The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 1st overall pick

KKnight

With the recent struggles, With injury and keeping the puck put of our net. 

If you knew now that we would receive 1st overall (J.Hughes), how would you approach the tdl, draft and offseason? 

Would you sell off as many depreciating assets as possible or be selective in selling off certain veterans?

Do you think anybody would be interested in Eriksson, now that people see all the little things he does? 

Would you be conservative in the offseason or try and make bold moves, now that we would have a core group together. 

If it was me and we got Hughes. I would do the following: 

1. Beef up the top 6. I'd inquire on players like Benn, Kreider, Ferland (unlikely), maybe Saad. 

2. Address the right side D, With a youngish two way dman. Porayko, Trouba. 

I understand thats wishful thinking, but that would be my perogitive going in to the offseason. 

What would be yours?

9 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If you knew now that we would receive 1st overall (J.Hughes), how would you approach the tdl, draft and offseason? 

Would you sell off as many depreciating assets as possible or be selective in selling off certain veterans?

Do you think anybody would be interested in Eriksson, now that people see all the little things he does? 

Would you be conservative in the offseason or try and make bold moves, now that we would have a core group together. 

Erikssons contract is untradeble, our only hope of losing a year from the deal is Seattle at this point.  Sutter remains our best chip, injuries won’t help the return but his body of work is good enough for a late first to a contender under the right circumstances (their shutdown c is injured perhaps).  Ask Edler to waive and tell him we will re-sign him if he does (rental).   Maybe Gags sticks and scores enough to get us a bag off pucks.  Other than that not much we can trade, as far as vets go.  Now ask me if we should consider trading a young player for a decent starter or a top pairing RHD...but who for who?  

You're not going to like this but......

Nothing should be done any differently.  Benning is doing the best he can with all of the above for the benefit of the entire team.  Doing something special for one player not only doesn't need to be done but helps to create a culture of entitlement.

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

1. Beef up the top 6. I'd inquire on players like Benn, Kreider, Ferland (unlikely), maybe Saad. 

I understand thats wishful thinking, but that would be my perogitive going in to the offseason. 

What would be yours?

Do you think anyone would for 6 million a year? None of the "little things he does" add up to a lot of interest.

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

I just want to know how we would know at the trade deadline that we have the first overall pick when the draft lottery takes place later.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Erikssons contract is untradeble, our only hope of losing a year from the deal is Seattle at this point.  Sutter remains our best chip, injuries won’t help the return but his body of work is good enough for a late first to a contender under the right circumstances (their shutdown c is injured perhaps).  Ask Edler to waive and tell him we will re-sign him if he does (rental).   Maybe Gags sticks and scores enough to get us a bag off pucks.  Other than that not much we can trade, as far as vets go.  Now ask me if we should consider trading a young player for a decent starter or a top pairing RHD...but who for who?  

He's owed $13 mill salary and bonuses over the next 3 years. Will have been paid $25 mill the first 3 years.

The first years were, in fact, a write off! But $4 mill per season for a better than average 3rd liner is fine.  The last two years his NTC filters down to a Modifed NTC. Terms IDK? 

He could be moved in the last two years pretty easily.  Don't know that he will?

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

What would be yours?

With 13 players off contract this season and about 23 million in cap with these players im hopeful JB will get something done at the TDL. Who do we keep out of Granlund, Motte, Gaunce, Archibald, Leipsic, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Nilsson. What do we do with Edler and  Hutton, do we resign them although Hutton is playing better this season.. Im tipping Goldobin gets another show me contract and Boeser gets resigned multi year. We cant keep them all and hoping we can get some draft picks at TDL  and go into 2019 Draft with some options to trade up with the extra draft picks. Thoughts 

Have the Canucks ever had a 1st. 0A PICK,

It would be nice to get some LUCK (NOT SKILL BUT LUCK) at the lotto draft.

Even with J.Benning doing wonders at the draft an elite game changing player like another EP would really help this team now that we could use a bit of help, with the rebuild.

First thing I will do before the lottery is buy lots of tickets to the draft (since we will win)....

then 2 things will happen lol. We draft hughes at #1 or McDavid pulls a fast one and demands a trade to us and we are asked for the Hughes brothers in return lol.. (def wont happen)....

We still should continue forward this year if we are rebuilding even if we get Hughes. We can use our current team and non core essentials to draft more defenceman or BPA and get younger and better.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] 1st overall pick

Archived