The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man up! I’m pissed!

Dumb Nuck

I am so sick and tired of watching the Canucks be so abused with no response, it’s a dangerous attitude to turn the other cheek that put our young stars at increased risk. Someone needs to man up and start letting the other teams know cheap shots are not OK, the refs sure as hell ain’t gonna do it.

Could you imagine Derek Dorsett on a line with Elias Pettersson.... ever since we lost him we lost a bit of our identity. The guy was a Burrows loves Vancouver, loved the fan, loved the team he went out did his best and stood up to the best. 

It's not easy replacing guys like him 

I miss guys like Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows, Cowen, Rome. 

I really want Jim Benning to say enough is enough send the team a message by calling a taxi for Loui. Just needs to send a message that he is watching and he is the big cheese. 

Loui's been very bad for the last few games, but that's getting away from the topic.  

We don't have much in the way of toughness past Archie.  Zach MacEwen is another bigger player that drops the mitts, but we don't have anyone that can match Reaves.  

We need a Lucic type for less then 6 mil. 

Also that hit on Edler,blindside to the head to be bandaged up REF right there and  wait for it    "NO CALL"!

The second time a Vegas player has hit a Canuck in the head one has yet to return and  NO CALL!

The REFEREEING, leaves most Canuck fans who watch this chaos to wonder WTF!

I mean do the Canucks have to really go out and get a bunch of goons like say Edmonton or can this league handle their own rules.

21 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Also that hit on Edler,blindside to the head to be bandaged up REF right there and  wait for it    "NO CALL"!

The second time a Vegas player has hit a Canuck in the head one has yet to return and  NO CALL!

The REFEREEING, leaves most Canuck fans who watch this chaos to wonder WTF!

I mean do the Canucks have to really go out and get a bunch of goons like say Edmonton or can this league handle their own rules.

Wasn't long ago that Gretz called out the Devils as the "Mickey Mouse Club"

They had a good long run of terrible hockey almost puke inducing garbage hockey. 

Until 91 they got a guy some dude Stevens iunno 

Just joshing but as soon as him and Claude came to New Jersey the nickname left faster then stretchers off the ice after Stevens was done.

I will never forget watching Stevens stare down a young egotistical player running around smack talking and Steven would shout "Keep your head up." Next play the player would hit the next on coming train to the station of KO'd with his head down no one would rush Steven's afraid of Claude or being next. Lindros had to learn that a lot. It's funny how Stevens started off like a Eric Karlsson esc player and turned into a deadly bruiser. 

We need one guy to police 

scott-stevens.jpg

Scott Stevens was my idea of a defense man.He had skills to crush people or give that great pass to spring people on the fly.Rarely ever would a player of his caliber just give it back to the other team or give the suicide pass.

We should be so lucky to get a defense man of his ability,in fifty years I can see maybe three coming close but not enough of them .Our biggest handicap has been defense as you can tell by all our Stanley Cups.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS,PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

2 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Could you imagine Derek Dorsett on a line with Elias Pettersson.... ever since we lost him we lost a bit of our identity. The guy was a Burrows loves Vancouver, loved the fan, loved the team he went out did his best and stood up to the best. 

It's not easy replacing guys like him 

I miss guys like Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows, Cowen, Rome. 

I really want Jim Benning to say enough is enough send the team a message by calling a taxi for Loui. Just needs to send a message that he is watching and he is the big cheese. 

I know schaller has been a healthy scratch but i was hoping he'd be used in one meaning nothing game and go out and serve notice to the league by putting a bitch bad slap on someone just to show we have if we need it but haven't seen anything yet, not that there any actual mean nothing games but maybe one that was too far out of reach to win and someone took a cheap shot against us and then send him out but either way a simple "message" would help i think...

This is going to be unpopular but here goes... When we are going to stop holding our players to a standard that the rest of the league clearly isn't following? Because fights are plummeting, enforcers are disappearing and the league as a whole is becoming more and more non-confrontational and reliant on officiating/DOPS. We already have one of the toughest players in the league in Gudbranson. I think has Benning has done his job here, if you have a problem its with the players and coaching staff but you really are kidding yourself if you think this isn't a league wide thing at this point. 

This is why I’m not convinced the new fad of drafting small and skilled top heavy guys is going to work out long term (at least without a healthy dose of pugulence and truculence added to the line-up).  Maybe it won’t matter and the league will finally police itself well enough to keep the dirty stuff out, but that’s a huge maybe given every effort to do so has failed since they seriously started trying over 20 years ago.   I don’t belong to this two rule book club nor any conspiracy theories, plays like last nights also go unpunished to other teams,  but we’ve definitely had our fair share of bad calls and abuse over the years.  It wasn’t perfect with our fourth line made up with enforcers, but at least then it felt like justice would be served quick and cold to anyone who took liberties and that players didn’t whack a star nearly as much....now when these things happen it just leaves a hollow feeling when nobody steps up and sticks up for anyone, or even nauseated.    The league is only getting so much time to get their police office in order, eventually one GMs going to have had enough and bring up a couple tough sobs to play with their star players.  Benning has cause to do that now, Schaller and Roussel so far are not it, Gudbranson is fine when he plays.   Our two biggest franchise hopefuls are not big guys, if this team can’t protect them then our next core isn’t going anywhere, especially come playoff time (how many whacks, slashes, hits and cheapshots has Crosby played through?  It won’t be any different for our stars).

