The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Darren Archibald placed on waivers

Toyotasfan

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Arch had one more great opportunity to really bring it... and he just didn't. No surprise here. 

I actually liked what he brought. He was physical (a lot more so than Schaller), he stood up for teammates and for himself. He can fight if he has to as well. A bit of an intimidating presence. I'm actually at a loss why he'd be the one to go.

5 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I actually liked what he brought. He was physical (a lot more so than Schaller), he stood up for teammates and for himself. He can fight if he has to as well. A bit of an intimidating presence. I'm actually at a loss why he'd be the one to go.

Maybe this was a contract thing?

7 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

I'm not sure I saw the same effect you did.

Don't get me wrong - I like Archibald - but he didn't make a particularly notable impression as physical - no more so than Schaller (and their hit numbers are virtually equal relative to their ice time) - didn't appear to 'intimidate' anyone.

I think it comes down to simple effectiveness.

Schaller has had 33.8% ozone starts with a corsi of 44.4%.

Archie 47.1% ozone starts and a corsi of 41.2%.

Schaller's on ice goals against is also slightly stronger - something important for shutdown forwards.  Part of that gap might be explained by Schaller having played more when this team was healthy, with stronger shutdown units, but still, overall, I do think he's the better defensive forward.

I've found both of them slightly disappointing in one sense to be honest - and that's in the area of pushback and physicality.  I'd hoped they'd be more assertive - leaders in the area of team toughness, sending messages after the whistles, getting in people's faces and putting opponents on notice that liberties will be answered.  I'm not sure I've seen much of that.  I don't expect them to run around chasing hits or initiating conflicts, but there have been times where the team needed a guy to step up and lead in these areas - particularly in the ozone where our D -ie Gudbranson - are constrained because if they join the scrum it has an effect on the game - of taking the faceoff out of the ozone.  Ideally, your principal 'enforcer' is not a blueliner, where losing a D to the box can have a really negative effect on the team, particularly when it's already icing a depleted blueline.  I've liked the team's efforts overall this year, but one area they could stand to have more assertiveness and intent are in these areas that hopefully Archie and Schaller would have stepped up - and for whatever reason that hasn't seemed to be the case.

28 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

thats funny, I disagree with all of that :lol: I thought he didn't use his physicality anywhere near as much as he could or needed to. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats funny, I disagree with all of that :lol: I thought he didn't use his physicality anywhere near as much as he could or needed to. 

I think he tried to be physically involved, but he doesn’t skate well enough to get to the puck, before it’s gone.  He’d just be talking penalties.  He’d have to go full Lucic, and take penalties for being a goon, who can’t skate, so he attacks guys after whistles.

I thought he may have gotten claimed at the start of the season. I do not see any teams biting now though. He has no real nhl future unfortuntely. He can be a good call up guy when he gives it his all. GL in Utica Darren. best of luck mate.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure I saw the same effect you did.

Don't get me wrong - I like Archibald - but he didn't make a particularly notable impression as physical - no more so than Schaller (and their hit numbers are virtually equal relative to their ice time) - didn't appear to 'intimidate' anyone.

I think it comes down to simple effectiveness.

Schaller has had 33.8% ozone starts with a corsi of 44.4%.

Archie 47.1% ozone starts and a corsi of 41.2%.

Schaller's on ice goals against is also slightly stronger - something important for shutdown forwards.  Part of that gap might be explained by Schaller having played more when this team was healthy, with stronger shutdown units, but still, overall, I do think he's the better defensive forward.

I've found both of them slightly disappointing in one sense to be honest - and that's in the area of pushback and physicalityI'd hoped they'd be more assertive - leaders in the area of team toughness, sending messages after the whistles, getting in people's faces and putting opponents on notice that liberties will be answered.  I'm not sure I've seen much of that.  I don't expect them to run around chasing hits or initiating conflicts, but there have been times where the team needed a guy to step up and lead in these areas - particularly in the ozone where our D -ie Gudbranson - are constrained because if they join the scrum it has an effect on the game - of taking the faceoff out of the ozone.  Ideally, your principal 'enforcer' is not a blueliner, where losing a D to the box can have a really negative effect on the team, particularly when it's already icing a depleted blueline.  I've liked the team's efforts overall this year, but one area they could stand to have more assertiveness and intent are in these areas that hopefully Archie and Schaller would have stepped up - and for whatever reason that hasn't seemed to be the case.

I seen the same as you did. These guys primary jobs on the team is to provide aggressiveness and physicality. Although we have had intermittent instances of this there has been no consistent effort, especially from those two.

I would much rather have the opposition "on their toes" because they don't know what to expect from our aggressive guys. They seem to be basically" ignored" most games and the only one who has consistently provided the right amount of aggressive/physicality is Jake and he is still learning. Roussel has done a great job as well. 

The good thing that I like is that TG is giving guys opportunity to show him what they've got ,or, they are  moved along for someone else that shows they can do the job.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think he tried to be physically involved, but he doesn’t skate well enough to get to the puck, before it’s gone.  He’d just be talking penalties.  He’d have to go full Lucic, and take penalties for being a goon, who can’t skate, so he attacks guys after whistles.

That was my biggest criticism of him in the summer. If his first few steps were a touch quicker he might have a chance.  He can get to speed but it takes him to long to reach that speed with all the stopping and starting in the nhl.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That was my biggest criticism of him in the summer. If his first few steps were a touch quicker he might have a chance.  He can get to speed but it takes him to long to reach that speed with all the stopping and starting in the nhl.

Yup.  Same goes for Gaunce.  NHL is too quick for both those guys.  

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I seen the same as you did. These guys primary jobs on the team is to provide aggressiveness and physicality. Although we have had intermittent instances of this there has been no consistent effort, especially from those two.

I would much rather have the opposition "on their toes" because they don't know what to expect from our aggressive guys. They seem to be basically" ignored" most games and the only one who has consistently provided the right amount of aggressive/physicality is Jake and he is still learning. Roussel has done a great job as well. 

The good thing that I like is that TG is giving guys opportunity to show him what they've got ,or, they are  moved along for someone else that shows they can do the job.

I agree in general (in terms of the forwards only) - but Tyler Motte certainly deserves principal recognition - he's actually been more consistent than JV in my opinion and has probably lead the team in being consistently hard-to-play-against this season.

I love Archie.  but he is 2 different people.  Jekel and Hyde

In the AHL he is Jekel, fast, aggressive and mean.  Punishes forwards and d men on the forecheck, crashes the net and beats on people if needed.

In the NHL he Hydes from all of that and tries to play a different game as a different player.

He's had I think 6 call ups in the last few years and each time has been a different person than what has made him successful in the AHL.  Until he figures out how to be consistent he's never going to be anything moe than an AHL call up

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree in general (in terms of the forwards only) - but Tyler Motte certainly deserves principal recognition - he's actually been more consistent than JV in my opinion and has probably lead the team in being consistently hard-to-play-against this season.

Motte made his presence felt again last night... especially by Martinez.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't see Motte as being any type of an intimidating individual by any stretch of the imagination. However,  someone that gives 110% and provides a spark and energy, Motte is your guy. 

He is our new version of Hansen IMO.

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't see Motte as being any type of an intimidating individual by any stretch of the imagination. However,  someone that gives 110% and provides a spark and energy, Motte is your guy. 

He is our new version of Hansen IMO.

this isn't simply about 'intimidation - it's also about physicality and no one has brought it with the consistency of Motte, who hits, forechecks and goes to the hard areas at every single opportunity.  JV may play a physical game, but he too 'intimidate' no one.

Archived