The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man up! I’m pissed!

Dumb Nuck

37 minutes ago, combover said:

Miller.

Tean has too many smaller ineffective players even when heathy. 

Bottom six should have some teeth but in stead they filled it with chihuahuas.

motte rousel the only two that hit 

Virtanen Horvat provide some physicality to the top six

aside from that even when heathy it’s a lot of guys that turn off there checks let alone stand up for each other. 

Schaller gags and Leipsic should wake up on a bus to the farm today Or wherever like Poo the teams better without them. 

Eriksdone should be given the Higgins “just stay home “ treatment. When Actually Higgins was more effective than what this 6mill dollar pos provides when he was grossly mistreated by this group. 

Forgot about Miller. That was Stecher too right? Damn shame the last 2 people that made an effort to protect this team was a coach and a goalie. 

2 hours ago, Toews said:

This is going to be unpopular but here goes... When we are going to stop holding our players to a standard that the rest of the league clearly isn't following? Because fights are plummeting, enforcers are disappearing and the league as a whole is becoming more and more non-confrontational and reliant on officiating/DOPS. We already have one of the toughest players in the league in Gudbranson. I think has Benning has done his job here, if you have a problem its with the players and coaching staff but you really are kidding yourself if you think this isn't a league wide thing at this point. 

Where are you getting this from?

there are literally fights almost every night in the nhl and some nights there are multiple fights.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fightlog/

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A bunch of people here still dreaming about a player like Stevens.  How about a guy like Pronger?  Or some other hall of fame talent that simply doesn't exist anymore?

My point is that you cant just find or draft a player like them.  The big, talented, hard-hitting defenseman has always been a rarity.  There's only a handful of them left.  Byfuglien, Doughty and Weber are the only decent ones who still command the blueline with skill and physicality.  Others like Chara or Phaneuf are still big hitters but they cant move the puck anymore.  Are any of these five players attainable?  Maybe, but you'll have to give up a lot for an aging veteran (unless it's Doughty who we will have to trade EP40 or Boeser).

Just get it out of your system.  The dead puck era is over.  Rock em sock em hockey isn't coming back anytime soon.  There is more skill and speed than ever before.  This is what the league wants and that is what teams will want when drafting.

We have Edler and Gudbranson.  We do not need a player like Lucic, who is slow, overpaid, and overall disliked by the Oilers fanbase.

Dahlin would fit that role. Mind you his offensive talents made him a number one overall haha

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I am so sick and tired of watching the Canucks be so abused with no response, it’s a dangerous attitude to turn the other cheek that put our young stars at increased risk. Someone needs to man up and start letting the other teams know cheap shots are not OK, the refs sure as hell ain’t gonna do it.

Gudbranson's hit in Game #1! Was the LAST show of "we are not backing down to anybody". For the rest of the season we have had periodic hints of aggressive play. 

Since then, we have had numerous "cheap shots" on our players.

Guys like Schaller, Gudbranson, Roussel etc. are on this team for a reason and its not for their offensive prowess. Archie was supposed to be "that guy" too. 

If EVERYONE is NOT doing their job, then it makes it difficult for others to do their job, its pretty simple.

I think there's a complete over reaction here. It's obvious that the team would have reacted had they seen what happened to Edler. Those pesky teams are getting so lucky that the whole team is always focused on the play and don't see what happened otherwise there would be hell to pay! 

/sarcasm

OK - I just have to ask this - and blast me if you like

What is it about Shaller? I have not seen anything from him that helps me understand why he is even on the team - I don't see hustle, I don't see offense, I don't see defense, no scoring, no sticking up for team mates - someone tell me - what am I missing ?

Maybe I should have posted this in the player thread - sry

1 minute ago, Bo fan said:

OK - I just have to ask this - and blast me if you like

What is it about Shaller? I have not seen anything from him that helps me understand why he is even on the team - I don't see hustle, I don't see offense, I don't see defense, no scoring, no sticking up for team mates - someone tell me - what am I missing ?

You're not missing anything. He's been the most useless signing of the offseason. Doesn't offer the team anything. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Forgot about Miller. That was Stecher too right? Damn shame the last 2 people that made an effort to protect this team was a coach and a goalie. 

