The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Running the ball in football

whcanuck

With the way football is now, both in the NFL and CFL and probably even moreso in college, could a team run the ball 35-40 times a game and be successful if they can pick up 3 yards a carry on average. Was watching the 1990 NFC title game between the San Francisco 49ers and New York Giants and it's that old style of smashmouth football where you pound the run and throw in some passes every few plays. I really liked this style of football, today is way too much like glorified arena football for me. Do you think a team could be a throwback to this style and still win 10+ games a year?

9 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

With the way football is now, both in the NFL and CFL and probably even moreso in college, could a team run the ball 35-40 times a game and be successful if they can pick up 3 yards a carry on average. Was watching the 1990 NFC title game between the San Francisco 49ers and New York Giants and it's that old style of smashmouth football where you pound the run and throw in some passes every few plays. I really liked this style of football, today is way too much like glorified arena football for me. Do you think a team could be a throwback to this style and still win 10+ games a year?

Ask Bill Belichik, he's always ahead of the curve.  I bet that's what the Pat's offense will be like when TB12 hangs them up(hopefully this year).  Ironically it was the Pats passing game in 96(they set a NFL record for pass attempts at the time) which led me to become a fan, I hated smash mouth football back then.  And yes that was before TB12 and Belichik, but no one believes me lol.  I think the Giants might want to explore running as it looks like they got the best or soon to be best runner RB in the league.

I get what you mean about arena football now.  I like a good passing game but you have to give DB's a chance to defend and let the D get a good lick on the QB now and then. 

30 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

If I could like this comment 1000 times I would. We can blame the NFL for the state of football right now. Some games are just gross to watch. To see how they have destroyed the defensive game through defensive holding and PI rules makes me sick to my stomach. Seattle runs the ball the most in the NFL and even they run it less than 50% a game and they are well on their way to a 10 win season. It is an unfortunate reality that we will never see football like the mid 2000s again, let alone the 90s or before.

2 hours ago, whcanuck said:

Could just be Tom Brady to throws screen, short slants, and quick 5 or 10 yards ins and outs and STILL be called the GOAT. He the master of short passes and because of that man and also Manning the game changed forever. To complete with the fast game that the NBA provides the NFL did have to make things more interesting. Then there is the whole injurie issue and trying to make  players last longer. 

Also I think its a time management thing as well. A incomplete time stops the ball while a 3yard run keeps the time going. 

The average running back I do think is worst obviously AP and Chris Johnson were amazing in their primes but the average rb is very average 

Archived