The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

-SN-

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Other than the goal, did Virtanen have a single noticeable moment the other night?  Leivo played 16 minutes, Virtanen played 9.  Green relies more on Leivo because he creates chances every game and can actually drive play.  Problem with Leivo is he is a bit of a meathead sometimes.  Throws the puck to nowhere.  Maybe Green is giving Leivo more ice time as a last chance type of thing but his production isn't horrible and he does bring size.  I would like to see Baertschi play though

Good thing you didn't use the word "Invisible"  or the Jake Bromancers will be calling you out 5th:lol:

Good Points on Leivo, I like what he brings, yes makes some mistakes along the way. I would think management sees him as a better fit bottom 6, size, durability down the stretch...

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2019 at 10:55 AM, The 5th Line said:

Other than the goal, did Virtanen have a single noticeable moment the other night?  Leivo played 16 minutes, Virtanen played 9.  Green relies more on Leivo because he creates chances every game and can actually drive play.  Problem with Leivo is he is a bit of a meathead sometimes.  Throws the puck to nowhere.  Maybe Green is giving Leivo more ice time as a last chance type of thing but his production isn't horrible and he does bring size.  I would like to see Baertschi play though

How much time did Leivo get on the PP2? I would actually like to see Leivo taken off the PP2 and Jake placed in Ovies spot and see if he can blast a few in there.

Josh Leivo with moves into 224 with his set up to Quinn Hughes tonight.  Very Lonny Bohonosian type numbers.

223.  Lonny Bohonos RW 70 13 13 26
224.  Josh Leivo LW 64 12 14 26
225.  Dale Weise RW 152 10 16 26
226.  Claire Alexander D 32 8 18 26
227.  Michael Del Zotto D 105 7 19 26
227.  Doug Wickenheiser C 80 7 19 26

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

14 in 28. He's been a solid secondary scorer for us. 

One thing I always notice when he's on the ice - his one on one puck battle skills are INSANE. He's often the second guy in there and comes out with the pick just by outmaneuvering the opposing player. Also his stick skills are great. I think he's a great example for some of our younger players and it makes sense why he was playing a lot with Petey and Boeser last season. His job was just to get them the puck and demonstrate how to win these board battles.

This year with Miller on the first line, they've taken their forecheck down low to the next level and I think they definitely have benefited from their previous time with Leivo.

Many on here were benching Leivo so Baer could play. Just as you pointed out his board work I always admire his positioning. He reads the play well and anticipates well. If Leivo keeps it up and Pearson continues his scoring it bodes well for the Canucks come spring.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

There seems to be a few posters on here who rate this player far less than his actual worth.  

Josh is a player who puts out 100% on a regular basis,  but his individual playmaking benefits far more when this team is healthy.  

He is a valuable complimentary player, not a lone standout..  a type of player that can create chemistry in a healthy line up.. and make it win.

Tyler Motte is another,  and I look forward to his return.  

When this team is fully healthy, it’s players like Leivo, Motte, Beagle, Rousell, and Schaller that keep the prowess of this team hot and hard to handle.

Totally agree with this. I can understand why there's criticism when Leivo is on the PP or on the first line with Horvat, but he's an elite 3rd liner when it comes to defensive play and board work and he's also a terrific sniper when he gets the chance. When he's on the third line he's a big part of our team. It's not his fault that we still lack one or two skilled top 6 forwards.

• Cheers 2

Yeah, I was critical of Green's deployment of Leivo early on, but the dude is a player. Everything you want out of a 3rd line guy. He can skate, shoot, he's feisty as hell, and he can play in the top 6 and be effective when he needs to be. 

The Laughs were fools to give up on him. Exactly the type of player they could have used to fill out their top heavy lineup. Oh well, their loss is our gain. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yeah, I was critical of Green's deployment of Leivo early on, but the dude is a player. Everything you want out of a 3rd line guy. He can skate, shoot, he's feisty as hell, and he can play in the top 6 and be effective when he needs to be. 

The Laughs were fools to give up on him. Exactly the type of player they could have used to fill out their top heavy lineup. Oh well, their loss is our gain. 

I have liked his positioning all fall. He was fighting the puck but all else was there. What surprised me a bit was how well he handles the puck. Many wanted to give his TOI to Baer but I don’t see Baer as a playoff player but Leivo could be. Confidence is growing so lookout.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Playing in his 2nd full NHL season, despite being 26 years old, might be a late bloomer.

Certainly think if he can be consistent, 30-35 points is something he could reach.  I think he is probably the team's best board play player, knows how to protect the puck so well, and is just as good at retrieving it.

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Maybe it is just me but I am getting sick of his lazy plays.

That offside that had the goal called back while he was facing the play. Going too deep, past the goal line as Horvat passed across. 

He seems to show up to play once or twice a month

Leivo is just a place holder until Podkolzin can leave the KHL.