The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Expansion Draft - Who do the Canucks protect?

Rate this topic

lukchin

Didn't see one started yet...what's your prediction for the Canucks protected list?

Here's my prediction:

Protect Forwards (7):

1. Bo Horvat

2. Loui Eriksson (Because we have to NTC)

3. Jake Virtanen

4. Elias Pettersson

5. Brock Boeser

6. Adam Gaudette

7. Nikolay Goldobin

*We don't have to protect Jack Hughes because he'll be 2nd year pro still.

Protect D-men (3):

1. Quinn Hughes (if he comes in early this year in March 2019)

2. Olli Juolevi (Assuming he plays this year or next)

3. Ben Hutton (Assuming he extends)

Protect Goalie (1):

1. Thatcher Demko (Assuming he starts playing 2019/20)

Expose:

Antoine Roussel

Markus Granlund (Assuming he extends)

Tim Schaller

Tyler Motte

Josh Leivo

Erik Gudbranson

Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot

Alex Biega

Jacob Markstrom (Assuming he extends)

*Assuming Tanev and Edler are gone.

Here's the rules:

Expansion Draft

Seattle will follow the same rules for the 2021 Expansion Draft as Vegas did in 2017:

Regulations Relating to Seattle Expansion Franchise

* The Seattle franchise must select one player from each presently existing club – all except Vegas – for a total of 30 players (not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules).

* The Seattle franchise must select the following number of players at each position: 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

* The Seattle franchise must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2021‑22 season.

* The Seattle franchise must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season’s upper limit for the salary cap.

* The Seattle franchise may not buy out any of the players selected in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Protected Lists

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing “No Movement” clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club’s applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club’s applicable protection limits).

Player Exposure Requirements

* All clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

ii) Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club’s protected list.

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a club’s player exposure requirements, unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection by the League.

Edited by lukchin
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Horvat - Pettersson, - Boeser,  Gaudette - Virtanen +2

Juolevi +2

Demko

Hughes and Dipietro won't need them yet as they will have 2 or less years pro.

Also, Eriksson doesn't have to be protected -- only a limited no-trade at that point.

Edited by dm_ranger
spelling
  • Upvote 1

Let's just hope they don't have the Cinderella year that Vegas had last year. It would be very annoying to have a better (playoff) team a few hours away, when we've been trying to win the Cup for the last 48 years. 

Protected:

Horvat

Boeser

Pettersson

Virtanen

Gaudette

Goldobin

Sutter

Tanev

Hutton

Stecher

do we have to protect a goalie? lol  (Nilsson then)

Safe:

Q. Hughes

Juolevi

Dahlen

Lind

Demko

2019 Draft Picks

2020 Draft Picks

2021 Draft Picks

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's just hope they don't have the Cinderella year that Vegas had last year. It would be very annoying to have a better (playoff) team a few hours away, when we've been trying to win the Cup for the last 48 years. 

Protected:

Horvat

Boeser

Pettersson

Virtanen

Gaudette

Goldobin

Sutter

Tanev

Hutton

Stecher

do we have to protect a goalie? lol  (Nilsson then)

Safe:

Q. Hughes

Juolevi

Dahlen

Lind

Demko

2019 Draft Picks

2020 Draft Picks

2021 Draft Picks

No, they are not safe. The draft is happening in 2021.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dm_ranger said:

Before the 2021 season, which means anyone not on a professional contract now will be safe.  Hughes is safe the other 4 are not.

I think the big question for me will be Hughes. If he signs and plays this year (like we did for gaudette and Brock) will we need to protect him? I think so....

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd protect Gudbranson over Stecher.

Gudbranson will be a UFA for the expansion draft.  Same for Baertschi and Sutter.   Stecher potentially too unless they buy UFA years on his next contract.

Edited by mll

5 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

strong reason not to sign him at the end of this season then.  That is a huge difference.

If Hughes wants to turn pro at the end of this season and burn a year off his ELC do you really want to pee off your prize prospect and say no? I don't think so.....

2 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

No, they are not safe. The draft is happening in 2021.

I thought the player had to play at least 2 NHL seasons to be eligible?

So, if Hughes, Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen make the team out of camp next year (2019), they will have played two full seasons by the fall of 2021, so I guess they would need to be protected?

In that case, trade Tanev at the 2019 TDL for a Draft pick. Expose Stecher in the expansion draft.

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Virtanen

Gaudette

Dahlen or Sutter (depending when Dahlen starts)

2019 1st Round Pick

Hughes

Juolevi

Hutton

Demko   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Gudbranson will be a UFA for the expansion draft.  Same for Baertschi and Sutter.   Stecher potentially too unless they buy UFA years on his next contract.

I'm curious if we can have handshake agreements to sign these guys after the expansion draft to allow us more space to protect players. They will have an early window to sign UFAs, but it comes down to if the player wants to even sign there.