The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop the complaining and support your team

Alcholic9000

On 12/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, THINKER said:

Are you referring to reigning league MVP Taylor Hall?

Those Oiler teams had some young players at the top of their lineup, but the rest of their lineup was chock full of veterans who weren't very good.  Players like Boyd Gordon, Ales Hemsky, Ryan Smyth, Shawn Horcoff, Eric Belanger.  As well as nothing on the back end.  Sounds awfully similar to the Canucks current set-up.

I see you clearly like to spin things in your favour but those Oiler teams were nothing like the current Canucks team (including how Taylor Hall, etc. played - getting traded was probably the best thing for Hall b/c he realized he had to play a more complete game).

On 12/5/2018 at 9:57 PM, THINKER said:

Well there's really nothing more to discuss here.  You openly admit you would rather have a worse player who's cheaper because the good player costs money.  We could fit in Nylander's $6.9M cap hit along with those other players if Benning would stop signing bad contracts.  $23.5M wasted on Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Sutter, and Gudbranson long-term.  

I would absolutely be thrilled to pay big dollars to Matthew Tkachuk.  He's an excellent hockey player, but again, you admit you prefer a worse player who hasn't been tracking well since his draft.  He's not looking like he'll be anything close to a top 3 d-man.  

No, drafting has not been really strong under Benning.  It's been about average.  Two blatant misses with the Virtanen and Juolevi picks when people on draft day said there were better players available does not mean he's been really strong at the draft table.  He's been average.  A couple hits, a couple misses.  Outside of the first round there hasn't been much success.  

I'm not sure what your long-term scope is, but 4 years is long-term.  Eriksson has 4 years left on his contract (including this season).  Beagle and Roussel have 4 years left.  Gudbranson and Sutter each have 3 years left.  Those are terrible contracts which will hurt this team.  

I think you are seriously overestimating what Benning has done here.  He's built a team with a prospect pool that isn't that deep, and now that Pettersson has graduated, the prospect pool doesn't look very good at all.  The Canucks have merely 2 Benning draft picks on its main roster right now.  And the team is full of bad contracts.  There's almost nothing on the back end, and nothing on the wings.  

The Canucks aren't anywhere close, thanks to Benning's dreadful management of this team.

If you consider offensive numbers one to one of those to players then Nylander and Tkachuk are certainly more impactful so far. That doesn't mean that will be the case at the end of the day. You have tried to spin things but the main point of discussion is who would a team rather pay big money to and I would rather see the Canucks spend money on players like Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat. I only care about Cups and could care less about the regular season...that will be the real tell long term. Teams need diversity to win the Cup and I think a guy like Virtanen will pay big dividends come playoff time.

Technically three Benning draft picks are on the team - Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette. Prospects typically take about four years to develop so more and more will join the team. 6 players from his first two drafts have already played in the NHL and a seventh is Demko. Majority of analysis shows that his last two drafts have been better so drafting has definitely been better than average.

i ain't complaining about the team i'm complaining about the people that thinks we are pretty much done with the rebuild and think we can compete with most teams in the west when in reality we are really only better than 2 of 3 on paper, and our defense looks like crap even with Hughes and Juolevi and even woo we are praying every one of them turns out to be a top 2 top 4 but in reality prolly only 1 of 3 will pan out and the rest will be bottom 4s just like what we have now full of bottom 4 defenseman that is playing top 2 top 4 and we think they are the next best thing since slice bread

2 hours ago, Jetliner said:

We suck. Fire everyone. Now

:bigblush:

Wow we beat barely hung on to beat Nashville team who didn’t have four of there best players in the lineup

PK Suuban

Filip Forsberg

Victor Arvidsson

Kyle Turris 

i mean im happy we won but a little early for sarcasm after those players were not playing 

On 12/2/2018 at 11:12 AM, Alcholic9000 said:

We are either in the middle or tail end of a rebuild, every analyst had is ranked near the bottom in every field.  Now that we are losing its all fire this person trade that one.  What is trading mdz gonna get us?  We have maybe 1-2 defence that would make it on a contending team.  Relax. 

I'm personally happy with where we are, we are seeing growth from a lot of our future core, also while we are not winning the effort on most nights seems there.  This is a year to allow mistakes, I am not wanting the team to tank and lose for the sake of losing, but I am completely ok with young players making young player mistakes and our swiss chesse defence (most of which will not be here when we finally come out of rebuild) make terrible plays that cost us the game. 

