The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Darren Archibald placed on waivers

Toyotasfan

Canucks make it official:

Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has reassigned forward Darren Archibald to the Utica Comets.

Archibald, 28, has split the 2018.19 season between Utica and Vancouver. He has collected six points (4-2-6) in eight games with the Comets and two points (1-1-2) in nine games with the Canucks.  

Archibald has appeared in 52 career NHL games, collecting 14 points (6-8-14) and 26 penalty minutes.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-darren-archibald/c-302314990

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Have to wonder, he didn't play the previous game so there's no real reason he couldn't have gone back on time, or even before Gaunce as Brendan had more time remaining.  Perhaps they are giving him a chance to catch on with another team.

It could be related to the veteran limit in the AHL/Utica - and having a guy like Gagner who may also be on his way in due course - or not...

But the team has no shortage of effective defensive forwards, most of them younger than Archie, so he may be seeing his last (NHL) opportunities here.

21 hours ago, FedorFedorov said:

Sutter is criminally underrated and underutilized by Green. He's a great defensive two way forward and good enough offensively to start in the offensive zone. I would put him on the second line if I were coach. Handing in my application actually. 

Yes, and EP should be the 3rd line, shutdown center.  He's good enough defensively to start in the defensive zone.

And here I doubted that you knew more than Green.

22 hours ago, FedorFedorov said:

Sutter is criminally underrated and underutilized by Green. He's a great defensive two way forward and good enough offensively to start in the offensive zone. I would put him on the second line if I were coach. Handing in my application actually. 

Have to hand it to you, FF, for this fresh take.

First time I’ve ever seen it argued that Sutter is underutilized by Green.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:17 AM, oldnews said:

I'm not sure I saw the same effect you did.

Don't get me wrong - I like Archibald - but he didn't make a particularly notable impression as physical - no more so than Schaller (and their hit numbers are virtually equal relative to their ice time) - didn't appear to 'intimidate' anyone.

I think it comes down to simple effectiveness.

Schaller has had 33.8% ozone starts with a corsi of 44.4%.

Archie 47.1% ozone starts and a corsi of 41.2%.

Schaller's on ice goals against is also slightly stronger - something important for shutdown forwards.  Part of that gap might be explained by Schaller having played more when this team was healthy, with stronger shutdown units, but still, overall, I do think he's the better defensive forward.

I've found both of them slightly disappointing in one sense to be honest - and that's in the area of pushback and physicality.  I'd hoped they'd be more assertive - leaders in the area of team toughness, sending messages after the whistles, getting in people's faces and putting opponents on notice that liberties will be answered.  I'm not sure I've seen much of that.  I don't expect them to run around chasing hits or initiating conflicts, but there have been times where the team needed a guy to step up and lead in these areas - particularly in the ozone where our D -ie Gudbranson - are constrained because if they join the scrum it has an effect on the game - of taking the faceoff out of the ozone.  Ideally, your principal 'enforcer' is not a blueliner, where losing a D to the box can have a really negative effect on the team, particularly when it's already icing a depleted blueline.  I've liked the team's efforts overall this year, but one area they could stand to have more assertiveness and intent are in these areas that hopefully Archie and Schaller would have stepped up - and for whatever reason that hasn't seemed to be the case.

Fair enough, I didn't look up advanced stats before I made the comment. I felt like Archie made the hits when they were there and when he was able to get himself into a position to take them. He also hit with a little bit of authority. He's not the fleetest of foot I'll definitely give you that. What pisses me off about Schaller is that he not only doesn't hit much, he actually passes up on some hits when they are there. For a 4th liner who's not filling the net, he sure seems to be picky about who he hits. He is a better skater than Archibald for sure.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:03 AM, Alflives said:

Maybe this was a contract thing?

I think it was a numbers issue for sure. And yes they wouldn't waive a free agent they just signed 20ish games into his first season.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

thats funny, I disagree with all of that :lol: I thought he didn't use his physicality anywhere near as much as he could or needed to. 

Maybe not as much as he needed to, but I think he actually does his best to get into a position to make a hit. If there is an upgrade on either of them, I'd take it.... Lord knows we need any physicality we can get. But I've seen Schaller pass up hits when they were there, so that's why I'm not his biggest fan.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:36 PM, EdgarM said:

I seen the same as you did. These guys primary jobs on the team is to provide aggressiveness and physicality. Although we have had intermittent instances of this there has been no consistent effort, especially from those two.

I would much rather have the opposition "on their toes" because they don't know what to expect from our aggressive guys. They seem to be basically" ignored" most games and the only one who has consistently provided the right amount of aggressive/physicality is Jake and he is still learning. Roussel has done a great job as well. 

The good thing that I like is that TG is giving guys opportunity to show him what they've got ,or, they are  moved along for someone else that shows they can do the job.

arch is too slow, he is a trude grinder from a decade ago but the leauge has moved on and if you dont have magic hands then you better be able to hit and stay in the play

Archived