The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks loan Sam Gagner to Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Gagner appeared in seven games for the Canucks since being recalled on November 18th, he registered one goal and two assists in that time. If Gagner had appeared in three more games with the Canucks, he would’ve recovered waivers to head back to the AHL, furthermore, assuming that he was assigned after 2 pm (given the time of the tweet), Gagner had been on the Canucks roster for 17 days and thus had 13 more days available before requiring waivers by the day count.

There is some benefit to sending him down now, to avoid waiver exemption expiring, as an acquiring team would be able to directly send him to their AHL team before recalling him. With that being said, that would require a deal to be made and it’s hard to envision that happening now with the cap hit still remaining.

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/12/04/canucks-loan-sam-gagner-to-toronto-marlies/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

uh, the canucks would do naked cartwheels if he was claimed on waivers.  

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

with the cap going up and taking hortons 5.3 mil off the books that's basically handing the cup to them next year lol    that contract must be worth back to back 1st from a top team considering whats left in that contract.

Nathan Horton is on IR and at the moment Toronto does not need to use it to stay under the Cap. Even with Marner and Mathews getting big raises next year Toronto could apply his IR status to the cap at that time. 

the last time gagner looked effective as a canuck was with vanek.  he plays a standard safe veteran punch the clock game where he won't badly hurt you or give you much specific cause for criticism but he takes no chances and is mostly ineffective.  he has almost no other gear.  he does not sacrifice the body or even enter traffic if he can help it.  he can't help you make a push, and he can't help you make the extra play to defend against a push.  he's not very good on the pp but he can fill in and look the part.   he's ok at even strength in the sense he won't make stupid mistakes and he will still score opportunistic points, but he can't make that happen and he vanishes when the going gets tough.

basically he's the definition of a past his prime top 6 complimentary guy who now can't break the top 6 and functions below replacement level in a defensive role because he is not suited temperamentally to that game.  you might see him come to life in a playoff run on a good team, especially if he gets to fill in for injury, but he's an anchor on a bad team.

1 hour ago, DJSkingz said:

Not quite sure what is going on with management and the strange decisions lately. Utica needs help but it doesn't seem like Canucks brass care.

Oh well, this season never really mattered. Here's to another high draft pick!

There is a veteran rule that would mean Utica would have too many veterans and thus would have to bench Gagner anyways.

22 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

ya but they only have 2 legit d men signed through next year and kapanen is in the same boat as marner.   they are in pretty tight, 

I'm not disagreeing on them being tight against the cap but all of Horton's contract can be applied for IR relief so it is really not much of a factor as far as the cap goes. I do have a feeling  though, that someone of substantial interest will be traded over the summer next year to stay competitive and to be in compliance with the cap rules.

54 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

uh, the canucks would do naked cartwheels if he was claimed on waivers.  

yeah, a signature canucksmarmy whiff if they believe the Canucks are doing this to avoid exposing him to waivers..... the Canucks are not 'concerned' about 'losing' Gagner on waivers - not in the least.

It's simply the obvious consequence of Beagle getting healthy and Leivo filling Leipsic's roster spot.

Gagner did nothing to earn a longer look here.

9 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm not disagreeing on them being tight against the cap but all of Horton's contract can be applied for IR relief so it is really not much of a factor as far as the cap goes. I do have a feeling  though, that someone of substantial interest will be traded over the summer next year to stay competitive and to be in compliance with the cap rules.

I don't necessarily agree with you here.  As I understand it - and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here - but Horton can't be placed on long term I.R. until the season starts - so that actually can have an impact on their ability to use that cap hit and can have a limiting effect on their offseason deals.  I believe they have to be compliant, with his cap included, before they can put him on IR and use that cap.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

And this is why we sent him back down now.  Asset management.  Don't be surprised if he is gets traded to the leafs at some point.

Yep.  I can see them taking Gags at the TD.  Cap doesn't count and he'd be depth on their playoff run.  Probably not much in return, but losing his cap hit helps for next season.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't necessarily agree with you here.  As I understand it - and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here - but Horton can't be placed on long term I.R. until the season starts - so that actually can have an impact on their ability to use that cap hit and can have a limiting effect on their offseason deals.  I believe they have to be compliant, with his cap included, before they can put him on IR and use that cap.

Bettman will always help his pals in TO when they are in need.  You know...just raise the salary cap!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-projects-83m-salary-cap-2019-20-season/

Timing wise it does seem like it could have been part of the deal for Leivo. Canucks keep him on ice with the Marlies and Toronto gets first right of refusal of they need forward depth. Canucks did get a great deal on that trade so certainly possible and it would be a free/cheap asset for Toronto to call upon if they needed it. 

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Yep.  I can see them taking Gags at the TD.  Cap doesn't count and he'd be depth on their playoff run.  Probably not much in return, but losing his cap hit helps for next season.

leafs will not take on his cap hit for next year.  before they signed nylander and if gagner had blown the doors off with the marlies that was imaginable.  i cannot see it now barring a major injury.   

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

Timing wise it does seem like it could have been part of the deal for Leivo. Canucks keep him on ice with the Marlies and Toronto gets first right of refusal of they need forward depth. Canucks did get a great deal on that trade so certainly possible and it would be a free/cheap asset for Toronto to call upon if they needed it. 

ooh, i like conspiracy theories and that one is awesome.  

it could be part of a consolidated conspiracy theory that we lost leipsic on waivers trying to get him cleared so leafs would take him for leivo, then we gave them carcone plus we promised to give them gagner back for the marlies.

so three players for leivo!

1 minute ago, krutovsdonut said:

ooh, i like conspiracy theories and that one is awesome.  

it could be part of a consolidated conspiracy theory that we lost leipsic on waivers trying to get him cleared so leafs would take him for leivo, then we gave them carcone plus we promised to give them gagner back for the marlies.

so three players for leivo!

Well I was wearing my tinfoil hat when I thunk it up!

1 hour ago, xereau said:

And this is why we sent him back down now.  Asset management.  Don't be surprised if he is gets traded to the leafs at some point.

Gagner could not and still can't make this roster.

This is not an 'asset management' decision - this team would not care if Gagner were claimed - and moreover, are probably not under the illusion that he has trade value.

I will be surpised - quite surprised - if he were traded to the Leafs.   The problem with that idea is that he has another year of term remaining beyond this year - when the Leafs have to re-up Matthews, Marner, Kapanen and Johnsson - not to mention trying to find some cap space to improve their blueline.

Leivo - who was likely the guy that was to be waived (or perhaps Gauthier or Ennis) to make room for Nylander - came in here and pushed Gagner out of a spot - in a heavily depleted Canucks lineup where Gagner was literally 18/19 on the depth chart.   Take your pick between him and Boucher, but the team recalled virtually every NHL ready body and Gagner's return to the AHL is not surprising in the least - he performed poorly.

Not sure why people believe the Leafs are going to want or need Gagner.  It makes for fun, unrealistic proposals, but don't hold your breath.

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

So the right move wouldn't be to send Gaudette down to grow with our young guys and help the centre situaton?  Makes more sense to give an asset away to another club?

Sorry - I can't make sense of this.  Are you suggesting Gagner was going to 'help with the center situation'?

Archived