The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trade Matthews

TO just waits until July 15 and buys out Marleau, this doesn't help too much for that year but the following season they get the 6+ mil cap savings, maybe he even gets an injury.

All the talk now about offer sheets for Mathews don't forget Boeser with those rumours.

Arizona would be smart to go all in for Mathews and/or Marner, make offer sheets to both. Then they have the hammer for trade talk.

TO could always just throw a contract out there with retention to make room as well.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

TO just waits until July 15 and buys out Marleau, this doesn't help too much for that year but the following season they get the 6+ mil cap savings, maybe he even gets an injury.

All the talk now about offer sheets for Mathews don't forget Boeser with those rumours.

Arizona would be smart to go all in for Mathews and/or Marner, make offer sheets to both. Then they have the hammer for trade talk.

TO could always just throw a contract out there with retention to make room as well.

Not for us, but for Arizona it would be worth 4 first rounders and 15 x 7 (is that the max now) for Matthews.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2018 at 6:09 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just for kix(GM cap wedged firmly on my noggin)...

Deal 1 : Gardiner..punted, anywhere.   Return, a 2nd 2019; & conditional(performance based) 2020 pick(gotta get away from THAT last playoff memory!)

Deal 2: Nylander to RAGS.  Return: Brady Skjei & a 2020 2nd, perhaps another pick?(value unsure?)

Deal 3: Matthews, Lindholm & Zaitsev

StLoo: RoRly??, Thomas, Parayko

last deal! (deal 4): Grundstrom, TO 2019 1st, NYR 2nd to... Vancouver, for Christopher Tanev! :^0

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Marleau - ROR - Kapanen

Johnson - Kadri - Brown

Ennis - Gauthier - Leivo

13th- Robert Thomas!

^Let's be honest, Cdn hockey fans would really get behind a home-grown, fwd group like that. Potent C depth, & only 1 real contract-signing to worry about.

Reilly - Tanev

Skjei - Parayko

Dermott - Ozhighanov

mobile D with some size & offense. Lillegren still to come

- With only Marner to sign, that cast could be kept intact for many yrs. Still 2 2019 2nds, & a top prospect(Thomas) added.

I think this roster could topple TBay, or Washington.

Bumping this, because I think Dubas botched their situation. Paid the kids what they whined for..now TO is nothing but offence. That works quite nicely, from about Oct thru late Jan/early Feb. Last couple months/PO's, it won't.

St Louis was in a world of hurt(late Nov, early Dec) when these proposals were being made. I bet they would've jumped on an AM deal.

I felt this since last summer: when TO decided to throw 11 mill at an offensive star UFA like JT, they HAD to trade 1 or 2 of their young offensive pieces to balance out their roster.

Actually this is all GREAT, cos' I dislike the Leaves. But their rookie GM has painted their high $$$ roster into a corner. He was too young/inexperienced to make the assertive, bold moves that he should have.

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm no fan of the Maple Leaves..but some of us like to play armchair GM. So I ask the question..Would it be wise to deal this guy now(Everest peak value)?

Consider:

- Their coming cap-crunch, & Matthews has had injuries

- Tavares has meshed so well with Marner

- Matthews potential value in US markets

- Ability to transfer their fwd wealth, into D-man depth

- Still can add Nylander, in addition to haul from Matthews trade

- They'll have to PAY AM 11 or 12 mill, next summer

TOR: Matthews, 1 more player(Holl, Leivo, A Johnsson or Lindholm..basically a 1 mill $ contract)

Trade ideas for 3 US teams..all out west, to have the guy out of Conf

ARIZ: OEL, Keller, Crouse, 2019 2nd r pick, 2020 1st r pick*(conditional on Matthews health. eg 60 gp next season)

StL: ROR(1 mill retained), Parayko, Robert Thomas  ...AAV: about 13 mill cap hit(StLouis takes Hainsey, for cap-consideration)

ANA:  Rakell, Josh Manson, Sam Steel, 2020 1st R pick  ..AAV: about 9 mill

What about these values? Which deal is best?