What I don't want to see happen is for the fans to demand change, stop going games etc.  This is when the aqua brothers start demanding drastic changes and we screw up what is starting to look like a good foundation for instant mediocre results.  

So support the team, buy the $&!#, enjoy all the excuses to drink more in frustration, but don't be a child demanding instant results.  

Sorry for morning drunk rant 

Go Canucks Go

True fans cheer for their team when they win but cheer harder when they are having a tough time and need a lift.

Fairweather "fans" only come out of the woodwork if there is a win and/or they pile on vile hate.   Not really a fan if you don't support your team no matter the outcome.   That's how it is in my books.  Some on CDC clearly differ.   :)

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

True fans cheer for their team when they win but cheer harder when they are having a tough time and need a lift.

Fairweather "fans" only come out of the woodwork if there is a win and/or they pile on vile hate.   Not really a fan if you don't support your team no matter the outcome.   That's how it is in my books.  Some on CDC clearly differ.   :)

thats very true. But I was raised a Saskatchewan Roughriders fan so my expectations are really low. 

13 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Wow we beat barely hung on to beat Nashville team who didn’t have four of there best players in the lineup

PK Suuban

Filip Forsberg

Victor Arvidsson

Kyle Turris 

i mean im happy we won but a little early for sarcasm after those players were not playing 

Ya, the Canucks don't have any injuries or players just back in line up.   

Well there's really nothing more to discuss here.  You openly admit you would rather have a worse player who's cheaper because the good player costs money.  We could fit in Nylander's $6.9M cap hit along with those other players if Benning would stop signing bad contracts.  $23.5M wasted on Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Sutter, and Gudbranson long-term.  

I would absolutely be thrilled to pay big dollars to Matthew Tkachuk.  He's an excellent hockey player, but again, you admit you prefer a worse player who hasn't been tracking well since his draft.  He's not looking like he'll be anything close to a top 3 d-man.  

No, drafting has not been really strong under Benning.  It's been about average.  Two blatant misses with the Virtanen and Juolevi picks when people on draft day said there were better players available does not mean he's been really strong at the draft table.  He's been average.  A couple hits, a couple misses.  Outside of the first round there hasn't been much success.  

I'm not sure what your long-term scope is, but 4 years is long-term.  Eriksson has 4 years left on his contract (including this season).  Beagle and Roussel have 4 years left.  Gudbranson and Sutter each have 3 years left.  Those are terrible contracts which will hurt this team.  

I think you are seriously overestimating what Benning has done here.  He's built a team with a prospect pool that isn't that deep, and now that Pettersson has graduated, the prospect pool doesn't look very good at all.  The Canucks have merely 2 Benning draft picks on its main roster right now.  And the team is full of bad contracts.  There's almost nothing on the back end, and nothing on the wings.  

The Canucks aren't anywhere close, thanks to Benning's dreadful management of this team.

Looks like the gofundme  billboard poster rally is really coming along hey?

You should stop watching hockey if you think Benning hasn't been drafting well.  You also lose all credibility as all GM's miss out on players in the draft. Plus you talk in retrospect which anyone can do.  Fact of the matter is our young talent pool is the best it has ever been yet you keep on hating just for the sake of hating.  Life must be tough.  Hate on though.  

On 12/2/2018 at 11:12 AM, Alcholic9000 said:

We are either in the middle or tail end of a rebuild, every analyst had is ranked near the bottom in every field.  Now that we are losing its all fire this person trade that one.  What is trading mdz gonna get us?  We have maybe 1-2 defence that would make it on a contending team.  Relax. 

I'm personally happy with where we are, we are seeing growth from a lot of our future core, also while we are not winning the effort on most nights seems there.  This is a year to allow mistakes, I am not wanting the team to tank and lose for the sake of losing, but I am completely ok with young players making young player mistakes and our swiss chesse defence (most of which will not be here when we finally come out of rebuild) make terrible plays that cost us the game. 

What I don't want to see happen is for the fans to demand change, stop going games etc.  This is when the aqua brothers start demanding drastic changes and we screw up what is starting to look like a good foundation for instant mediocre results.  

So support the team, buy the $&!#, enjoy all the excuses to drink more in frustration, but don't be a child demanding instant results.  

Sorry for morning drunk rant 

Go Canucks Go

Rebuild? In the middle... if we're in the end of it i'm scared... 

Archived