The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Habs placed Alzner on waivers

TheRick

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

And the cap hit to Montreal is $3.6 per year.  Don’t try to make it sound worse than it is by saying it’s a 14+ cap hit. 

His yearly cap hit is 4.625 million.

3 years left at 4.625= 13.875 million in accumulative cap hit remaining.

He also has 2.54 million in allocated cap space left this year.

So technically its 16.415 million of cap hit over the next 4 years

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

His yearly cap hit is 4.625 million.

3 years left at 4.625= 13.875 million in accumulative cap hit remaining.

He also has 2.54 million in allocated cap space left this year.

So technically its 16.415 million of cap hit over the next 4 years

Right.  But they can bury $1.06M a year when he’s in minors.  Regardless. Talking about the entire term like its what they have to deal with this year isn’t realistic.  If they don’t move him this season I assume he’ll be bought out in the offseason. That will spread out a $10.66m cap hit over 6 years. 

4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Sounds awful judgy considering what Vancouver did with Gagne. The bottom line is the Alzner signing was a mistake.  With Weber returning to the lineup and the emergence of Mete last season and Juulsen this season they needed to make a move.  Alzner has been a healthy scratch most of the season even with Weber out of the lineup. 

... and my mistake, he DID NOT win a Cup with Washington lol

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Never won a cup, new team gave him all year last year to not be garbage, and if he were worth it a team would have claimed him or made a deal for him. 

Yep my mistake. Didn’t win a Cup with a Washington.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think a few teams might kick the tires at 1/2 price, including us if it becomes clear Edler isn't part of the future. I wouldn't move a pick as well tho, some kind of player for player deal. 

As mentioned, we get the pick back because we are taking on term and they will save money. Alzner would give us insurance if Edler doesn't return. It could also open up the possibility of moving Hutton for a good return if available. Gagner is certainly not going to be here long term and he's looked decent in his call up, so perhaps we should move him while we can. Plus once Boeser and the other forwards return, do we send him back down? It might just get awkward again.

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

As mentioned, we get the pick back because we are taking on term and they will save money. Alzner would give us insurance if Edler doesn't return. It could also open up the possibility of moving Hutton for a good return if available. Gagner is certainly not going to be here long term and he's looked decent in his call up, so perhaps we should move him while we can. Plus once Boeser and the other forwards return, do we send him back down? It might just get awkward again.

hey if Montreal would trade Alzner with 1/2 retained for Gag's I'd do that instantly, add a pick and I'd do it yesterday :P

Gagner has more value than Alzner (Canucks may get something decent for him at the deadline if he continues his current level of play). 

Better contract and  Alzner will struggle in the new faster paced NHL.  Canucks need more offense from their D not less.  

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Alzner was placed on waivers to open up a roster spot for Weber.  Trading him for Gagne doesn’t solve the problem for Montreal 

They could send down someone like Chaput. They could've sent him down and kept 9 dmen, but that is pointless, so this could help with their forward depth. The main point is to dump the cap and Gagner has a lower term.

4 hours ago, Borvat said:

Gagner has more value than Alzner (Canucks may get something decent for him at the deadline if he continues his current level of play). 

Better contract and  Alzner will struggle in the new faster paced NHL.  Canucks need more offense from their D not less.  

Gagner was on waivers as well and no one picked him up. Like most of our call ups, they come out with fire in their belly, but fizzle over a longer run. I'm not really expecting much different from Gagner and he might be out of a spot again once we get back our injured guys. Gagner's value is only better contract-wise.

Alzner looked fine with Washington only just over a season ago, so I find the drop off in play a bit odd considering he's been an Ironman. It's not like that's slowing him down and the game couldn't have changed that much in that short period. Perhaps something about Montreal just isn't the right fit for him. Maybe it's not here either, but Alzner at 50% retained is fine even if he's a bottom pairing guy now.

44 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They could send down someone like Chaput. They could've sent him down and kept 9 dmen, but that is pointless, so this could help with their forward depth. The main point is to dump the cap and Gagner has a lower term.

They’re already carrying 8d on the roster.  9 when Juulsem comes back from injury.  Chaput is playing. Alzner has been a healthy scratch most nights.  Trading for Gagne doesn’t solve a single roster problem.  Montresl has more cap space than Vancouver.  They don’t need to create any.  What they did need to do is send a Dman down.  

At 2-2.5mil retained he could very likely find a home somewhere. I imagine if Montreal were interested in that route a deal likely would have been done. Although maybe somewhere down the line they'll open up more to that option. I don't see a fit here honestly. Since he'll likely fill some of the same niches that Tanev, Guddy, MDZ and Stech already do. He brings next to no offense and is decent defensively. He hits a fair bit, but so does MDZ who will be better at moving the puck and providing some offense. He's not a major upgrade on anyone really. Not enough to trade for him then have him for 3 more years after. We'll have a good few young LHDs coming in as soon as next season. Breezer, Juolevi, and Hughes just to name a few. 

With Gagner’s contract only short term compared to Alzners he isn’t much of a problem for us and therefore I wouldn’t want us to make that trade.

Erikson for Alzner on the other hand would be a good trade.  It would save us almost 1.4 million in cap space per season and they both have 3 more years after this year.

montreal might consider because of Erickson’s two way game and because he’s on pace for close to 40 points.

both players have negative value and are under performing but if Alzner picks up his play a bit, in the future he would likely be easier to trade than erikson based on the lower cap hit.  Cheaper to buy out as well and if we traded him with 50% retained eating 2.3 per year would be less painful. 

Lastly Del Zotto, Edler and Tanev are all possible trade chips which could make some room. 

Erickson, Gagner and MDZ are well known entities in the NHL. Other teams know what they have to offer. They are not long term building blocks. They might fit depth role for a 

playoff bound team dealing with an injury. None of these players will bring much back.

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

With Gagner’s contract only short term compared to Alzners he isn’t much of a problem for us and therefore I wouldn’t want us to make that trade.

Erikson for Alzner on the other hand would be a good trade.  It would save us almost 1.4 million in cap space per season and they both have 3 more years after this year.

montreal might consider because of Erickson’s two way game and because he’s on pace for close to 40 points.

both players have negative value and are under performing but if Alzner picks up his play a bit, in the future he would likely be easier to trade than erikson based on the lower cap hit.  Cheaper to buy out as well and if we traded him with 50% retained eating 2.3 per year would be less painful. 

Lastly Del Zotto, Edler and Tanev are all possible trade chips which could make some room. 

Montreal put Alzner on waivers because they have a roster full of waiver eligible players and he was a healthy scratch most nights.  Bringing in Eriksson for Alzner means they still need to waive another player.  40 points for $6m is hardly enticing.  They can just wait for Byron to return from injury and play the same 2-way game as Eriksson for $1.6m. 

In other words.  It may be a trade that works for Vancouver (and I’m not even convinced of that). But it doesn’t work for Montreal at all.  They’re better off with the $3.6m of dead cap space this year.  They can try to move him later in the season to a team with injuries, or, more likely, buy him out in the offseason 

Archived