's age and more that he spent a good chunk of last season with Pittsburgh and played 26 games. I'd still consider Demko a prospect at this point based on him only having a single NHL game under his belt. 

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm saying that based less on Jarry's age and more that he spent a good chunk of last season with Pittsburgh and played 26 games. I'd still consider Demko a prospect at this point based on him only having a single NHL game under his belt. 

Given their age, and the development curve of goalies, I'd say both are prospects for a while yet.

Successor to Letang on the PP, lol.  

"Jarry stopping the dump-in behind his net.  He's waiting for support... now he skates up ice with the puck across the red line.  Slows down his entrance to the offensive zone.  The Pens now set up on the PP..... he passes to Crosby.  Sid holds, passes to Malkin, back to Jarry.... Across to Crosby... drawing the defenders in.... to Jarry for the one-timer.... HE SCORES!!!!!  Jarry with a howitzer from the point, top corner above the goalie's blocker.  What a play from Sidney and what a shot!"

Archived