The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Busy Last Few Days.

Players being sent to the minors making room, coaches fired, coaches hired, GM fired, one so far, time running out on a hot RFA, mere hours/days for a deal or not, multiple players traded. Maybe a team (Philly) that just decided to blow it up.

It has been exciting lately in the NHL an the Christmas trade freeze approaches as well.

This season it looks like there will be a lot more movement than other years, the Nucks have a deep prospect pool that some teams may covet a player or two, maybe even a veteran playing.

If I was the Canuck GM I might be taking calls and making a few, just to get a feeling of the market if nothing else, Vancouver does like brother combinations, maybe the Pettersson's and Hughes' each a center and dman.

30 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Players being sent to the minors making room, coaches fired, coaches hired, GM fired, one so far, time running out on a hot RFA, mere hours/days for a deal or not, multiple players traded. Maybe a team (Philly) that just decided to blow it up.

It has been exciting lately in the NHL an the Christmas trade freeze approaches as well.

This season it looks like there will be a lot more movement than other years, the Nucks have a deep prospect pool that some teams may covet a player or two, maybe even a veteran playing.

If I was the Canuck GM I might be taking calls and making a few, just to get a feeling of the market if nothing else, Vancouver does like brother combinations, maybe the Pettersson's and Hughes' each a center and dman.

Hey Guardian

I think they are doing that every day......I think it should be interesting for Phili the next couple of months...……..

IMO, Phili has enough assets to make some changes

For instance they have enough prospects and some very good veterans......

maybe use some of their 1st's and 2nd's in the next couple of drafts for a veteran Goalie, a Dman, and a Defensive center

They would still have a top 10 prospect pool...…….

As for the Canucks, It should be interesting to see how their record is up to Christmas, I think it will be telling...………………..

PS...……….I hate the brother idea!

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey Guardian

I think they are doing that every day......I think it should be interesting for Phili the next couple of months...……..

IMO, Phili has enough assets to make some changes

For instance they have enough prospects and some very good veterans......

maybe use some of their 1st's and 2nd's in the next couple of drafts for a veteran Goalie, a Dman, and a Defensive center

They would still have a top 10 prospect pool...…….

As for the Canucks, It should be interesting to see how their record is up to Christmas, I think it will be telling...………………..

PS...……….I hate the brother idea!

Would Philly like Sutter?  

12 minutes ago, 6string said:

Sutter has to be on the radar for any team that feels they can go do deep into the playoffs by adding a solid third line veteran center.

With how good Benning is at the draft, would a couple seconds be fair return?  Not enough?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Philly like Sutter?  

Sutter might fit great there, but I'm doubtful the Flyers would be C shopping.

They have a half dozen centers over 54% in the faceoff circle, among them.....

Giroux

Couturier

Patrick

Laughton

Couturier is an elite two way center.

Patrick is a beast in the making.

Laughton can handle hard minutes as a young center - win faceoffs - and chip in secondary scoring.

Add Weal (and Lehtera) to that mix.

And Rubstov, Frost, Laberge in their system....

Just my opinion but I think that group - particularly young blueline - just needs time.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With how good Benning is at the draft, would a couple seconds be fair return?  Not enough?  

So Alf

Last year

Rangers traded   

JT Miller and Ryan McDonagh

for

Namesnitkov + 2018 1st + 2019 2nd + Brett Howden + Libor Hajek

so what would

Sutter 50% and Tanev get you?

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Giroux

Couturier

Patrick

Laughton

Laughton can handle hard minutes as a young center - win faceoffs - and chip in secondary scoring.

Just my opinion but I think that group - particularly young blueline - just needs time.

your right about the FO

But can never have enough FO guys

3 out of the 4 named don't play Suter's game

Weal and especially Lehtera are just fillers, no where near Suter's ability

Suter also kills penalties and can play both wings

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

your right about the FO

But can never have enough FO guys

3 out of the 4 named don't play Suter's game

Weal and especially Lehtera are just fillers, no where near Suter's ability

Suter also kills penalties and can play both wings

which three are those?

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Giroux

Couturier

Patrick

Laughton

A C3 that can kill penalties was on their off-season shopping list.  Hextall said he was looking for a trade after failing to find one in free agency.  Their penalty kill is bottom of the league only ahead of Ottawa.

Giroux has been moved to wing last season.  He plays on a line with Couturier.  He still takes a lot of face-offs re handedness but he is a winger now.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I have no doubt Jim is working the phones... but - he's not willing to give up any picks or good young assets. And thats a good thing. But also a boring thing, there won't be much movement. 

12 minutes ago, mll said:

A C3 that can kill penalties was on their off-season shopping list.  Hextall said he was looking for a trade after failing to find one in free agency.  Their penalty kill is bottom of the league only ahead of Ottawa.

Giroux has been moved to wing last season.  He plays on a line with Couturier.  He still takes a lot of face-offs re handedness but he is a winger now.

Sutter could help literally any team in the NHL - but even with Sutter, their principal weaknesses remain.

Couturier and Laughton are both excellent penalty killers - probably their best two forwards and they're both centers.

Gudas and Andy McDonald are their #2 and 3 pk D.  22 yr old Provorov is their #1.

Their defensive wingers are...Raffl....and then...uninspiring.

No doubt Sutter helps them - but two things about that - they're still not deep enough everywhere else - they're already arguably deepest at C (or young D)  - and second, Sutter is not 'available' = if anyone wants Sutter, be prepared to pay through the nose.   Are they at the stage to pay through the nose?  Not imo - but they have a pair of great young defensive centers to build on - and that's not including Patrick, who imo is a beast in the making.  I think they should stay the course.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I have no doubt Jim is working the phones... but - he's not willing to give up any picks or good young assets. And thats a good thing. But also a boring thing, there won't be much movement. 

Agreed.  I'd prefer we roll with what we have, looking at extending Edler.  Maybe a later pick for MDZ would be nice

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sutter could help literally any team in the NHL - but even with Sutter, their principal weaknesses remain.

Couturier and Laughton are both excellent penalty killers - probably their best two forwards and they're both centers.

Gudas and Andy McDonald are their #2 and 3 pk D.  22 yr old Provorov is their #1.

No doubt Sutter helps them - but two things about that - they're still not deep enough everywhere else - they're already arguably deepest at C (or young D)  - and second, Sutter is not 'available' = if anyone wants Sutter, be prepared to pay through the nose.   Are they at the stage to pay through the nose?  Not imo - but they have a pair of great young defensive centers to build on - and that's not including Patrick, who imo is a beast in the making.  I think they should stay the course.

Not suggesting a trade - don't think Vancouver and Philadelphia are good partners.  

Hextall was looking for a hockey trade with his key players obviously unavailable and not willing to move picks/prospects.  

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sorry OLD News but that just cost Hextall his job

Why would they want to say their coarse?

PS...……...MacDonald is terrible and it shows in their stats

That is part of their veteran Leadership...……..Ouch!

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not expecting a single trade this season

Sutter is not missed?  Maybe not by some fans buy I guarantee you, he is missed by Green, Benning and BO frigging HORVAT!!

Just stop it with the trade Sutter crap.  He is a very important piece in this rebuild.  The plan is working.

Don't worry, Benning is on the phone with ALL GM's regularly.  He doesn't miss much.

Archived