The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Those Toronto goals aren't posted in the Canuck stats, I'm confused! The broadcast crew were talking about his 11 goal season, then I check the stats, he has 7.

Yeah, if you check Canucks.com, they'll only report his stats with the Canucks. Most other sites will report his stats on the entire season and often show the split between his stats with Vancouver and Toronto.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:14 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Really? Goldy's ceiling is WAY higher.

Yes, Goldy could be a top notch winger, who puts up 60 plus points.  But I think Leivo is a different type of player.  For his style of play, he’s been a big addto our team.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Goldobin's ceiling is Nylander-lite and he has shown no signs of coming close to that.

Leivo is the kind of 40 point workhorse you want come playoff time. 

Nylander on pace for 54GP, 6G 14A

Goldobin is 48GP 6G 18A

But still I think Nyalnder over JV would be a massive upgrade on old stone hands giveaway, shoot from anywhere at anything besides the net,  #6 OA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Goldobin's ceiling is Nylander-lite and he has shown no signs of coming close to that.

Leivo is the kind of 40 point workhorse you want come playoff time. 

nylander.PNG

goldobin.PNG

Edit: Goldy has a higher ppg than willie. I guess willie is a poor mans Goldobin lol.  ::D

Edited by Kanukfanatic

• 3 weeks later...

It's been evident since Leivo joined the Canucks that he's exactly the type of player that the Canucks need.  Leivo's continually impressed with his skills in puck retrieval and control, and his shot is very good as well.

This summer will be interesting as I'm curious how much Leivo will command as a RFA.  Keeping a guy like Leivo seems like it would be part of the solution for the Canucks in the long term rather than a chip to acquire another asset.  If Baertschi is out long term and if Pearson can regain his form, then a line of Pearson-Horvat-Leivo seems like it could be a solid line for the Canucks for quite some time.

In interested to see how consistent Leivo can finish the season. I'm wary of labeling him a top 6 guy, but in his stint so far, he's almost played to that level. Leipsic was a top six guy in his time last year with 9 points in 14 games, but fell off a fair bit this year with 5 points in 17 games. Leivo has 14 points in 32 games, which probably isn't quite 2nd-line level, but pro-rates to about 36 points which is adequate for a player swapping between 2nd and 3rd lines based on demand. If he finishes out the year as he's played for us so far or better, I'd really like us to re-sign him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It's been evident since Leivo joined the Canucks that he's exactly the type of player that the Canucks need.  Leivo's continually impressed with his skills in puck retrieval and control, and his shot is very good as well.

This summer will be interesting as I'm curious how much Leivo will command as a RFA.  Keeping a guy like Leivo seems like it would be part of the solution for the Canucks in the long term rather than a chip to acquire another asset.  If Baertschi is out long term and if Pearson can regain his form, then a line of Pearson-Horvat-Leivo seems like it could be a solid line for the Canucks for quite some time.

Leivo has been great for all the things you say.  He also probably understands from being in toronto how a good player can fall through the cracks and not be used.  He will for certain want to stay with Van and the feeling is mutual.   Body of work still small but he is looking like a great pick up for us.   My guess is some kind of show me more contact for him (in the interests of both sides) and something just under 1.5 million.   But of course there is still a lot of meaningful hockey left.  Regardless he is one of my favorite players for the reasons you mentioned - puts in his work in the dirty areas and is good at it.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

What about these lines?

Panarin Horvat Goldy

Pearson Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte                                See what Virtanen/Sutter may get you for defencemen or prospects, draft pick etc,

Maybe Tree decides to put in effort to stay and try with Panarin and Goldy

9 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What about these lines?

Panarin Horvat Goldy

Pearson Pettersson Boeser

Leivo Gaudette Eriksson

Roussel Beagle Motte                                See what Virtanen/Sutter may get you for defencemen or prospects, draft pick etc,

Maybe Tree decides to put in effort to stay and try with Panarin and Goldy

WAY rather swap Virtanen and Eriksson.

I know you're talking about trade return (which would certainly be better than Eriksson) but really Virtanen's isn't so high you'd get anything worth moving him for IMO.

