The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers fire GM Ron Hextall

So they have a premium goal tending prospect, a premium Center prospects, 6 defensive prospects, and a boat load of forward prospects and top end forwards, in part they should be finished their rebuild. I would think Hexstall's reluctance to tinker with his line up has caught up to him....I think he has done a good job, but the fact that he is now looking at premium pieces walking away, and some major re-signs coming up. 

You watch Phili bring in someone that will trade a few young assets...…….because Simmonds, Giroux, Vorachek, JVR,  are not getting any younger, and ownership must be wondering when the winning is going to start?

I wonder why they are not winning more? Is it goaltending or too young of Defense? Other?

They're not really that old looking at things. A lot of their forwards are 30 or 29, which should still be their prime. Add to that they have a lot of good younger pieces in all positions.

I really think it's just a matter of time before they are good so this firing kind of baffles me a bit?

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

wonder why they are not winning more? Is it goaltending or too young of Defense? Other?

Both... But really it's goaltending.  Has been since Hextall left as their goaltender!!  To me... If Philly and Carolina (to a lesser degree) get their goaltending together they are contenders for sure.

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So they have a premium goal tending prospect, a premium Center prospects, 6 defensive prospects, and a boat load of forward prospects and top end forwards, in part they should be finished their rebuild. I would think Hexstall's reluctance to tinker with his line up has caught up to him....I think he has done a good job, but the fact that he is now looking at premium pieces walking away, and some major re-signs coming up. 

You watch Phili bring in someone that will trade a few young assets...…….because Simmonds, Giroux, Vorachek, JVR,  are not getting any younger, and ownership must be wondering when the winning is going to start?

I wonder why they are not winning more? Is it goaltending or too young of Defense? Other?

20th in goals scored, tied 3rd most goals against. It's an all around problem.

1 minute ago, Rodishred said:

Both... But really it's goaltending.  Has been since Hextall left as their goaltender!!  To me... If Philly and Carolina (to a lesser degree) get their goaltending together they are contenders for sure.

so take a dman and a fhier 1st round and get it done...………….They could probably get Schneider for a 2nd rounder

The timing has me thinking he may have been beaten out a potential Strome/Perlini deal by Chicago. That could have been the tipping point if PHI was in the talks.

Those are the types of players I can see PHI looking to add. A big offensively gifted C and a fast/heavy winger with a good shot. We may never know but it wouldn't surprise me.

He was after all traded the very next morning after a late CHI/ARZ deal that sent Dylan Strome and Brendan Perlini to Chicago.

That's just my guess though.

6 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

Elliot is 6-7-0 despite a .911 save%

Pickard is 4-2-2 and only has bad stats because of the game against Toronto.

Archived