The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Van/Mtl..Would U?

Van: Hutton, & *conditional pick(s)*

Mtl: Alzner(retain 650 K x4yrs), 2019 1st R pick

I see Mtl fans are fishing for a top-4 Dman(over on HFtrades page). They have Weber returning..so a nice RhD side. Hutton fits well with their youth & skating.

To be clear, we would have THREE more yrs of two lumps(Alzner & Eriksson) for 10,000,000 AAV. Yeah..that's risky.

But consider if we had say TWO, top-7 picks at our hometown-hosted draft! That would be sweet.

Conditions:

If Mtl gave us a top-10 pick, we'd give back our 2019 2nd.

If it were a top-5 pick, we give 2019 2nd & 2020 3rd.

So if Mtl's pick is #11OA or lower, we don't give them any cond pick.

This (somewhat) minimizes risk for Bergevin. Already that guy's been on the hot seat in Quebec...

Yea or nay?

Probably don't even have to give up Hutton considering Montreal just waived Alzner.

That said, I wouldn't want his contract as it would cause problems down the road. We are fine salary wise right now, but when the likes of Elias and Boeser on rookie deals, or guys on short term bridge deals like Virt and Goldobin expire, they are going to command bigger pay days. It would be tough to stomach paying Loui and Alzner $9+mil for multiple years down the road when these young players are going to get raises eventually.

2 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Probably don't even have to give up Hutton considering Montreal just waived Alzner.

That said, I wouldn't want his contract as it would cause problems down the road. We are fine salary wise right now, but when the likes of Elias and Boeser on rookie deals, or guys on short term bridge deals like Virt and Goldobin expire, they are going to command bigger pay days. It would be tough to stomach paying Loui and Alzner $9+mil for multiple years down the road when these young players are going to get raises eventually.

Yes, & obviously this severe deterent must be weighed vs the possibility of two ELC(next 3 seasons) stars drafted on home turf. Can't say the precise value of such a PR/fan dream..but it's pretty valuable, wouldn't you agree?

Montreal isn't a team in a position to give up a top draft pick to save some money.  They're a big budget team, who is likely looking to "re-tool" and giving up a first round pick for a cap dump of $4.6 million for a few years is an overpayment.  As a Canucks fan I'd take it in a heart beat.  If we need to have cap room in a couple years then we can trade away the final year of his deal for a far smaller price while still keeping the good player we drafted with the 2019 pick.  

I can definitely see Montreal dealing Alzner after they waived him today, and maybe giving some asset but definitely not a first rounder.  Would we trade our 2019 first rounder to lose Eriksson? Nope.  Neither will they.  

I'm not opposed to taking on Alzner if they keep half his salary and we don't give much of anything in return.  It allows us to deal Edler and have a guy to mentor our young players coming up.

8 minutes ago, underrated said:

Montreal isn't a team in a position to give up a top draft pick to save some money.  They're a big budget team, who is likely looking to "re-tool" and giving up a first round pick for a cap dump of $4.6 million for a few years is an overpayment.  As a Canucks fan I'd take it in a heart beat.  If we need to have cap room in a couple years then we can trade away the final year of his deal for a far smaller price while still keeping the good player we drafted with the 2019 pick.  

I can definitely see Montreal dealing Alzner after they waived him today, and maybe giving some asset but definitely not a first rounder.  Would we trade our 2019 first rounder to lose Eriksson? Nope.  Neither will they.  

I'm not opposed to taking on Alzner if they keep half his salary and we don't give much of anything in return.  It allows us to deal Edler and have a guy to mentor our young players coming up.

I agree with your assessment(reasoning). The notion represents a flashy lure you toss in the water. If we have tonnes of cap space(next few yrs) drop 5-10 of these lures in the lake & wait for a strike.

Young team & ample cap space is a time for patient fishing.

Let me ask you this. Would you be willing to give up Eriksson and our 1st round pick for a player similar to Hutton and conditional draft picks? Wouldn't Benning be ran out of town at that point? lol

It's an even worse situation than that for Montreal with this deal as Alzner's on waivers and won't count towards the cap anyway.

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Let me ask you this. Would you be willing to give up Eriksson and our 1st round pick for a player similar to Hutton and conditional draft picks? Wouldn't Benning be ran out of town at that point? lol

It's an even worse situation than that for Montreal with this deal as Alzner's on waivers and won't count towards the cap anyway.

Only 1 mill gets forgiven(latest CBA)..so 3.6 mill kick in de'harse.

edit: Factor in almost 19 mill on Price/Weber, & it's possible Bergevin might make a panic move.

His recent deals have been somewhat redeeming, but his track record is rather shoddy.

IMO its less of a sideways move because of position.  

