The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man up! I’m pissed!

Dumb Nuck

I have to agree the lack of push back is concerning. Being stuck here in Alberta I see a lot of Flames and Oilers games. Other night after a play Dallas defense man goes after Gaudreau - nothing serious but was roughing him up - Tkachuk (yes Tommy the Turtle) immediately went in and went after the Dallas player. Oilers have Kassian, Lucic, Khajira etc to protect McDavid. At what point so the Canucks realize that Elias and Brock deserve the same treatment. Quinn Hughes is also going to be a target when he joins the team in the next year or two. Benning has done a great job of assembling a cast of support players who bring a winning culture (Beagle etc) but its all pointless if we have our elite players being targeted night after night. And relying on the DOPS to protect players is not sound hockey as those clowns in charge where the guys who used to take cheap shots and head shots etc aka Pronger etc.

We aren't a tough team. The league is moving away from tough guy roles. With that said, I would love to see Ross Johnston of the Isles playing in the 4th line vs. Schaller etc. 

The league will get more nasty and then teams will add toughness, but it may be years. Stars will get abused again with dirty little plays and teams will harden up, but that is likely a decade away. We are going soft, as are most other teams. 

Ryan Reaves would be nice. I thought Roussel would add some toughness, but so far he is just Burrows -2.0

2 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Big Mac Truck is the man for this. Too bad he is needed in Utica so much right now.

No slight on big Mac but he is not the player to do this

The guys we are talking about are not the 4th line grinders, but the everyday, 16 to 20 minute p[layers

Mac has not been proven......

The guys in Edmonton.....Lucic, Kassian and Khajira are the guys that don't contribute enough to play those types of minutes

which is why Edmonton is having a problem....

Thye need the young Lucic, not the old one...same for Kassian to a less extent

It frustrates me as well but look at our team!!  Petey, Goldy and Boeser...which of those will protect the other?  Leipsic, Granlund, Eriksson...ya right!  ON D we have Tanev, Stecher, Pouliot, Biega...Not exactly intimidating.  Edler is big but scares no one.  MDZ is physical but also not intimidating.  Jake is big and hits hard but he is no fighter. Schaller is softer than Charmin and has done nothing physical since he came here.   Bo is big but he is not overly physical when it comes to hitting and has not shown himself to be a fighter.

Aside from Guddy, we literally have a team of small, non-physical, non-fighters.  Who is going to respond?  

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I remember that too. Vatrano did change his positioning at the last second, knowing full well that Gudbranson was bearing down on him. Frankly, players that do that are asking to get hurt and should bear some responsibility.

Well, he wasn't tentative at all during the fight, to the point where Martin gave him props during a post game interview. I attribute that controversy to that idiot Dan Murphy who aired a locker room statement on Twitter, which was blown way out of proportion.

The fact that Bill Daley, who's an idiot, came to Vancouver to address the team, spoke to a bias the league has against the Canucks. Players say $&!# like that all the time in the locker room, yet somehow Gudbranson's statement was an indication of the intent to murder? Please.

He's hit players with aplomb numerous times in his young career as an NHL defenseman. Hall, Lucic, Wilson, the list goes on and on. He knows no fear on the ice.

If Green is pumping the brakes on players like Gudbranson showing a physical side to their game, he's making a huge mistake. The Canucks (once close to/fully healthy) need to come out of the gate swinging, setting a tone that lets the other team know that they intend to play hard and fast, and any liberties taken on the likes of Petterson or Boeser will end up costing them dearly.

However, as long as the officials are as pathetic as they are in the NHL, abjectly failing at their jobs, there will be an issue.

half way through the losing slide I fully expected/hoped that some player,any player  would blow a gasket I mean even Horvat answered the bell this year , but to the canuck's. defence the team's veteran presence was decimated  leaving very few player's to respond, i'll add to green's credit IF? he did instruct the team to not retaliate , then this team is following his letter to a T!   but the question still remains ,kudos to the player's proving they would go thru a wall for him ,  personally I wish they would go thru something ,   for green/you/me .

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

half way through the losing slide I fully expected/hoped that some player,any player  would blow a gasket I mean even Horvat answered the bell this year , but to the canuck's. defence the team's veteran presence was decimated  leaving very few player's to respond, i'll add to green's credit IF? he did instruct the team to not retaliate , then this team is following his letter to a T!   but the question still remains ,kudos to the player's proving they would go thru a wall for him ,  personally I wish they would go thru something ,   for green/you/me .