I'm 50/50 on Panarin. Would LOVE his skill. Not sure I'd love his attitude or cap hit...

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

WAY rather swap Virtanen and Eriksson.

I know you're talking about trade return (which would certainly be better than Eriksson) but really Virtanen's isn't so high you'd get anything worth moving him for IMO.

I'm 50/50 on Panarin. Would LOVE his skill. Not sure I'd love his attitude or cap hit...

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to move, to get a quality dman  or pick

Maybe get a dman the equivalent of Virtanen would be nice though

You have to give up something for something though

Maybe some team is the opposite and could use a forward, as they have 2 many dmen)

I would like to see our youths talent not wasted, with no help from the backend

It is looking like our goaltending has kicked it up a notch

At least we aren't Oilers, with McD and Leons talent being wasted, with no help arriving soon

The reason I though Panarin, is that he is a UFA could create chemistry with Goldy and Tree

Maybe like Washington (Russians play better together and happier)

Maybe picking up 1 UFA makes us have 3 good players ?_

Edited by ba;;isticsports

5 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot to move, to get a quality dman  or pick

Maybe get a dman the equivalent of Virtanen would be nice though

You have to give up something for something though

Maybe some team is the opposite and could use a forward, as they have 2 many dmen)

I would like to see our youths talent not wasted, with no help from the backend

It is looking like our goaltending has kicked it up a notch

At least we aren't Oilers, with McD and Leons talent being wasted, with no help arriving soon

I'm less worried about who's getting better trade returns than I am with just building a better team.

Pettersson would get you a FANTASTIC trade return. NO way we're moving him :P

We will have some other pieces. Sutter, Tanev, possibly Hutton, Granlund... We're likely getting a good prospect this draft and can sign some UFA's as well. It's not like we HAVE to give up Virtanen.

The D will get sorted elsewhere IMO. We have Hughes coming, Juolevi likely to follow during the season. I'd be shocked if we don't target one of Karlsson/Myers as UFA's and we have a bunch of solid prospects in Sautner, Briesbois, Rathbone, Woo etc as well as a possibly returning Tryamkin in another year. Not so worried I desperately sell short on Virtanen.

• Upvote 1

Leivo was probably our best forward against the Coilers. He was the one that cut through the Midzone and found open ice with his powerful skating and that is exactly what is needed as a third liner with EP40 and Brock. I really enjoyed seeing them together again. 

3 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

Leivo was probably our best forward against the Coilers. He was the one that cut through the Midzone and found open ice with his powerful skating and that is exactly what is needed as a third liner with EP40 and Brock. I really enjoyed seeing them together again. 

Leivo is only on that line because he's the best option available to the Canucks. 

Let's not pretend that he's anything more than a place holder. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

Leivo is only on that line because he's the best option available to the Canucks. 

Let's not pretend that he's anything more than a place holder. 

Not to suggest he stays on the line, or doesn't

but

That is what was thought of Burrows with the Sedins as well initially

Sometimes it just works

• Cheers 1

On February 10, 2019 at 3:53 PM, Alflives said:

Yes, Goldy could be a top notch winger, who puts up 60 plus points.  But I think Leivo is a different type of player.  For his style of play, he’s been a big addto our team.  

Leivo was a good trade by Benning.. Leivo has skill and grit, look at pass to Boser last night against NYR. 

Leivo 6'2, 25, 195 gritty and has skill 19-22 goal scorer., has good speed, good shot and gets in on fore check...need to keep Leivo..Need to sign this summer

3yrs x 2.4 million per season

Boser 6.7 -- 7.2 million x 6 years

Excited to see MacEwen 6'3, 215 full time next year on 3rd and 4th line

Players to move Pearson or Spooner same style..

Sutter 30 must trade this summer

Pouliot -- walk

Schaller trade - 6th rounder

Goldy trade for young D man similar age if you can't sign for decent contract....Show me more contract 2 yrs  x  1.6 million per season?

Erickson must go-- very average, we have younger players better- (example Motte way more speed)

Edited by wildcam