On 11/27/2018 at 12:02 PM, King Heffy said:

St Louis, but I absolutely love Parayko.  Anaheim likely has too many of their own cap issues to make a deal giving up their cheap, young players.  OEL has a NMC and doesn't really address the Leafs biggest problem, which is a defensive group full of pylons incapable of actually playing defense.  OEL isn't going to be able to cover up for Reilly stinking it up in his own zone.  He's not the defensive liability that Reilly is, but he's sure as hell not going to solve the problems the Leafs have defensively. 

Blues trade actually makes a lot of sense.

It's interesting Heffy, after their abysmal start I've read Armstrong admit he was close to tearing down/selling in Dec.

Had Matthews been the luring-bait(early Dec) when we were all discussing this, I bet he would have sold. They had no idea Binnington would save their bacon, from the following month, all the way to June.

• 3 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 10:43 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

They traded Lindros for a better franchise centre in Forsberg.  Plus they already had Joe Sakic in their back pocket...

That’s debatable.   If he stayed in Quebec and they moved to COL, still got  Roy and Lindros didn’t have his concussion issues I’d think they’d have still won some cups.   For a period of two or three years Lindros was the best player on the planet - something Forsberg with all his gifts never achieved, and that was in an era where competition was stiff and the puck was dying (dead puck 1995 start).    Even with both these guys injuries it’s definitely debatable who was the better player.  Nobody in the history of the NHL had those physical gifts and the elite abilities to go with it.   It’s a coin toss.  Lindros came into the league like a wrecking ball.   Forsberg was good - but got better.

Of course overall the trade was lopsided, picks and Ricci and Simon etc..

Edited by IBatch

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm no fan of the Maple Leaves..but some of us like to play armchair GM. So I ask the question..Would it be wise to deal this guy now(Everest peak value)?

Consider:

- Their coming cap-crunch, & Matthews has had injuries

- Tavares has meshed so well with Marner

- Matthews potential value in US markets

- Ability to transfer their fwd wealth, into D-man depth

- Still can add Nylander, in addition to haul from Matthews trade

- They'll have to PAY AM 11 or 12 mill, next summer

TOR: Matthews, 1 more player(Holl, Leivo, A Johnsson or Lindholm..basically a 1 mill $ contract)

Trade ideas for 3 US teams..all out west, to have the guy out of Conf

ARIZ: OEL, Keller, Crouse, 2019 2nd r pick, 2020 1st r pick*(conditional on Matthews health. eg 60 gp next season)

StL: ROR(1 mill retained), Parayko, Robert Thomas  ...AAV: about 13 mill cap hit(StLouis takes Hainsey, for cap-consideration)

ANA:  Rakell, Josh Manson, Sam Steel, 2020 1st R pick  ..AAV: about 9 mill

What about these values? Which deal is best?

Had to bump this, @IjustNEEDaTROYgamble the similarity to your prop is striking. Almost 1 yr earlier(362 days?)

Fleas woulda' been wayy better off trying some of the ideas in this thread. You DON'T p!$$ 40 mill on 4 fwds.

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2018 at 1:40 PM, Rick Blight said:

Nux, I think you are underestimating Matthews' value on the trade market. The compensation for signing a RFA at $11M would be 4 1st round picks and I think that is where you would have to peg Matthews' value. I don't believe any of the proposed trades would be of equivalent value to this and I would suggest Toronto would not do any of these deals. The St. Louis offfer would be the best in my estimation but I think you would still have to add a 1st or 2nd to get Toronto to bite.

RB, Aren't StLoo happy today they didn't panic last Dec? How drastically a deal like the above(TO, StLoo one) could have altered outcomes?!

ROR had nagging questions/insinuations for a long while, before busting out last Spring. Tavares/ROR/Kadri would've been a nasty(all-Ont) C trio!

• Cheers 1