Tryamkin, 3 times

12 minutes ago, Kushman said:

You're not missing anything. He's been the most useless signing of the offseason. Doesn't offer the team anything. 

Why? Expectations? 4th liner, I guess he was signed to be a bigger player, in size and hopefully an upgrade

"Playing all 82 games this season is something to be proud of looking at how battered this Bruins team was. Injuries throughout the season was certainly a frustrating feat for the team, but Schaller never sat out a game and gave support to his at times injury infested team. He didn’t walk away pain-free, though. Schaller underwent hand surgery this summer. He should be good to go come October for his debut with Vancouver.

Though he had a season of career highs, the fourth line really struggled in the second round of the playoffs."

The team definitely needs to show more fight. I'm hoping for a return to form on Saturday. Gudbranson, and possibly Beagle will return. With Guddy's return, the defense will be back up to full strength, and he should be able to focus on a more physical game. Pairing him with Edler would be the best idea at this point, as Edler is being wasted with Biega, who should be heading down to Utica in short order.

Roussel has been injured far too often this season, but has shown some pushback (dare I say some bite?) in his time. Beagle showed a consistent physical presence, and Jake just keeps getting better. Schaller is nothing special and should be seeing the inside of a pressbox.

31 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Gudbranson's hit in Game #1! Was the LAST show of "we are not backing down to anybody". For the rest of the season we have had periodic hints of aggressive play. 

Since then, we have had numerous "cheap shots" on our players.

Guys like Schaller, Gudbranson, Roussel etc. are on this team for a reason and its not for their offensive prowess. Archie was supposed to be "that guy" too. 

If EVERYONE is NOT doing their job, then it makes it difficult for others to do their job, its pretty simple.

did the canuck conspiracy theorist's get into greens head? has green told the players 'no retribution'? there really is no shortage of player's on the team that could step up,  i'm certainly not one of those theorist's but the lack of pushback  with a possibility being one of greens directive's or it's just a weird co-incidence that were stuck with a passive group of players with some pugilistic potential?

Just now, chon derry said:

did the canuck conspiracy theorist's get into greens head? has green told the players 'no retribution'? there really is no shortage of player's on the team that could step up,  i'm certainly not one of those theorist's but the lack of pushback  with a possibility being one of greens directive's or it's just a weird co-incidence that were stuck with a passive group of players with some pugilistic potential?

That's been my biggest question, especially regarding Gudbranson. I have a hard time believing that Guddy would change his approach completely and play a passive game in order to work on his offense and defense. In my mind, it was a directive from Green to work on playing solid defense, especially when the injuries ravaged the whole team.

That being said, the directive now, with the team returning to full strength, should be a pack mentality, with players like Guddy (not just him though) putting more effort back into scaring the crap out of the opposition, should they touch Petterson or Boeser. Sure Roussel can do it too, but when facing a player bearing down on you, who are you bracing for impact more from, Guddy or Roussel?

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

You don't need Rock em sock em hockey for some speedy skilled toughness: 

Marcus Foligno

Evander Kane

Josh Anderson

Jamie Benn 

Wayne Simmonds

Anders Lee

Matthew Tkachuk

Many others out there too

Tuch from Vegas is impressive

One of the things that I would like to see Virtanen do a little more, is be aggressive in his over all manner

meaning, giving the extra hit that is closer borderline, and maybe a little payback

I think that come from Green and by extension Benning, who need to accept there maybe the odd extra penalty

I would much rather have Virtanen take out a guy by taking a penalty, that Roussel taking his penalty for

yapping, and tough talk.....same goes for Gudbranson

Further, Benning has to start looking at multi-tool box players, such that can both play on the top 3 lines and 

still crush a guy, if liberties have taken place. We all whine when we see Kane, take someone out, but we are looking for much the same thing.

Well, yes, but he can play on that edge, where he skates in the grey, and can turn to the dark side if the occasion arises…….

Benn, although at a much higher skill level, does the same thing, Tkachuk's the same...….even Monahan will answer...….

I think in today's NHL, those types of players, are invaluable, and end up being team leaders, and make the teams play bigger

I think Woo to some extent is that kind of player, as is Gadjovich, but neither will be top 6 players, and therefore will not be a in the moment deterrent,

if they even make it onto the Canucks at some point...…...but the main point that I see, is we are short those types, and if we want a top end on,

we will need to draft and develop one ourselves...….