3 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

Wasn't long ago that Gretz called out the Devils as the "Mickey Mouse Club"

They had a good long run of terrible hockey almost puke inducing garbage hockey. 

Until 91 they got a guy some dude Stevens iunno 

Just joshing but as soon as him and Claude came to New Jersey the nickname left faster then stretchers off the ice after Stevens was done.

I will never forget watching Stevens stare down a young egotistical player running around smack talking and Steven would shout "Keep your head up." Next play the player would hit the next on coming train to the station of KO'd with his head down no one would rush Steven's afraid of Claude or being next. Lindros had to learn that a lot. It's funny how Stevens started off like a Eric Karlsson esc player and turned into a deadly bruiser. 

We need one guy to police 

scott-stevens.jpg

Long enough to feel old.  Was it 1984?  Gretzky had an 8 point night and they beat them 11-1 or something like that...and they were a few years away from getting some of the best odds at Mario.  All that losing did get them Brodeur and Niedermayer eventually, and Stevens from WSH although I’d say he started his career a lot more like Robinson (he fought a lot and had seasons of 250ish PMs) than EK.

Funny that two of the leagues worst teams in the 80s NJ and Detroit became two of the best in the 90s (hope for us and EDM yet in the 2020’s?).    Stevens would be given 1000 games in suspensions for most of his hits nowadays....unless he could keep them on the shoulder without blowing through the head too which wouldn’t be easy given how hard he came in on guys.  I’d take a guy like him in an instant.    

5 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I am so sick and tired of watching the Canucks be so abused with no response, it’s a dangerous attitude to turn the other cheek that put our young stars at increased risk. Someone needs to man up and start letting the other teams know cheap shots are not OK, the refs sure as hell ain’t gonna do it.

Im also pissed and some of the trends hockey has taken.  Used to be that players stuck up for each other no matter the cost, now hardly anyone does anything including the guys you’d expect too.  I have very little confidence that the league will ever be successful in suspending players out of their transgressions, it didn’t work for the worst player ever (Cooke) even though later on he said he’d change and seemed too,  all it took was 18 months and he was back at it in the playoffs with Barrie.  Savards career ended, EKs Achilles’ tendon severed with a foot stomp, and a whole pile of other garbage.  I’ve got print media from the early nineties that talk about the league taking steps to reduce interference, fighting, and cheap shots through rule changes and supplemental discipline...ha ha same as it ever was, but at least there is no more red line and obstruction was finally beaten out of hockey post lock-out.  Guess we will have to accept that they’ve accomplished all that they can, even though they gave Wilson a ridiculous 20 games for what used to be a perfectly legal hit.

A bunch of people here still dreaming about a player like Stevens.  How about a guy like Pronger?  Or some other hall of fame talent that simply doesn't exist anymore?

My point is that you cant just find or draft a player like them.  The big, talented, hard-hitting defenseman has always been a rarity.  There's only a handful of them left.  Byfuglien, Doughty and Weber are the only decent ones who still command the blueline with skill and physicality.  Others like Chara or Phaneuf are still big hitters but they cant move the puck anymore.  Are any of these five players attainable?  Maybe, but you'll have to give up a lot for an aging veteran (unless it's Doughty who we will have to trade EP40 or Boeser).

Just get it out of your system.  The dead puck era is over.  Rock em sock em hockey isn't coming back anytime soon.  There is more skill and speed than ever before.  This is what the league wants and that is what teams will want when drafting.

We have Edler and Gudbranson.  We do not need a player like Lucic, who is slow, overpaid, and overall disliked by the Oilers fanbase.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

The last person to make a meaningful attempt at protecting the players on this team was Torts. 

Miller.

Tean has too many smaller ineffective players even when heathy. 

Bottom six should have some teeth but in stead they filled it with chihuahuas.

motte rousel the only two that hit 

Virtanen Horvat provide some physicality to the top six

aside from that even when heathy it’s a lot of guys that turn off there checks let alone stand up for each other. 

Schaller gags and Leipsic should wake up on a bus to the farm today Or wherever like Poo the teams better without them. 

Eriksdone should be given the Higgins “just stay home “ treatment. When Actually Higgins was more effective than what this 6mill dollar pos provides when he was grossly mistreated by this group. 

47 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A bunch of people here still dreaming about a player like Stevens.  How about a guy like Pronger?  Or some other hall of fame talent that simply doesn't exist anymore?

My point is that you cant just find or draft a player like them.  The big, talented, hard-hitting defenseman has always been a rarity.  There's only a handful of them left.  Byfuglien, Doughty and Weber are the only decent ones who still command the blueline with skill and physicality.  Others like Chara or Phaneuf are still big hitters but they cant move the puck anymore.  Are any of these five players attainable?  Maybe, but you'll have to give up a lot for an aging veteran (unless it's Doughty who we will have to trade EP40 or Boeser).

Just get it out of your system.  The dead puck era is over.  Rock em sock em hockey isn't coming back anytime soon.  There is more skill and speed than ever before.  This is what the league wants and that is what teams will want when drafting.

We have Edler and Gudbranson.  We do not need a player like Lucic, who is slow, overpaid, and overall disliked by the Oilers fanbase.

You don't need Rock em sock em hockey for some speedy skilled toughness: 

Marcus Foligno

Evander Kane

Josh Anderson

Jamie Benn 

Wayne Simmonds

Anders Lee

Matthew Tkachuk

Archived