Hopefully Gudbranson goes through Seguin this Saturday. 

Until they overhaul the DoPS with new rules and stricter enforcement and until they overhaul the referee system, it will be always the same for 100 years, tough guys protecting their stars.   While I agree that it should be overhaul, the league is so corrupt that it will always have their favoritism within the circle.  Remember in old days, there widespread corruption within the league that wasn't fixed until union were formed in term of salary within the owner and they made a lot of money and paid their players so little.    They continue to look for ways to make money in expense of fairness within the competition so revenue can grow in fringe markets, more profits for them.   They would throw a bone once every 10 years so it doesn't look that corrupt.   

9 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Wasn't long ago that Gretz called out the Devils as the "Mickey Mouse Club"

They had a good long run of terrible hockey almost puke inducing garbage hockey. 

Until 91 they got a guy some dude Stevens iunno 

Just joshing but as soon as him and Claude came to New Jersey the nickname left faster then stretchers off the ice after Stevens was done.

I will never forget watching Stevens stare down a young egotistical player running around smack talking and Steven would shout "Keep your head up." Next play the player would hit the next on coming train to the station of KO'd with his head down no one would rush Steven's afraid of Claude or being next. Lindros had to learn that a lot. It's funny how Stevens started off like a Eric Karlsson esc player and turned into a deadly bruiser. 

We need one guy to police 

scott-stevens.jpg

Stevens was my favourite player for years. 

I’d trade almost any Canuck for a young Stevens.  

No messing around with that guy on the ice.   

3 hours ago, Toews said:

The exact same site. That % is going to keep plummeting.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/stats/

Definitely compared to even 5 but certainly 10 years ago the goon numbers and staged fight numbers have dropped.  But the in game heat of the moment fights obviously still happen and quite frequently.

since we are living in the now and our current franchise player and other high end prospects are developing in our system in the present; the “safe environment” needs to be in action and not just words from JB at the start of the year.

The game against the Sabres and Lightning had a dangerous hit head first into the boards from behind by Jack Eichel.I hope the league looks at a dangerous hit and suspenses Jack because if it was the other way around it would be all over the T.V.

If you see this hit you will see how close it was to breaking the neck, of the player hit.(I think it was Callahan?)

IF NOT IT SHOWS THAT STARS DEFINITELY GET SPECIAL TREATMENT.

6 hours ago, combover said:

Miller.

Tean has too many smaller ineffective players even when heathy. 

Bottom six should have some teeth but in stead they filled it with chihuahuas.

motte rousel the only two that hit 

Virtanen Horvat provide some physicality to the top six

aside from that even when heathy it’s a lot of guys that turn off there checks let alone stand up for each other. 

Schaller gags and Leipsic should wake up on a bus to the farm today Or wherever like Poo the teams better without them. 

Eriksdone should be given the Higgins “just stay home “ treatment. When Actually Higgins was more effective than what this 6mill dollar pos provides when he was grossly mistreated by this group. 

Roussel certainly brings teeth :bigblush:

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

We may have the Russian version if we can pry him and his wife from their homeland.

Not even close.   

Stevens was a huge point producer.  

Tryamkin is not.  

Stevens was a dangerous savage. 

Tryamkin is not. 

Stevens was amazing defensively. 

Tryamkin is not.  

The kid wont become even a sliver of what Hall of fame Scott Stevens.  

With an already depleted roster we can't afford more injuries or suspensions.

The team needs to play tough on an every single individual basis.  Fighting tough is a good way for us to lose even more players as we end up getting most of the attention.  I like don't back down and hit hard tough.  I think our guys will be just fine.

I like Jake Virtanen type toughness.  Can play but also isn't scared or tentative out there.  Even Petey surprises me with how he'll go into a puck battle and not shy away.

This topic is so overdone.

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thye need the young Lucic, not the old one...same for Kassian to a less extent

I agree.

Unfortunately, they're a rare breed.

I think Jake has the potential to become one of these guys to some degree.  Loose cannon tough.

I don’t think there was anyone in the lineup last night that could drop the gloves . Horvat is too important to sit for 5 mins, but probably the best fighter dressed in a Canuck uniform last night.

Bit different when Gudbranson, Rousell, and Beagle are on the ice, everyone is a little braver.

Archived