We need to focus on bigger with our top end picks, the danger of not doing that, comes when the league swings back to darker times, 

where the Boston model is allowed to exist. I think we need to build a hy-breed, which is why I don't think another Hughes is what we need...….

I also do not think that acquiring what we need is all that easy.....aka a Brady Tkachuk, Alex Tuch, Jamie Benn types are not put on the market

for any price, which is why Virtanen becomes so important to the Canucks

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's been my biggest question, especially regarding Gudbranson. I have a hard time believing that Guddy would change his approach completely and play a passive game in order to work on his offense and defense. In my mind, it was a directive from Green to work on playing solid defense, especially when the injuries ravaged the whole team.

That being said, the directive now, with the team returning to full strength, should be a pack mentality, with players like Guddy (not just him though) putting more effort back into scaring the crap out of the opposition, should they touch Petterson or Boeser. Sure Roussel can do it too, but when facing a player bearing down on you, who are you bracing for impact more from, Guddy or Roussel?

last year guddy received  a 1 game suspension on a hit to a boston player ,then there was the M.Martin incident that may have left him a little tentative? not withstanding those incidents he never was very aggressive ,but more reactionary. but , like  you I would definatly like to see a set the tone style game ,than having to be forced  or expected to react ,only to have no reaction  which from a smaller player's, or a younger player's(EP) perspective has to be a little disheartening.

10 minutes ago, chon derry said:

last year guddy received  a 1 game suspension on a hit to a boston player

I remember that too. Vatrano did change his positioning at the last second, knowing full well that Gudbranson was bearing down on him. Frankly, players that do that are asking to get hurt and should bear some responsibility.

,then there was the M.Martin incident that may have left him a little tentative?

Well, he wasn't tentative at all during the fight, to the point where Martin gave him props during a post game interview. I attribute that controversy to that idiot Dan Murphy who aired a locker room statement on Twitter, which was blown way out of proportion.

The fact that Bill Daley, who's an idiot, came to Vancouver to address the team, spoke to a bias the league has against the Canucks. Players say $&!# like that all the time in the locker room, yet somehow Gudbranson's statement was an indication of the intent to murder? Please.

not withstanding those incidents he never was very aggressive ,but more reactionary.

He's hit players with aplomb numerous times in his young career as an NHL defenseman. Hall, Lucic, Wilson, the list goes on and on. He knows no fear on the ice.

but , like  you I would definatly like to see a set the tone style game ,than having to be forced  or expected to react ,only to have no reaction  which from a smaller player's, or a younger player's(EP) perspective has to be a little disheartening.

If Green is pumping the brakes on players like Gudbranson showing a physical side to their game, he's making a huge mistake. The Canucks (once close to/fully healthy) need to come out of the gate swinging, setting a tone that lets the other team know that they intend to play hard and fast, and any liberties taken on the likes of Petterson or Boeser will end up costing them dearly.

However, as long as the officials are as pathetic as they are in the NHL, abjectly failing at their jobs, there will be an issue.

13 minutes ago, chon derry said:

last year guddy received  a 1 game suspension on a hit to a boston player ,then there was the M.Martin incident that may have left him a little tentative? not withstanding those incidents he never was very aggressive ,but more reactionary. but , like  you I would definatly like to see a set the tone style game ,than having to be forced  or expected to react ,only to have no reaction  which from a smaller player's, or a younger player's(EP) perspective has to be a little disheartening.

Just occurred to me after reading your comments about younger or smaller players, is that none of those guys take matters into their own hands, like to old days...there is no spears, there is no major slashes, there is no cross checks...…….

Which brings me to guys like Max Domi, and Marchand...…..you can't trust them, and even if you go at them...you know they will get you back....same with Gallagher in Montreal, you just don't go after these guys, even if you big, cause there is a cost...…...high end players with bite, they are rare, and everyone wants one

But if your coach is going to sit him, when he does this, you iron the starch right out of the player...……….when he is young

We just had 20 years of turning the other cheek, we need to move away from that to some extent...…...funny thing is those type of players don't get big suspensions, or get injured much.

Archived