The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How big of a set back? Sven Baertschi gets dizzy while skating.

xereau

This doesn't sound very good.

https://www.tsn.ca/baertschi-concussion-gets-dizzy-skating-1.1214547

Baertschi (concussion) gets dizzy skating

Vancouver Canucks forward Sven Baertschi has been out since Oct. 24 due to a concussion and it doesn’t appear his return to the lineup is imminent.

Baertschi told Swiss news outlet Blick that he returned to skating last weekend, but had to leave the ice shortly after the session began.

“Last Saturday I returned to the ice in training for the first time since October 24th,” Baertschi said, per Google Translate. “But I had to stop this exercise after 15 minutes, because I was so dizzy. As soon as I move and spin properly, I see everything around me completely blurry and have a headache.”

Baertschi sustained his concussion on a hit from Vegas Golden Knights forward Tomas Hyka. He missed nine games in February 2017 due a concussion and told the Blick that he's suffered a total of four or five concussions in his playing career.

The 26-year-old was limited to 53 games last season due to a broken jaw and a separated shoulder, but was off to a productive start this year before the hit from Hyka. He has three goals and six points in 10 games this season.

Baertschi, who is in the first season of a three-year, $10.1 million contract, said he plans to be patient in his recovery.

"A concussion can be cured after one and a half weeks, but it can take months," Baertschi said. "In this situation, I have no choice but to wait and think positive in spite of everything. "

"If I returned to the game too soon after the injury, it could be more serious. And that's a too high price for me, after all, I also want to be able to enjoy my life after my hockey career with my family. "

This is scary. Taking this long, and still having fairly serious symptoms. I hope Sven's career isn't as adversely affected as Albert's was. Regardless of whether he is a first, second or third line winger, Sven is important to this team. He has steadily been on pace for 20 goal years for the last three, and does play a halfway decent 200' game. I would hate for a hit like what he suffered to be a career ending one. I would also hate for the league office to continue to ignore this issue; they really need to give this much more attention. It's not like the players have immense protection to their head.

And why wasn't the hit from Hyka even looked at by the league office? I've seen replays; I don't see "intent to injure", but I sure don't see someone not trying very hard either

A shame that this went completely unnoticed by the league and  yet, could impact his future.

It shows how important it is for them to quit picking and choosing and start eliminating head shots...period.  No if's and's or but's.   Even if accidental, at least a penalty because, "although you didn't mean it, it happened".  Guys would be more careful. 

Wish Sven all the best in his recovery.  He was one of my favourites and he is greatly missed.

this makes me so angry, I followed Alberts after he was hit, and I believe it was a dirty hit, but nothing was done about it, and now Sven with the same thing. Bettman and his merry friends talk about getting rid of these head hits that injure a player long term.  but , to me they are doing a lousy job of it.

47 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

This is scary. Taking this long, and still having fairly serious symptoms. I hope Sven's career isn't as adversely affected as Albert's was. Regardless of whether he is a first, second or third line winger, Sven is important to this team. He has steadily been on pace for 20 goal years for the last three, and does play a halfway decent 200' game. I would hate for a hit like what he suffered to be a career ending one. I would also hate for the league office to continue to ignore this issue; they really need to give this much more attention. It's not like the players have immense protection to their head.

And why wasn't the hit from Hyka even looked at by the league office? I've seen replays; I don't see "intent to injure", but I sure don't see someone not trying very hard either

Accidental collision - just like the McLeod one.  

Wonder if the league even bothered looking at it as the stats keeper didn't even register a hit on the play.

9 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Might be the end of his career. 

Quite possible.  My brother suffered a head injury that had these kinds of symptoms weeks after the accident.  This didn't go away for over a decade (dizziness during activity) but it did slowly reduce in severity and other symptoms never went away.  He still gets vertigo cycling near cliffs, but that's a lot better than the first years.

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That loser Hyka should be suspended indefinitely. Seriously. Why are their officials even on the ice when they refuse to do the most basic parts of their job. I hope that when the Canucks play the Knights next, someone sends that tool headfirst into the boards.

Just DDT him on to the ice

Hope Sven has a full recovery and is back sooner than later.  I don’t know if all these injuries our team and others are experiencing is a sign of the times with smaller skilled guys getting drafted as a priority, but I sure hope the Canucks buck the trend.  Whenever we lose a player because of a play that is caused by a fringe guy or nominal player, it grates me.  I hope that Hughes is smart enough to survive this league, and any future guys that are sub six feet too.

As I posted in the injury report thread

"

Ex CFl'er Matt Dunigan tells a story about his last concussion. He was left in an away  hospital for observation after a game; he checked out of the hospital, cabbed to the airport flew home, and took a cab to his house. He got there very early and when he couldn't figure out how to use his door key, he sat on the steps till his wife came out to check the mail. He called it a career at that point.

I hope Baer recovers from this injury and also hope he never gets another head injury, even if he does retire because of it.

Best of luck Baer.

Damn.  Maybe we do need some McSorleys and Semenkos out there before our team turns into a lineup of Marc Savards and Troy Gambles.

Demko's already getting a taste of the Troy Gamble career trajectory and it took less than a dozen games for Petterson to get his bell rung and get put in the quiet room for a handful of games.  Baertschi, who else...

Archived