The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Habs placed Alzner on waivers

TheRick

https://www.tsn.ca/habs-expected-to-place-alzner-on-waivers-1.1216153

The Montreal Canadiens are expected to place defenceman Karl Alzner on waivers at Noon et. 

Alzner did not skate with the team at practice on Monday morning in Brossard, Quebec, with captain Shea Weber joining regulars David Schlemko, Brett Kulak, Jeff Petry,Victor Mete, Jordie Benn, Xavier Ouellet and Mike Reilly on the ice. 

The 30-year-old signed a five-year, $23 million contract with the Canadiens as an unrestricted free agent in 2017 after nine seasons with the Washington Capitals.

He has one assist in eight games with the Canadiens this season and 12 points in 82 games last season. 

In 681 career NHL games with Washington and Montreal, Alzner has 20 goals, 130 points and a plus-56 rating.

3 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Wasn't he Habs big signing....

Remember ppl wanted him on the Canucks 

Could be a good pick up for someone to stay back and clean up the brown streaks left on the ice. 

he looked like a solid bet at that time, like a bigger left handed Tanev. Plus being from Burnaby there was that hometown thing.

But man to waive a guy with 4.6 mil with 4 years on his deal  (including this one)..... that has to be close to some sort of record. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he looked like a solid bet at that time, like a bigger left handed Tanev. Plus being from Burnaby there was that hometown thing.

But man to waive a guy with 4.6 mil with 4 years on his deal  (including this one)..... that has to be close to some sort of record. 

With the rate of aging vets getting the waiver treatment of late we could be seeing the next one to hope on the waiver train with sacks load of cash outta town. 

loui-eriksson-2019-39.jpg

10 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

With the rate of aging vets getting the waiver treatment of late we could be seeing the next one to hope on the waiver train with sacks load of cash outta town. 

except the guys on pace for a 40 point season and there isn't a good replacement for him just yet. Plus Benning already did this once already with Gagner so I think thats all a GM is allowed for one year :lol:

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think the Wade Redden deal might have been worse. He was paid $6.5M per year for two years in the minors before being bought out.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pick up an AHL-bound guy with that much cap and term left just to waive a smaller let alone expiring contract?

I am of the ilk that believe Alzner is better than the Habs have seen. I mean mind you Washington was pretty stacked and I dont see any cap issues for the foreseeable future. Can't by any means be worse than Pouliot or DZ.

Habs ownership may have finally used up all the nails they need to nail the coffin shut on Bergevin.

Almost 20 million to play in the AHL? ouch. If they millions to throw around, can I have 1 or 2 of them?

3 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Guy was a solid shutdown dman, change of scenery could do wonders.. but that term probably scares every nhl team away. 

Likely destined for a summer buyout. Then use the buyout cash to supplement a cheaper deal elsewhere.

Archived