The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kabul wedding hall blast kills 43 people

PhillipBlunt

Kabul wedding hall blast kills 43, Afghan officials say

By Ehsan Popalzai and Bianca Britton, CNN
43 mins ago

Afghan health workers carry an injured person after the latest Kabul attack.© JAWAD JALALI/EPA-EFE Afghan health workers carry an injured person after the latest Kabul attack.

A suicide bombing at a wedding hall in the Afghan capital has killed at least 43 people and injured scores more, officials said, in one of the deadliest attacks to hit the city this year.

The blast ripped through a venue near Kabul's international airport, where a gathering of religious scholars was taking place, the Afghan interior ministry said. The attack took place at around 6:15 p.m. local time. At least 82 people were injured, the health ministry reported.

Afghan religious scholars wait outside the emergency hospital after a suicide bomber targeted a religious gathering at a wedding hall in Kabul.© HEDAYATULLAH AMID/EPA-EFE Afghan religious scholars wait outside the emergency hospital after a suicide bomber targeted a religious gathering at a wedding hall in Kabul.

The blast was carried out by a suicide bomber, according to Najib Danish, spokesman for the Afghan Ministry of the Interior. The gathering was being held to mark the birthday of the Prophet Mohammed, he said. No claim of responsibility has yet been made.

A man injured in the suicide bombing in Kabul is brought into a hospital.© Rahmat Gul/AP A man injured in the suicide bombing in Kabul is brought into a hospital.

Despite diplomatic efforts to end the 17-year war in Afghanistan, the security situation in the country has deteriorated sharply in recent months.

In August, at least 34 people were killed in an attack which targeted an education center. Among the victims were thought to be dozens of teenagers studying English.

Then in September, 20 people, including two journalists, were killed in twin bomb attacks on a wrestling club for which ISIS claimed responsibility. The second blast was detonated after emergency services, journalists and police arrived at the scene.

In July, a UN report said the number of Afghan civilians killed in the first six months of 2018 had reached a record high. Almost 1,700 civilians were killed from January 1 to June 30, a total higher than at any comparable time over the last 10 years, according to the UN. Kabul was one of the most dangerous places in Afghanistan for civilians, the report said.

Just horrible.

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Very little is mentioned about the violence in Afghanistan these days. Sadly it is the worst it has been in years. Stories like the one posted happen often.

Be glad we get to live in Canada.

That's part of the reason I felt compelled to post this. If this had happened in a western nation/city, the news coverage would be all-encompassing, night and day for the next two weeks.

Words fail me. The horrors and atrocities that continue to happen in this day and age are inexcusable.

I count my lucky stars that I was born where I was. I could not imagine what life must be like in those parts of the world.

The human race makes me sick and I am very ashamed to be a part of it most of the time. I wait for the day that Mother Earth has had enough of our crap and exterminates us. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not so sure about that.

content-1024x679.jpg

London surpassed NY for the most murders this year, so I wouldn't be too excited any numbers floating around. The end result is that the world is becoming less safe to live in and it is speeding up towards more violence. 

Many countries (like London) are disarming their citizens but then the violence is committed use another weapon. We need to get back to not hating each other so much. 

3 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

London surpassed NY for the most murders this year, so I wouldn't be too excited any numbers floating around. The end result is that the world is becoming less safe to live in and it is speeding up towards more violence. 

Many countries (like London) are disarming their citizens but then the violence is committed use another weapon. We need to get back to not hating each other so much. 

I'm pretty sure what @PhillipBlunt was saying is that North America is hardly some utopia where senseless mass killings don't happen. 

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's part of the reason I felt compelled to post this. If this had happened in a western nation/city, the news coverage would be all-encompassing, night and day for the next two weeks.

there has been fighting there since the Russians invaded in 78 - what do you expect?  Calling is a lawless region is an accurate statement.  

1 hour ago, 406in604 said:

New York's murder rate has been dropping for years and isn't even in the top 30 of US cities these days. London has seen a spike but it is nowhere near some places in the US. The US has 5 cities in the top 50 where reliable stats are available. 

11 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

New York's murder rate has been dropping for years and isn't even in the top 30 of US cities these days. London has seen a spike but it is nowhere near some places in the US. The US has 5 cities in the top 50 where reliable stats are available. 

Yep, worlds a mess. 

1 hour ago, 406in604 said:

The BBC shed a little light on that claim:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44807271

2 hours ago, 406in604 said:

1) interesting I didn't know that. Meanwhile Britain doesn't have guns.

2) Since when did London become a Country? :P

I'm not trying to sound very elitist, privileged or whatever (insert whatever)-centric...  

The world should just barricade those places.  The West isn't perfect, but as a whole our society is advancing forward.  

Those backward places... lets not use some kind of moral/societal equivalency... those places are donkey backwards as they come.  Many defenders goes off comparing that how the European middles ages or whatever was terrible, etc.... but even with the gift of the modern world like cell phones, TV, computers, the Internet, aviation.... they're still unable and unwilling to join the modern world.  

Here, we are talking about how to prepare for the potential Mars mission, about returning to the Moon, and discovering the latest in technologies, etc.  But over that part of the world, they're still worried about black magic, genies and believing in magic carpets.  

Archived