The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle Expansion Draft - Who do the Canucks protect?

Rate this topic

lukchin

LE gets left unprotected for sure. The rest will all depend on who they trade and what the return is. They should be looking for draft picks. They should start preparing at this years TD.

One thing that should improve for Vancouver is their travel schedule. We are as many as 5 games ahead of some teams right now. January has only 9 games and then February and March look brutal. A total of seven back to backs 4 in February.  We will now have 3 road games that can be done by bus.   

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Do we have to protect NTC's?

Or just NMC's. That's my understanding. NMC's meaning no buy outs, no demotions. Full control that you can stay on our main squad.

Eriiksson I believe has already had his NMC fall off. This year and next he has a full NTC I also believe? Which means no trade unless he agrees. Then it drops to a 15 team no trade list for the last two years of his pact. And coinciding with expansion.

Louis NMC lined up the Sedins NMC.  He dose not need to be Protected.

• Thanks 2

On 12/4/2018 at 2:08 PM, Rick Blight said:

If Hughes wants to turn pro at the end of this season and burn a year off his ELC do you really want to pee off your prize prospect and say no? I don't think so.....

Rumour has it that QH can't sleep at nights. - he is dreaming of those outlet passes to Petey, on to BB and into the net for ROTY 2019-20. Whenever he wants to sign is fine by me !!

• Cheers 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:58 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Do we have to protect NTC's?

Or just NMC's. That's my understanding. NMC's meaning no buy outs, no demotions. Full control that you can stay on our main squad.

Eriiksson I believe has already had his NMC fall off. This year and next he has a full NTC I also believe? Which means no trade unless he agrees. Then it drops to a 15 team no trade list for the last two years of his pact. And coinciding with expansion.

So if Seattle is one of his 15 " no trade" teams, we have to protect him? (Or wasn't his agent smart enough to equate trade with expansion move, in his contract?)

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Would Boeser and EP even need to take up a protected spot considering if this happened in two years since they would only be on their third and fourth year?

Only first and second year pros are exempt so yes we will have to protect them.  Including this season there are three full seasons of hockey before the draft.  That means anyone who’s starting their career this year will have to be protected if we want to guarantee they stay on the team.  Next year no.  So Brock, Bo and Pettersson definitely, maybe Hughes if he plays later this season too.  But Demko, Dahlen and the bulk of our other prospects won’t be ready yet which is good news.

At his point we don’t have to worry about this expansion much, we will likely lose a guy like Goldobin or maybe even Beagle...

21 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I think this announcement of the expansion date just guaranteed the league will act first to insure Seattle starts on time with a number of years without interruption. IMO the league presses really hard for the new CBA and cuts the season short or down right off the bat when a lot of FA's are still looking for work.

Next September will tell, I am sure the NHL will elect to end the CBA, the side of the negotiations that moves first usually has an advantage at least in perception. They will be side negotiating from a position of strength.  

Seatle ownership is spending 2 billion in expansion fees, an arena renovation (why not tear it down and start from scratch it would have been cheaper?), parking lots, three sheets of ice for a practice facility etc..all privately financed.  That’s a lot of dough, the league won’t want any delays because of a labour dispute and I believe will wish to extend the same deal with some alterations to allow owners a chance to purge some bad deals (just like last time, another two or three buy-outs permitted).  I think the NHLPA has more greviances than the NHL, under the cap the league has flourished and solidified profits for all ownership (a very elite and exclusive partnership under the cap they are all together and revenues shared).    The players that can play well are getting richer but the bulk is getting screwed..

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Only first and second year pros are exempt so yes we will have to protect them.  Including this season there are three full seasons of hockey before the draft.  That means anyone who’s starting their career this year will have to be protected if we want to guarantee they stay on the team.  Next year no.  So Brock, Bo and Pettersson definitely, maybe Hughes if he plays later this season too.  But Demko, Dahlen and the bulk of our other prospects won’t be ready yet which is good news.

At his point we don’t have to worry about this expansion much, we will likely lose a guy like Goldobin or maybe even Beagle...

We would have to protect Demko and Dahlen as their AHL years count towards number years pro.

6 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I know everybody is hot for QH, but I hope he plays two more years in the NCAA before signing. It will allow him to grow and get bigger and stronger. That NCAA seasoning certainly didn't hurt Brock. That would also allow the team to protect another D.

Brock only played 2 years there, not 3 like you suggest Hughes does. I think he is pretty close to his playing weight already as well. With that said I am fine with him sticking with the NCAA another year if he feels it's best for his development. Sounds like he was pretty close to signing this past season though. So I don't think he hangs there another year let alone 2 more. But hey, I know nothing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

So if Seattle is one of his 15 " no trade" teams, we have to protect him? (Or wasn't his agent smart enough to equate trade with expansion move, in his contract?)

