The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Reid Boucher, reassign Brendan Gaunce

-Vintage Canuck-

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Folks here still under the illusion that Gaunce is "slow"?

Have a go at joining us in 2018.   Gaunce's skating has nothing to do with it - he's actually developed into quite a good skater.

Maybe its those other nagging stats management is more concerned about than how fast his skating has improved.  Like 15 points in 117 NHL games played.  At least Pyatt had almost one third the amount of points he had games played. 280 / 859.   And its no wonder if you actually watch him play. Soft, slow (in reading the ice) and below average hockey IQ.  I can't wait until our prospects develop and get on the team and we can look back and laugh at the scrubs we thought were actual viable contending team pieces. 

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Maybe its those other nagging stats management is more concerned about than how fast his skating has improved.  Like 15 points in 117 NHL games played.  At least Pyatt had almost one third the amount of points he had games played. 280 / 859.   And its no wonder if you actually watch him play. Soft, slow (in reading the ice) and below average hockey IQ.  I can't wait until our prospects develop and get on the team and we can look back and laugh at the scrubs we thought were actual viable contending team pieces. 

Gaunce reminds me of Virt a couple of years ago. 

Gaunce is a very good defensive player positionally but is too soft.

He needs to realize that he has to stand up to the older players and grow a bit of a mean streak. 

Utica is the best place for him for now but I would not give up on him just yet. He is just losing his baby fat. 

34 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Gaunce reminds me of Virt a couple of years ago. 

Gaunce is a very good defensive player positionally but is too soft.

He needs to realize that he has to stand up to the older players and grow a bit of a mean streak. 

Utica is the best place for him for now but I would not give up on him just yet. He is just losing his baby fat. 

Green was very familiar with Gaunce in the AHL. He knows what Gaunce's play is like. Obviously he thought he isn't NHL calibre (yet).

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks are desperate for someone to bring a heavy shot.  Would love to see Boucher given some prime offensive minutes to show he can produce at this level. 

I second that.  Some of his shifts he looks as good as anyone on the ice in the offensive zone, and his numbers are respectable given his line mates in the past, Id like to see if he can deliver on some of EPs crafty dishes that seem to surprise everyone including his own teammates.   Boucher has a chance of a lifetime right now, hope he explodes allowing Boeser to play with Horvat when he returns.

39 minutes ago, 6string said:

Boucher's preseason was really decent, he showed off that laser of a shot a few times.

He has earned in chance, now put him in a position to succeed. Top six minutes with PP time to see if he can play at this level.

Is Boucher fit enough (or even have the cardio gift) to play top minutes with EP?  Yes, he’s a good scorer, but (maybe?) he just doesn’t have the natural cardio to play at an elite level for top line minutes?  Not everyone is created equally.

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

This is too true.  As much as I want to feel good about our own draft picks doing well he is actually not a player that should be in your line up if your making serous push.  

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Boucher fit enough (or even have the cardio gift) to play top minutes with EP?  Yes, he’s a good scorer, but (maybe?) he just doesn’t have the natural cardio to play at an elite level for top line minutes?  Not everyone is created equally.

Being a Phil Kessel type of fit is the goal Boucher should be reaching for. I recall Stecher lapping him two preseasons back in a skating/cardio drill.

Just now, 6string said:

Being a Phil Kessel type of fit is the goal Boucher should be reaching for. I recall Stecher lapping him two preseasons back in a skating/cardio drill.

I’m thinking Boucher is (likely?) getting as fit as he can, but he’s just blessed with natural cardio.  I wish Boucher could skate like Kessel.  Kessel is super fast.  We might be surprised at how well Boucher can do with EP.  Boucher has to be quicker than Errikson, no?  

is this maybe in part a waiver eligibility roster management move?  gaunce was called up october 31st.  if he stays up 30 days he has to clear waivers a second time.  by calling up boucher now they reward boucher and avoid having to pass gaunce through waivers so they can call him up at least one more time.

of course they are keeping archie up even though he was called up on october 23rd.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking Boucher is (likely?) getting as fit as he can, but he’s just blessed with natural cardio.  I wish Boucher could skate like Kessel.  Kessel is super fast.  We might be surprised at how well Boucher can do with EP.  Boucher has to be quicker than Errikson, no?  

The only option Reid has is to find spacings or sweet spots to get his shot off, his game won't be off the rush but more likely from set plays or puck posession cycles.

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Pointing out Gaunce's offensive levels as indicative of his level of play is like looking at Boeser's blocked shot totals to determine how good he is. What's more, Gaunce's offense has been trending upwards recently so a simple summary of his career points-per-game doesn't tell the story of the trend.

Archived