The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Spraying Round Up on Forests

otherwise

'It blows my mind': How B.C. destroys a key natural wildfire defence every year

Provincial rules require spraying of fire-resistant aspen trees to make way for valuable conifers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/it-blows-my-mind-how-b-c-destroys-a-key-natural-wildfire-defence-every-year-1.4907358

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Round Up... what I don't think is properly explained in this article is that glyphoste kills (or at least damages) ANY broad leaf plant it hits, that would includes other lower story vegetation.

"Aspen - a place where the beer flows like wine" 

Lloyd Christmas 

-----

Seriously though, I'm all for the logging industry, what remains of it, but there has to be a better way of limiting the aspen growth. I'm fairly certain that aspens are among the first trees to grow and blanket a forest floor after fire or clearcut, and you obviously want to strip some of them out for planting different species, the problem is that the better ways cost too much money and take too much time. 

31 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Lloyd Christmas 

-----

Seriously though, I'm all for the logging industry, what remains of it, but there has to be a better way of limiting the aspen growth. I'm fairly certain that aspens are among the first trees to grow and blanket a forest floor after fire or clearcut, and you obviously want to strip some of them out for planting different species, the problem is that the better ways cost too much money and take too much time. 

And causes cellular damage in any and every animal coming into contact with it.

21 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Lloyd Christmas 

-----

in northern bc the alder is the menace, deciduous and its growth rate is faster ,and in its green stage april to sept, it does very well with photosynthesis ,and does a good job at supplying nitrogen to the soil  But after the leaves fall and start rotting they produce methane ,so any benefit from photosynthesis with regards to this particular species becomes a saw off especially in out of control stands  ,its at this very time of the year if you walk near large stands of alder you can smell the dank ,mouldy stink , that would be methane.  deliberate  composting requires rotation , agitation , oxygen , while the natural setting leaves pile up year after year ,this is when the methane effect over takes the photosynthesis benefit, adjacent to a hwy its also dangerous as its a shade/frost producing menace and the ministry of hwys does take the alder growth seriously , i've been involved with numerous danger tree removals ,on the mainland and haida Gwaii. 

BC hydro and PNG  have used roundup on their right of way  for years on their inaccessible areas while using brushing or flail machinery in easier terrain. and since their infrastructure isnt going anywhere for the unforeseeable future they'll continue to do the most cost effective methods .

3 hours ago, otherwise said:

'It blows my mind': How B.C. destroys a key natural wildfire defence every year

Provincial rules require spraying of fire-resistant aspen trees to make way for valuable conifers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/it-blows-my-mind-how-b-c-destroys-a-key-natural-wildfire-defence-every-year-1.4907358

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Round Up... what I don't think is properly explained in this article is that glyphoste kills (or at least damages) ANY broad leaf plant it hits, that would includes other lower story vegetation.

Glyphosate causes cancers, but most prolifically, breast cancer.

5 hours ago, chon derry said:

in northern bc the alder is the menace, deciduous and its growth rate is faster ,and in its green stage april to sept, it does very well with photosynthesis ,and does a good job at supplying nitrogen to the soil  But after the leaves fall and start rotting they produce methane ,so any benefit from photosynthesis with regards to this particular species becomes a saw off especially in out of control stands  ,its at this very time of the year if you walk near large stands of alder you can smell the dank ,mouldy stink , that would be methane.  deliberate  composting requires rotation , agitation , oxygen , while the natural setting leaves pile up year after year ,this is when the methane effect over takes the photosynthesis benefit, adjacent to a hwy its also dangerous as its a shade/frost producing menace and the ministry of hwys does take the alder growth seriously , i've been involved with numerous danger tree removals ,on the mainland and haida Gwaii. 

I wish I had more time to engage in this conversation as it's one that interests me.

Thanks for the info, chon.

Archived