The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

I really hope he finds his calling here as Toronto never saw fit to give him much of a chance to prove himself on a regular basis.

If he is playing with a play making center or winger he appears to have a decent shot and might be able to pot his fair share of goals. I have not seen enough of him playing to have any idea if he is much of a play maker in his own right though.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Trent Cull on Josh Leivo:

"I think Josh Leivo just needed a chance. I'm a big Leivo fan -- he doesn't over-think things. He's an efficient guy with how he moves, I love his puck protection. He's got good hockey sense."

And what exactly did we give up to get Leivo?  Basically a bag of pucks, or a sack of rocks.  I guess TO was going to lose him to waivers, so got (at least) an AHL guy for him?

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what exactly did we give up to get Leivo?  Basically a bag of pucks, or a sack of rocks.  I guess TO was going to lose him to waivers, so got (at least) an AHL guy for him?

I'm thinking that JB was worried that LA would claim him off of waivers ahead of them thus the trade of Carcone.

• Upvote 1

This guy appears to be a tremendous addition and checks many boxes of what this team needed. 

I'm not sure he will be a long term piece here in the top 6 (highly unlikely) but a great placeholder in the interim. 

And acquired without taking anything away from the NHL roster. Well done pro scouts for identifying a realistic target and GMJB for getting it done!

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, smokes said:

He's providing a little more grit to Pettersson's finess so I can see him doing better,

That and he appears to be much better defensively than Leipsic plus he has the size / strength to be a net front presence. He may not stay on that line but what ever line he is on, as long as he is sound defensively; he would be an upgrade over Leipsic.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is certainly possible that GM's Kyle Dubas and Jim Benning have something else that they are working on and that this was just the first stage...... purely conjecture on my part though.

If there was a bigger deal, I'm sure that would have been executed on the day of the Leivo trade with Leivo/Carcone being pieces that were moved alongside others.

It does show that Benning is working the phones. Word is that he's very active on the phones. Trades are tough. This deal fell into the Canucks lap because 1) It was either trade him or waive him from TO's perspective and 2) The Canucks clearly wanted Leivo and were willing to make a move as opposed to seeing if he'd get to them on waivers (which he wouldn't because of LA who claimed Leipsic and Scherbak and probably would've claimed Leivo too).

I still think this is a good sign the Canucks and Leafs COULD make a deal near the TDL. We do have defensive pieces that the Leafs may covet (Gudbranson, Edler) so a deal isn''t an impossible thing to think about. Also, as a side note, I don't believe the Canucks will trade Tanev because they want him to play with Hughes next season and see if there's something there.

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well to be fair Alf, I really liked Carcone. He has a motor on him. If you want a comparable, think Brendan Gallagher in Montreal. Very similar type of player. But Carcone's problem is that he is too selfish and doesn't use his teammates nearly enough. In the AHL it works for him and he's putting up points, but I have major questions as to whether he could do it at the NHL level. At the end of the day he could pan out he's got pro game written all over him. But we wanted a guy with size as we already have enough smaller skilled guys in our prospect pool so he became redundant. Plus gotta love that Benning traded him while his trade value is at a high and got an NHL player out of him. The Marlies play the Comets enough to know what they have in Carcone but even if he pans out I don't think it hurts us in the long run. All the best Carcone! Leave er to Leivo is now in the house!

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

If there was a bigger deal, I'm sure that would have been executed on the day of the Leivo trade with Leivo/Carcone being pieces that were moved alongside others.

It does show that Benning is working the phones. Word is that he's very active on the phones. Trades are tough. This deal fell into the Canucks lap because 1) It was either trade him or waive him from TO's perspective and 2) The Canucks clearly wanted Leivo and were willing to make a move as opposed to seeing if he'd get to them on waivers (which he wouldn't because of LA who claimed Leipsic and Scherbak and probably would've claimed Leivo too).

I still think this is a good sign the Canucks and Leafs COULD make a deal near the TDL. We do have defensive pieces that the Leafs may covet (Gudbranson, Edler) so a deal isn''t an impossible thing to think about. Also, as a side note, I don't believe the Canucks will trade Tanev because they want him to play with Hughes next season and see if there's something there.

I think the original deal was Leafs wanted Leipsic to have cleared waivers for the Canucks, so they could have put him in minors when Nylander was signed, but LA claimed him and that Carcone was the 2nd option the Leafs had incase he was claimed

Maybe playing with Skilled forwards Leivo he will be like a Clarke Gillis player for us (Although he was a 4th overall pick)

Elton John updated version

Leivo, Leivo likes his money
He makes a lot they say
Spends his days counting
In a garage by the motorway

And he shall be Leivo
And he shall be a good man
And he shall be Leivo
In tradition with the family plan
And he shall be Leivo
And he shall be a good man
He shall be Leivo