The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for some new blood soon?

The Big Luongo

I think it's been very clear that although there's a few Canucks that can play with EP and bring some talent to the table that works with him nobody is on his level.

I think the same could be true for Dahlen in Utica and possibly why his production there isn' tas high as we'd like ot fo be. I haven't seen Dahlen play lately but from what I'd seen in the past he does have some of the over the top skills that EP possesses. Right now I assume they're teaching him like they did with Goldobin and Virtanen to do some of the little things better so he doesn't hurt the team on the defensive side and so they can give him a chance soon see what they can do together and I'd love to see that.

Obviously there's a huge benefit of they're paired together and they have that chemistry we all know EP needs to play at his highest level but there's also some great fallout if that happened also.

Personally I'd like to see a Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi reunion when healthy and a Pettersson, Dahlen with MacEwen, Virtanen or even Rousell line in the future because I feel like also having a big strong body with skill could really pay dividends on the boards, net front making space and as protection against the extracurricular physicality teams would surely use to stop their skill.

Seems like the team is reluctant to bring in some kids and I understand their reasoning to a point but really I'm not sure why they can't get at least a small taste at the right time and see what they've got and at worse show them what they need to go back down to work on. It's not like the guys they'd be replacing are doing a whole lot to help the team anyway and in Goldobin and Leipsic they're both turning the puck over more than any coach would like to see but are still given the chance over and over again.

If I'm Green after this roadtrip or not too long from now I try MacEwen, Dahlen, Guance and Sautner/Chatfield/Brisbois and sit Pouliot, Archibald and Schaller 3 guys not bringing enough to the team and possibly Goldobin and Leipsic at some point as well. 

I personally think at this point it's better to address the clearly weaker links on the team and see if those spots could be improved now or in the future with some very capable young players in Utica who could very well come in and make a strong positive impact immediately and also have these players like Archibald, Schaller, Pouliot, MDZ, Leipsic and Goldobin doing all they can to earn a spot on the team.

Anyway I feel like moving some Utica players in could give the team some much needed life and really see no reason to at least try a few kids out and if things worked out like I think they would I could really see MacEwen, Dahlen and Chatfield, Brisbois or Sautner getting this team to another level!

8 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

Seems like the team is reluctant to bring in some kids and I understand their reasoning to a point but really I'm not sure why they can't get at least a small taste at the right time and see what they've got and at worse show them what they need to go back down to work on.

One reason to consider is roster limits.  You can't always bring up players without sending others down, and many of the players on the big club's roster require waivers to go to the farm.

Another reason is to not fall into the trap Edmonton did.  If you just throw all the kids to the wolves, bad things happen.

Have patience.  It may take a year or two, but I am sure they will bring these kids up when they are good and ready.

Build up Goldobin & Leipsic's value, playing with the Magician & Bo. Maybe they can sweeten a pkg, in a month or two?

Our luck stinks. Boeser finally looks like he did last yr, then look what happens next!? If he gets back feeling good, I'd like to see:

Roussel - EP - Boeser

Baertschi - Bo - Virtanen

I'm by no means an expert but here is my opinion based off the Utica games I have watched and reports. Dahlen is not ready to play a 200ft game at the NHL level. The Canucks have stressed compete and commitment to a 200 foot game, every game. I'd say that this ideology has had a huge impact on the games of players like Goldy, Virt, ect. To bring Dahlen up when, at least from my eye test, he is not ready would be a complete disregard of their own strategy.

Bringing up players before they are ready had already negatively impacted this teams rebuild. Both Virt and McCann were brought into the league early because we were starved for offense. It could have been the end of both players career. We are fortunate that Virt has seemed to recovery, but its obvious that was a major road block in his early career.

Some people may disagree, but if you aren't entirely excelling at the AHL level, I see no reason to be brought up to the NHL level.

It's the injuries, always the injuries. Canucks have been missing 5 regulars, practically all season so far. If those guys were on the team and healthy, the Canucks would be in a much better place. My hope is they return soon, and the Alien/Aunt Bessie magic continues to develop and amaze. Getting Baertschi back with Horvat will help a lot as well. Having Edler, Sutter and Beagle back would sure help as well. The PK has been really bad lately, and Bo is shouldering the heavy work load with defensive zone faceoffs (tons of minutes), in addition to providing scoring. It's too much for one guy, and I could tell last game he was looking tired. I would've liked to see Goldobin step up and score one here and there. He's been disappointing.  

34 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

One reason to consider is roster limits.  You can't always bring up players without sending others down, and many of the players on the big club's roster require waivers to go to the farm.

