The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Future Is 2020, Not Now.

I think I started this thread a few weeks ago and it just sat in the background, instead of erasing …..chit chat

The flash and dash of Pettersson is great and shows promise for the future. For this team the future is not now.

If the general consensus is building through the draft then the team should go all in for one super star player they know will be around for a decade or longer and then use some of the previous 50+ draft picks/prospects.

Jack Hughes isn't the guy, good but not THE guy. 2020 Alexis Lafrenière is a player that appears to have already out stripped every player 3 years older than himself.

Horvat will have been with the team around 7 years by 2020, most of that time losing, maybe just trade for dmen? Should be lots of draft picks around by then as assets as well.

Three good scoring lines centered by EP, AL and Horvat, Pittsburgh has 2 franchise players and a couple of big stars, TO similar Why not?

It's a good point, (the time not being now).

They've got some great (and promising) players with the team now: Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Gaudette

But most of the young guys are still developing in their own leagues. It will take time before everyone is up. I think in 2-3 years time, the Canucks will be a force.  

On 11/19/2018 at 5:26 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

Horvat will have been with the team around 7 years by 2020, most of that time losing, maybe just trade for dmen? Should be lots of draft picks around by then as assets as well.

Three good scoring lines centered by EP, AL and Horvat, Pittsburgh has 2 franchise players and a couple of big stars, TO similar Why not?

If we get either JH or AL we’ve got it in the bag.  Horvat isn’t chopped liver either, it’s possible with that line-up we’d be as deep and talented in Cs as any team in the league...TO is now the top team in the league, without Mathews, because Kadri can play in the top six and actually do well.     All we need is a top ten goalie to go with that formula and the world is our oyster under the cap.

We cant continue to rebuild forever. At some point, we have to start being aggressive in making some bold moves. Say we get lucky pick 1 or 2 and we have another fantastic draft, we will be in a position to move away some prospects, for an impact forward or D. We definitely have to find a solution in goal and make our top 6 harder a bit hard nosed. Kreider, Ferland type of player. 

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

We cant continue to rebuild forever. At some point, we have to start being aggressive in making some bold moves. Say we get lucky pick 1 or 2 and we have another fantastic draft, we will be in a position to move away some prospects, for an impact forward or D. We definitely have to find a solution in goal and make our top 6 harder a bit hard nosed. Kreider, Ferland type of player. 

Add Stone in FA and Hughes/Kakko in the Draft and we are good to go next year.

14 hours ago, KKnight said:

This is true.  I’ve come into the season watching a completey different post-Sedin team working on their identity and haven’t been dissapointed in the least.  Despite the injuries to key players and sub-par goaltending this team fights every game and hustles.   Not many blow-outs, almost every game is within two goals, often just one, that’s a good indicator that we are close.

Mixed feelings about the losing streak we are currently in, it’s a big deep hole and all the early capital we gained on other struggling teams in our division is gone.  All the winning, particularly against great teams and contenders almost fooled me into thinking maybe nows the time to strike and make a bold move to resolve our RHD issue and or a blue chip goalie in his late twenties/early thirties to share the crease with Demko in a year or so.  

See im still on the side of tanking, EP is a revelation but as we know from EDMs struggles one superstar is not enough, even with Draistal.  OJ is still a question mark as to what his impact will be, and I understand where Burke is coming from when he says “gentleman, that’s a small body, a small body” when it comes to Hughes (I’m pretty sure he will be fine but not 100% sold yet that getting smaller is going to be good for the long term, I worry about injuries and the last thing we need is a top player that’s out half the time again, hello Tanev, hello Salo, hello Edler).  

But as for your point at some time the rebuild needs to switch focuses into the present and fill holes.  RHD and goaltending plus another top six winger/first liner would be enough at this point.  Benning needs to consider trading one or more of his “untouchables”, maybe as soon as this year, the following one for sure.

I agree looking into the future, Trade some vets Edler to Tampa at the TDL for Taylor Raddysh retain on Edler. Sutter (retain)at the TDL to Florida for Borgstrom. Both are top six guys in the making. Big and can skate.

Demen resign Edler and the best R handed D man avalible  also trade DZ for what you can get.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:41 AM, vannuck59 said:

I agree looking into the future, Trade some vets Edler to Tampa at the TDL for Taylor Raddysh retain on Edler. Sutter (retain)at the TDL to Florida for Borgstrom. Both are top six guys in the making. Big and can skate.

Demen resign Edler and the best R handed D man avalible  also trade DZ for what you can get.

Trade for picks and use the cap space to enhance the picks. Any playoff bound team's 1rst could/would be in play.

Getting a 1rst round selection usually gets a player that can play in the NHL within 2 years or less.

Maybe get enough 1rsts and a teams like Kings or Ducks might/will deal their #1 for 3 or 4 firsts or combination of 1rsts and prospects.

Especially if they are dealing away their 2020 1rst. If a labour dispute then the 2020 pick may/will be forgotten about by the start of the next season. There will be the expansion draft to deal with and many trades, or retirements.

Archived