The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

I don't think Leivo or Pearson will be top 6 players on this team 2-4 years down the road. 

I deally, they should be on the 3rd line. Pretty good depth forward who brings grit, forcheck and decent offense. I would not mind to have them on the 3rd line. But there needs to be a complete revamp/recreation of a 2nd line center by Bo + a dominant 1st line (Lotto Line) for this team to be a true contender. It will be hard because we have so much money tied up in players like Loui.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

He’s a really good third liner capable of playing top 6 for short stretches.. gives us depth.. sucks he got injured on a cheap shot.

Last year was his first NHL season with any number of games played. IMHO this year he was building off last year with great success. He is one of the reasons Baer could be let go. His greatest strength is his positioning. I agree with you that right now he is top 9 with the ability to play top 6 if needed. The injury is very unfortunate as he could have broken out even more if he had been healthy.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So we're just about at 2 months out from Leivo's unfortunate injury (Dec 19th) and the prognosis was 2-3 months... hopefully we'll see him return to the lineup soon and pick up where he left off because he definitely provides positive depth for us, and he's one of the best at winning puck battles on the team.

15 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Not a lot he can do to prepare for his return. No leg work, cardio. Might be a bit  of a rough time for him to come back in play off shape. We could definitely benefit from  a healthy Levio  though.

One of the big disappointments of the season when he went down. I thought he was really starting to break out. Good puck possession player. Even if he was not in the long term plan his trade value was improving. Likely out for the season.   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 6:29 AM, Boudrias said:

One of the big disappointments of the season when he went down. I thought he was really starting to break out. Good puck possession player. Even if he was not in the long term plan his trade value was improving. Likely out for the season.   

He’s probably nearly healthy by now. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really liked Leivo's season until his knee injury.

Thought he provided a lot of different looks for the team, whether it was brief moments with Petey and Brock, with Bo and even on a checking line.  If you can ink a deal that is relatively cheap, he would give this team great depth in the bottom six.  I think he really found his game in Vancouver, hope he is retained, because he really seems to be a guy who enjoyed being a Canuck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Really liked Leivo's season until his knee injury.

Thought he provided a lot of different looks for the team, whether it was brief moments with Petey and Brock, with Bo and even on a checking line.  If you can ink a deal that is relatively cheap, he would give this team great depth in the bottom six.  I think he really found his game in Vancouver, hope he is retained, because he really seems to be a guy who enjoyed being a Canuck.

Largely agreed.

My biggest concern with re-signing Leivo would be roster space (particularly if we retain Toffoli, which I think and hope we do). Winger depth is NOT where we're lacking and if Ferland is healthy too, it's only more crowded.

Perhaps that allows us to make the Virtanen/Boeser for a D trade earlier than I envisioned but I dunno, I think we may just do what's right for the player and let him go on to a team with more space.

• Like 1

poor mans Toffoli replacement. If cap stays the same I can't see howe we can keep Markstrom, Toffoli both of who will for sure make over 5m each both might want 6m. Then you have Tanev. Hopefully we get a compliance buyout and make some trades to shed some cap. We are turning the corner yet we are stuck in cap hell