Another reason is to not fall into the trap Edmonton did.  If you just throw all the kids to the wolves, bad things happen.

Have patience.  It may take a year or two, but I am sure they will bring these kids up when they are good and ready.

IIRC they currently have room for one more roster spot with the big club, moreover there were just in NY which would've been a good time to give Dahlen a game imo.  But they must have a reason and I haven't seen Dahlen play at all since the preseason.  I am sure he'll get his chance.

It takes time to develop chemistry and if you decide too quickly, you aren't really giving it a chance.  As these guys do figure each other out, it requires patience.  We were supposed to be watching them do so (have a period of figuring out, developing, etc.) so there's no rush in my view.

Same dilemma we had with the Sedins.  Sometimes when you have extremely gifted players it takes a bit of time to understand who, best, fits beside them.  To create an atmosphere where, over time, someone taps into their thinking...where they're going to be/go, etc.  I mean...Burrdin didn't happen overnight.  And who woulda thunk? 

Assuming someone will "fit" based on paper and similarities isn't a given.

Sometimes if you have two "over the top" skilled guys it's best TO have them separated so they can propel two lines instead of one.  It also gets pretty complex and sometimes a player who can do amazing things needs a line mate who keeps it simple and can capitalize on that (rather than match it).   We seem to be getting "too fancy" at times with extra passes when, sometimes, just getting a shot off is in order.   So it's important to have players communicate, understand each other and draw off each other's strengths (rather than having to "match" them).

How about we just let the kids obviously not yet ready for the NHL, continue their development in Utica where they should be, playing big minutes in key situations and wait for our injured players to come back to reinforce the currently waning, overtaxed team?

The Canucks lost a couple games. It's early in the season. Not a big deal IMO. The team has already exceeded expectations so far. 

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Dahlen and Pettersson reunited to see if they can make some magic together at some point. But Dahlen didn't make the team out of training camp for a reason so I don't think it's worth disrupting his development. It would be short sighted to call Dahlen up and it would be putting way too much pressure on him to see if he could spark something and get the team going. I would even go so far to say that it was a mistake to bring Gaudette up for the same reason. I don't think Gaudette has looked out of place, but at this stage I would rather have him playing 20+ minutes in Utica. 

The bigger question for me, is if the Canucks have anyone talented enough to complement Pettersson the way Panarin did with Kane.

We need new blood for sure, but it can equally come from outside the organization.

Benning has to figure out which of the players who are playing the best hockey of their careers are really on a permanent upswing and who is just going through a good stretch and will refer to their regular selves in the near future.  Guys like Hutton, Gudbranson, Gaunce, and Virtanen appear to have taken a big step.  It is almost certain that more than one of them will not be able to keep it up... that would be rare and remarkable.

Trading while the asset is high may be something to consider.  Hutton is probably the most likely to look worse by the end of the season than he does now... and we have Del Zotto to fill in and Hughes and Juolevi coming up for that side.  

Virtanen is probably at the other end where he is young enough that an upside is just natural progression and he may really be a solid 2nd line winger when all is said and done.

Got enough kids on the squad already and they're over achieving . We have soo many injuries and still we're unexpectedly hanging in there with some good teams.

I can't wait to see Dahlen and the rest of our promising prospects. However we should have patience and let them lap up the big minutes developing down on the farm.

Baby steps, no need to throw all our kids off the cliff hoping they fly. Pettersson is a good story, Boeser was last season. Bo the two seasons before that. Baby steps. Next season we'll likely see one or even two of Juolevi and Hughes. Demko will start knocking on the door next season as well hopefully. We are in no rush. This team is struggling cause we are missing two crucial centers, both of which are essential to our team defense, and our best defender. Our defensive anchors are out in Sutter, Beagle and Edler. Once they come back the team defense will improve, by extension opening things up more for guys like Goldy and Petey etc.

4 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

Seems like the team is reluctant to bring in some kids 

Come on lol our team is getting younger and younger...it isn't time to bring in dahlen yet , he's been hit and miss with his efforts. Once he finds consistency then maybe it makes sense but not yet. MacEwan may be next to come up but I don't think it makes sense either yet. Be patient man, in time things will fall in place.

4 hours ago, 250Integra said:

You say we're reluctant will bring up some kids yet this team is full of kids...

This.

I'm not sure how much younger we can get. According to NHLNumbers.com, we have an average age of 26. Only 3 teams have an average of less (and it's only by 1 year.)

Archived