Only NMC have to be protected and any type of NTC can be made available for the expansion draft. The new CBA could probably change that if it is a sticking point for either side.

Please correct me but NTC's are not excempt from the expansion drafts, only NMC's.  Eriksson has a limited NTC in the 3rd and 4th year of his deal.  The NMC expired after year 2.  

Loui won't be protected, but Seattle won't take him unless we offer up something big, like a 1st.  

7 forwards.  

Horvat

Petterson

Boeser

Virtannen 

Gaudette 

Baer

Dahlen or Goldy

D men

Hughes

Joulevi

Gudbranson

Goalies 

Demko

Dahlin and Goldy will have to battle for the last spot unless Baer fails to make a come back.  

Sutter and Granlund are replaceable.  

For the rest of the forwards, all replaceable too.  

D men... I don't want to see Guddy pounding our guys.  We need his physical play.  Hutton isn't great and Hughes and OJ are the future.  

We can only lose on player, I don't want that guy to be Gudbranson.  

Goalie... no one needs to figure this out.  

7 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I know everybody is hot for QH, but I hope he plays two more years in the NCAA before signing. It will allow him to grow and get bigger and stronger. That NCAA seasoning certainly didn't hurt Brock. That would also allow the team to protect another D.

Two more years after this year would mean Hughes has played 4 full seasons in the NCAA. On August 15th 2021, he is an UFA and can sign anywhere he wants to. The advantage of owning a NCAA player’s rights is to sign him before his 4th year, give him a contract and signing bonuses a year or two earlier to sweeten the deal so he will sign with your team. 

It was rumoured that Hughes already couldn’t wait to turn pro this season, if we choose not to sign him until 2 years later, you risk angering your premium prospect and he could go anywhere he wants. For example, he could just bolt and sign on the same team that his brother Jack Hughes gets drafted to and we will be screwed.

I will say just sign him at the end of the year and make sure he is our guy. It would mean we have to use a protection slot on him in the Seattle Expansion but it also reflects that as an organization, we recognize Hughes as a big part of our future.

27 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Two more years after this year would mean Hughes has played 4 full seasons in the NCAA. On August 15th 2021, he is an UFA and can sign anywhere he wants to. The advantage of owning a NCAA player’s rights is to sign him before his 4th year, give him a contract and signing bonuses a year or two earlier to sweeten the deal so he will sign with your team. 

It was rumoured that Hughes already couldn’t wait to turn pro this season, if we choose not to sign him until 2 years later, you risk angering your premium prospect and he could go anywhere he wants. For example, he could just bolt and sign on the same team that his brother Jack Hughes gets drafted to and we will be screwed.

I will say just sign him at the end of the year and make sure he is our guy. It would mean we have to use a protection slot on him in the Seattle Expansion but it also reflects that as an organization, we recognize Hughes as a big part of our future.

Agree with all of this with the exception of when Quinn would become a free agent in the unlikelihood that he chose to take that route. Because he was drafted after already playing one season in the NCAA he would have to wait one season after his senior year before becoming a free agent.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

52 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

7 forwards.  

Horvat

Petterson

Boeser

Virtannen 

Gaudette 

Baer

Dahlen or Goldy

D men

Hughes

Joulevi

Gudbranson

Goalies 

Demko

Dahlin and Goldy will have to battle for the last spot unless Baer fails to make a come back.  

Sutter and Granlund are replaceable.  

For the rest of the forwards, all replaceable too.  

D men... I don't want to see Guddy pounding our guys.  We need his physical play.  Hutton isn't great and Hughes and OJ are the future.  

We can only lose on player, I don't want that guy to be Gudbranson.  

Goalie... no one needs to figure this out.  

Also under consideration for forwards, I would add Lind, Leivo, Jasek and Gadjovich. I would also consider protecting Brisebois, depending on his development, as opposed to Gudbranson.

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Please correct me but NTC's are not excempt from the expansion drafts, only NMC's.  Eriksson has a limited NTC in the 3rd and 4th year of his deal.  The NMC expired after year 2.  

Loui won't be protected, but Seattle won't take him unless we offer up something big, like a 1st.  

I think, hope anyway, that teams learned from how badly Vegas scalded some teams.  

Anaheim lost a good player and paid a fee as to who it might be.  They hurt their depth. Would have been better just letting them select one. Minny ''paid'' up, I cant recall what. A first? Someone can tell me. And still gave out Alex Tuch. He's a point a game 225 lb PF FFS. They would have been better letting them take Spurgeon?

Florida got bent worst. Somehow gave them both their top line wings in Marschessault & Reilly Smith. 

7 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

No way this fan base would survive Hughes not being signed ASAP.

If he wants to turn pro, go for it.  The guy still has to play and if he isn't ready, Utica is right there.