The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Eriksson trade - do you think this works ?`

Yes, he is overpaid for what he does. But he can still pot 30-40 points and kill penalties, while being defensively responsible. But 6 mil for another 3 years is pretty horrendous that makes him untradable.

Unless...we try something like this:

To Arizona: Loui Eriksson

To Vancouver: 2020 2nd R,Marian Hossa.

Hossa is never gonna play again and he has 2 more years at 5.275 mil left on his contract. So do folks think that Arizona may give up a draft pick to basically have a 6 million player contribute somewhat on ice over paying 5.275 mil to a guy who is total dead-weight ?

Picking up Hossa is not going to mess with our lineup, since we will have players like Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette etc who are waiver exempt, so Hossa does not eat up an extra roster spot ( as in we cannot put him on LTIR before the season starts- so we assign one of Pettersson/Hughes/Gaudette to AHL for 24 hrs on the season opener deadline, put Hossa on LTIR and call them back up  - they dont even have to leave town). 

A low budget team would be interested in unloading a bad contract for an even worse contract  ? (matters little if Eriksson can actually play - there's a reason why the Yotes have something like 15+ million in cap space available).  And for them to throw in a pick?

Alf has a greater chance of being on the cover of Teen Beat magazine.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

A low budget team would be interested in unloading a bad contract for an even worse contract (matters little if Eriksson can actually play - there's a reason why the Yotes have something like 15+ million in cap space available).  And for them to throw in a pick?

Alf has a greater chance of being on the cover of Teen Beat magazine.

A player who plays in the NHL and is going around 0.4 - 0.5 PPG clip, while also being capable of killing penalties, by default, cannot be a worse contract than a player who is sitting at home doing nothing for nearly the same salary................

2R maybe too high, but some pick makes sense..

1 minute ago, underrated said:

Yeah his contract is likely insured which means that Chicago isn't actually paying that price, and since he's not playing, Hossa also doesn't count against the Cap.  So from a Chicago perspective Hossa doesn't make any difference.

Hossa is on the Coyotes roster...

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yes, he is overpaid for what he does. But he can still pot 30-40 points and kill penalties, while being defensively responsible. But 6 mil for another 3 years is pretty horrendous that makes him untradable.

Unless...we try something like this:

To Arizona: Loui Eriksson

To Vancouver: 2020 2nd R,Marian Hossa.

Hossa is never gonna play again and he has 2 more years at 5.275 mil left on his contract. So do folks think that Arizona may give up a draft pick to basically have a 6 million player contribute somewhat on ice over paying 5.275 mil to a guy who is total dead-weight ?

Picking up Hossa is not going to mess with our lineup, since we will have players like Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette etc who are waiver exempt, so Hossa does not eat up an extra roster spot ( as in we cannot put him on LTIR before the season starts- so we assign one of Pettersson/Hughes/Gaudette to AHL for 24 hrs on the season opener deadline, put Hossa on LTIR and call them back up  - they dont even have to leave town). 

Hossa is only earning $1M per year at this point in his contract.

Arizona picked him up as a discount way of reaching the cap floor.  So no, I don't think this trade works.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Proposal] Loui Eriksson trade - do you think this works ?`
1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

A player who plays in the NHL and is going around 0.4 - 0.5 PPG clip, while also being capable of killing penalties, by default, cannot be a worse contract than a player who is sitting at home doing nothing for nearly the same salary................

2R maybe too high, but some pick makes sense..

By worse, I'm talking about $$$'s.  Again, the Yotes are a cheap/budget team.  Hossa might be a 5+ million cap hit, but in terms of actual dollars, his cash salary is cheap  (I think it's like $1 million).  That's what I was getting get; sorry about my misleading post.

3 minutes ago, underrated said:

Yeah his contract is likely insured which means that Chicago isn't actually paying that price, and since he's not playing, Hossa also doesn't count against the Cap.  So from a Chicago perspective Hossa doesn't make any difference.

This is incorrect.

Injured players count against the cap.  It's the whole reason Arizona traded for his contract.

Honestly I would the only way for Vancouver to get rid of Eriksson's contract is via salary rentention and it would be the other team that will get a higher draft pick.

It will be like

Eriksson (50% salary retention) + 3th  for the other team's 4th or 5th round pick. 

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Honestly I would the only way for Vancouver to get rid of Eriksson's contract is via salary rentention and it would be the other team that will get a higher draft pick.

It will be like

Eriksson (50% salary retention) + 3th  for the other team's 4th or 5th round pick. 

what a waste of 3 million in cap space that would be. 

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

Louie's numbers are nowhere near to what you posted at 30 to 40 point seasons.

65G.... 11g 13a  24Pts.

50G.... 10g 13a  23Pts

26G..... 4g   8a    12Pts.

We are stuck with this NT clauses Albatross until 2021/22. OUCH!

I said 0.4 to 0.5 PPG. That is 30-40 points over whole 82 games.

24/60 = 0.4

23/50 = 0.46

12/26 =  0.46

Math helps....

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Hossa is only earning $1M per year at this point in his contract.

Arizona picked him up as a discount way of reaching the cap floor.  So no, I don't think this trade works.

Arizona the Banana Republic of hockey.

Loui is tradable after next July 1st when he gets his next 4 mil bonus payout. After that he has 4 mil in bonuses and 5 mil in base salary for 3 seasons, but a cap hit of 18 mil. 

So for any team looking for some veteran F help that also has a internal budget like Florida e.g., you get him for 3 mil per year but a cap hit of 6 so its money in the bank for cheap GMs.

There's no incentive for us to eat 3 mil in cap space just to take on a bad contract. 

Archived