The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flyers fire GM Ron Hextall

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just my personal preference, I think with the right goalie coach Schneid's can find his game again. 

NJ are confident he will.  The team isn't playing well in front of him and he is rusted.  They have Melanson.

1 hour ago, Rodishred said:

They're both b-rate goaltenders at best... Their records appear to be okay, only because of a stacked offensive and all be it young stud defence.  Scoring is down for Philly this year so far but should increase as season goes along.  

20th in goals for and 3rd most goals against isn't exactly stacked.

51 minutes ago, Baer. said:

20th in goals for and 3rd most goals against isn't exactly stacked.

Thats a snapshot right now... Look at the team last year and so far this year.  They are a top 10 offence in the league with an average D and less then average goaltending.  

This year they've had a slow start as far as scoring is concerned but their save % is the same as last year. 

Give them a true #1 goaltender, they're contenders.  Elliot, Marzek, Lyons... Would you trade even Maelstrom for any of them?  Maybe Marzek?... My point is they're all 1b goalies at best.  They should all be quality back ups but not starters.

Edit: I'll concede that their D isn't stacked yet... Only because their all still young and learning but if they hold onto these guys... They will be stacked very soon.  They're still middle of the pack as far across the league comparisons.

They seem an outfit that does 70~80% of things really well, then the last part they F*** up catastrophically.

Had that nice run to the Finals..2010, wasn't it? Giroux looked like some exploding star.

So sign Bryz(2011) to some 40+ mill-insane deal. Or deal Bobrovsky(2013! ) for peanuts?

The media trolled GM Gillis, so hard over our 'tending situation..yet have they said boo about the Philly-debacle?

Over on HFboards, Philly fans talk so arrogantly. Any Van/Philly proposals they overvalue their fodder, & diss Van GM's, as if we're an AHL outfit.

This couldn't happen to a nicer bunch! Congratz Philly..you squandered a window with stars like Giroux & Voracek. Served all fans decades of giffs & entertainment with the Bryz-signing(& his pro interviews)

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So they have a premium goal tending prospect, a premium Center prospects, 6 defensive prospects, and a boat load of forward prospects and top end forwards, in part they should be finished their rebuild. I would think Hexstall's reluctance to tinker with his line up has caught up to him....I think he has done a good job, but the fact that he is now looking at premium pieces walking away, and some major re-signs coming up. 

You watch Phili bring in someone that will trade a few young assets...…….because Simmonds, Giroux, Vorachek, JVR,  are not getting any younger, and ownership must be wondering when the winning is going to start?

I wonder why they are not winning more? Is it goaltending or too young of Defense? Other?

Here’s some points that I listened to on satellite radio from Philadelphia’s perspective .

Goaltending . Scott Hart needs to make the jump to the NHL or they 

need another guy.

6-0 loss to Toronto was the tipping point

Team toughness is another issue according to what the current version is going through with injuries compared to being the Broad st. Bullies of the past. 

Great prospect pool but the rebuild has taken too long as far as Paul Holmgren is concerned. 

Whoever takes over the team as GM has a great situation, a stacked cupboard and lots of cap space.

Paul holmgren fired himself essentially 5 years ago , if he announces tomorrow that he is the interm GM , and he fired Hextal because of his impatience with him, It’s probably a great time for 

Jim Benning ( other GM’s)to call up the Flyers

and talk trade.

Strange things happening this year, last year no one got fired, this year it seems everyone can get fired.   Coaches, GM's, next is mascots. arena DJ's and stick boys, all to try and light a fire under a team...whatever it takes I guess.

Many may not have saw this coming. I did.

Philly, even with Snyder passing away, was always a team throwing around its weight to be the best they could be. At all costs. That included Holmgren. Always!

Hextall was a voice of reason? Hanging on to draft picks, even trading players like Schenn for futures. Rebuilding the core. Collecting what many consider the best prospect pool in hockey? Hextall btw would be a great GM for Seattle! He wont have trouble finding a job. 

But then why the fluck did they not trade Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds? Hextall also wasted the best years of their careers. He was also not ''all in'' on rebuilding. Or, more likely, there was conflict at the top where he, as a builder, wanted to move those guys. But was not allowed, hence the ''different philosophy'' being obvious.

$5 says we suddenly see some trades that reinforce the roster.

Tanev for Allison & Myers thank you very much! 

Phillys real problem is their only real RHD is Radko Gudas. And he ain't great!

Otherwise perfectly good LHD make mistakes, routinely. Trying to clear the puck with their back to open ice where a breakout pass might be available. Virtually all D struggle clearing the puck from their off side in the defensive zone. Constantly coughing up turnovers for scoring chances. 

No the goalies have not been great. Ours also looked bad when we had Garrison, hell Edler was a league worst plus / minus, when we tried to solve our lack of RHD by playing guys on their off side. People don't ''like'' Gudbrandson. A right handed D who also has size & some wheels. Where lacking in offensive skill. But we are remarkably more stable & Edler makes less mistakes, playing guys in their correct position.

If I had critique of Hextall / Philly?  They have a truckload of good young LHD. Provorov, Ghost, Hagg, Sanheim, Morin.  Still have vet Andrew Macdonald.  Instead the iced Folin, a RHD who was on waivers last year & was cut loose by LA & Minny. He's too slow for their team.

Make a hockey trade FFS!

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Strange things happening this year, last year no one got fired, this year it seems everyone can get fired.   Coaches, GM's, next is mascots. arena DJ's and stick boys, all to try and light a fire under a team...whatever it takes I guess.

It's anthropogenic climate change..Owners realize the clock is ticking, & strive for Stanley before we all go the way of the dodo.

15 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Surprised, Hextall was a lifer in Philly, spending practically his entire NHL career there, and then working as upper brass. Then again, Philly probably hasn't had a great goalie since Hextall wore the pads for them. Maybe enough was enough. They have the talent up front and on D, but without good goaltending...

to PHI - Demko and Hutton

to VAN - Provorov

(I have a feeling DiPietro will end up being the better goalie)

Umm, no. Demko is much farther ahead than Dipietro. Why give up on him now? That's a dumb move for us.

Archived