The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Wilson at it Again

Wilson did that on purpose.  The guy is a complete idiot.  The league should toss him for good.  And other teams need to run OV (who I love as a player) and Backstrom.  If the league doesn’t stop Wilson, I will have to come from his teammates telling him they are targets of cheap shots, because of him.  

Just now, MikeyBoy44 said:

I'm a Wilson supporter, but wtf even was that. May as well start looking for a team in Russia.

Its not as bad as some of his other ones in terms of impact... at least this wasn't a hit directly to the head (though you can certainly still get a concussion, especially when blindsided like that).

The problem is that he just is incapable of learning, or doesn't care to learn. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

Its not as bad as some of his other ones in terms of impact... at least this wasn't a hit directly to the head (though you can certainly still get a concussion, especially when blindsided like that).

The problem is that he just is incapable of learning, or doesn't care to learn. 

I would have fought for him on a couple of his suspensions. But this punishment will be justified.

I'll need to see a better angle. Didn't look like a headshot at first glance, but may have been akin to the Baertschi headshot. If the head was actually the principle point of contact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the rest of the season at this rate. This quickly after a 20-game suspension will not be handled lightly by the DOPS.

All in all, I'd need a better angle and slow mo to make a good decision.

OK, on the one hand, this is Wilson, he should not be given the benefit on the doubt.

On the other, what the hell was Seney doing? He turns as he dishes the puck, and just goes for a stroll backwards in the middle of the ice. Wilson changes direction to go around him - he isn't even looking at him, he's looking past him, trying to get to the puck - but Seney just drifts backwards into his lane. That was just stupidity on Seney's part, and (I can't believe I'm saying this, but) I don't think Wilson meant it at all.

IMO, no suspension. I think the penalty was undeserved.

I don't see this as a hit to the head, but it definitely was late. I've got 2 seconds between the time the puck leaves Seney's stick and when Wilson makes contact. 

If this was anyone else, I would say the penalty was enough and no suspension....because this is Wilson, I'm going to say 15 games.

8 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

If Tom Wilson does this to a Canuck. Does he even get a penalty? Same as the Reaves hit. Figure your crap out NHL. 

No question it's a penalty.... A Canucks penalty that is, for complaining.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'll need to see a better angle. Didn't look like a headshot at first glance, but may have been akin to the Baertschi headshot. If the head was actually the principle point of contact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the rest of the season at this rate. This quickly after a 20-game suspension will not be handled lightly by the DOPS.

All in all, I'd need a better angle and slow mo to make a good decision.

I've seen a few angles and I don't think the head was the principal point of contact.... its possible that he didn't even hit Seney's head at all. 

But, it is still a blindside hit, and I don't buy other peoples' argument that Seney turned at the last minute. Wilson had plenty of time to see him and just did not care. 

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

OK, on the one hand, this is Wilson, he should not be given the benefit on the doubt.

On the other, what the hell was Seney doing? He turns as he dishes the puck, and just goes for a stroll backwards in the middle of the ice. Wilson changes direction to go around him - he isn't even looking at him, he's looking past him, trying to get to the puck - but Seney just drifts backwards into his lane. That was just stupidity on Seney's part, and (I can't believe I'm saying this, but) I don't think Wilson meant it at all.

IMO, no suspension. I think the penalty was undeserved.

This is part of the problem. People think you have to be looking directly at someone to know where they are on the ice. This is why you see so many 'accidental collisions' in the NHL... people are willing to buy this crap.  

The DoPS published an explanation video on what they look for in determining whether the head was the main point of contact or not.  If the head snaps back and does not move in the same direction as the body then it's a head shot.  If it's a clean body hit then the body and head will move in the same direction.

Archived