The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former NHL referee Mick McGeough is on life support

Mackcanuck

:(

They posted this update to his GoFundMe page:

Update: It is with sad hearts that we are letting you know that Mick will not be recovering, the damage is irreversible. He has been brought back to Regina to be with his family at this time. Life support will be removed and he will go on his terms. Thank you so much for your generous support. 

Wow.

Always remember Mick emphatically waving his arms at a goal or no goal call.

Doesn't seem like that long ago he hung em up?

It's always so sad when somebody so full of life has a long career only to have his life in retirement marred with sickness. 

Life is short and we are not bulletproof.

33 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I have no idea why people donate. This guy made millions of dollars. His family doesn't need money. Donate your money to something or someone that actually needs it. Literally just padding the pockets of the rich. 

He by no means made millions over his 14 years.  '94 - '08.  At the start of his career, linesmen were coming off of a strike where their pay was raising just past 50k. 

If you became a linesman today your starting pay would only be 110k.  Depending on where you live, you're not exactly gonna be buying Stirling silver toilet seats.  The highest tenured referee in the league this year will do well and top out at 360k.

Over his 14 years on the ice, McGeough would have made just enough to comfortably raise his family and then he retired from reffing then took a desk job for the NHL/AHL referee training circuit. 

Now his friends have set up a 10k fund to help bury him in a nice grave for his family to visit once he's gone.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/how-much-nhl-referees-get-paid

refs get such a bad rep sometimes but at the end of the day they're all human beings. we gotta put that stupid bull**** aside and remind ourselves that these guys all have friends and family too. its pretty sad that some people can't put that aside and make these snide comments, thinking they're funny. i feel for the guy's family

On Mr McGeough(remember Tom Larchseid laughing at his name) of course wish him the best in terms of health, that's humanly-possible.

On the ice, I'll honestly say he wasn't a good reff. There aren't many like say, Bill McCreary. Wish every one of them held such a level.

Reffs "sticking together"? That's a separate matter. Professionally, I prefer they honestly do their jobs. Off-ice, of course one would expect/hope they're friendly with, & supportive of each other. That's natural..in shared-occupation bringing people into a similar group/circle of frienship.

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

On Mr McGeough(remember Tom Larchseid laughing at his name) of course wish him the best in terms of health, that's humanly-possible.

On the ice, I'll honestly say he wasn't a good reff. There aren't many like say, Bill McCreary. Wish every one of them held such a level.

Reffs "sticking together"? That's a separate matter. Professionally, I prefer they honestly do their jobs. Off-ice, of course one would expect/hope they're friendly with, & supportive of each other. That's natural..in shared-occupation bringing people into a similar group/circle of frienship.

You did read the part where they're taking him off life support, right?

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You did read the part where they're taking him off life support, right?

No(to be honest)..I thought the thread was about some serious health-challenge, initially. It (was 5 am) here, & lots happening today. Didn't read closely.

My comments were about reffs(in general), & I probably chose the wrong thread to discuss such matters.

Apologies to yourself, & whoever else may have taken offense.

Took me six months to recover to normal, and that was a mild stroke in my late 40's.

As my retired Doctor said, "Some folks who are older and get a stroke don't get a second chance..."

Not a way to go for anyone. 

I question refs a lot of times. But that's just in game. Away from the ice they are people like you and me. 

Sad to hear. 

Archived