Our D is subpar at best and we have only Juolevi and Hughes as top prospects to compete and both are a year away.  We have a number of forwards that can compete for playing time now (of various quality).  

With Boeser, Beartchi, Sutter and Beagle back at some point in the season some forwards will need to be waived or traded.  Outside of the 8 D we have played thus far, is ther really any competition for spots right now?

25 minutes ago, clynch said:

IMO its less of a sideways move because of position.  

Our D is subpar at best and we have only Juolevi and Hughes as top prospects to compete and both are a year away.  We have a number of forwards that can compete for playing time now (of various quality).  

With Boeser, Beartchi, Sutter and Beagle back at some point in the season some forwards will need to be waived or traded.  Outside of the 8 D we have played thus far, is ther really any competition for spots right now?

Well, reasonable argument. Unfortunately keep hearing Alzner is pretty slow, & this league keeps ramping up speed. Also what they plan for Edler? We'll have to see these things play out...

Montresl would have Zero interest in this deal.  Alzner is being waived because Weber is coming off LTIR and they need to open up a roster spot for him.  It’s either waive him (who will likely clear) or someone else who likely wouldnt clear.  Alzner has been a healthy scratch most of the season. So this makes the most sense. 

As afar as paying a premium to save on cap. Montresl has $7m in Cap space.  $8 m with Alzner in the minors.  So no dice.  

6 hours ago, clynch said:

I’d rather trade Erickson for Alzner. Two equally bad contract. Alzner will never put up points, but could pair with Stetcher to allow him to be more offensive. 

Edler - tanev

hutton - Gudbranson

alzner - stetcher 

Montreal doesn’t touch this. It doesn’t address their probl m of getting the roster size down to get Weber of the LTIR.  All it accomplishes for them is changes the player they need to expose to waivers. 

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

Only 1.025M can be buried in the minors.  The 3.6M difference will still count against their cap but Montreal has plenty of cap space.  

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hey Q, did you forecast the Weber & Drouin acquisitions? Cos' it seems like some transactions have been fairly surprising.

No.  but your ignoring the fact that Alzner going on waivers is due to a need to reduce the roster to open spot for Weber.  A 1 for 1 deal doesn’t help Montresl. In fact it puts them in a position to expose another, potentially more valuable,  player to waivers rather than Alzner. Alzner  has been a healthy scratch for most of the season.  

It doesnt take much brain power to understand why they’re not going to pay a 1st to potentially end up in worse position than if they just waive Alzner 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

No.  but your ignoring the fact that Alzner going on waivers is due to a need to reduce the roster to open spot for Weber.  A 1 for 1 deal doesn’t help Montresl. In fact it puts them in a position to expose another, potentially more valuable,  player to waivers rather than Alzner. Alzner  has been a healthy scratch for most of the season.  

It doesnt take much brain power to understand why they’re not going to pay a 1st to potentially end up in worse position than if they just waive Alzner 

Well it's not like today's 'whether-forecast', or something crazy as...with 600, 700 bodies eventually moving about, we can't expect us hockey posters are really gonna call these things.

But as I stated earlier, if a GM has a tonne of cap, & youngish team, he can throw some lines out there(in the lake), & wait for a strike. It's mostly the patterns of a move, we all try to forecast.

In Bergevin's defense(since I've slagged him often), his last few significant moves might indicate he's getting the hang of this gig...

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well it's not like today's 'whether-forecast', or something crazy as...with 600, 700 bodies eventually moving about, we can't expect us hockey posters are really gonna call these things.

But as I stated earlier, if a GM has a tonne of cap, & youngish team, he can throw some lines out there(in the lake), & wait for a strike. It's mostly the patterns of a move, we all try to forecast.

In Bergevin's defense(since I've slagged him often), his last few significant moves might indicate he's getting the hang of this gig...

Thing is.  Montresl has a young team. A bunch of cap space, and a need to reduce their roster size.  Waiving Alzner solves a short term need and only costs them cap space they aren’t currently making use of.  Montresl does need to upgrade their D. But a 1-1 deal doesn’t help them. And Hutton is not worth a potentially high 1st, Alzner AND whatever other player they have to put on waivers to make the deal. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Thing is.  Montresl has a young team. A bunch of cap space, and a need to reduce their roster size.  Waiving Alzner solves a short term need and only costs them cap space they aren’t currently making use of.  Montresl does need to upgrade their D. But a 1-1 deal doesn’t help them. And Hutton is not worth a potentially high 1st, Alzner AND whatever other player they have to put on waivers to make the deal. 

Yeah..fair points. As things are trending, Mtl & Van(team stages) probably bear more similarity than they have in some time.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Van/Mtl..Would U?

Archived