The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks loan Sam Gagner to Toronto Marlies

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Just another UFA failure on Benning's part.  Eriksson is far worse, but the Gagner's signing is a baddy.  What's that?  9.5m for 5 goals so far this year?  Wonder how the owner is liking it...

Maybe so Higgy, but who cares. Money is not the a concern just now. 

I’m sure JB would like to rewind the clock on that one, but thats it... owners? They would have have preferred he did better, but you can’t win them all. 

45 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I’m sure JB would like to rewind the clock on that one, but thats it... owners? They would have have preferred he did better, but you can’t win them all. 

It might be a concern if they want to acquire a high scoring winger or top dman in the next couple of years.  If the wants to go after a Karlsson, Panarin, Deuchene, or Skinner, that wasted UFA money would come in handy.  Not saying I think they should, but the management may decide to try and attempt to quicken the rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It might be a concern if they want to acquire a high scoring winger or top dman in the next couple of years.  If the wants to go after a Karlsson, Panarin, Deuchene, or Skinner, that wasted UFA money would come in handy.  Not saying I think they should, but the management may decide to try and attempt to quicken the rebuild. 

Get what your saying, and knowing how the story goes, in a perfect world Gagner had never been signed.

I know, but as our own youngsters starts to need proper payment Gagne and Schaller will come off the books.  

Think the money spent on aforementioned needs to be kept for the younger ones?

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

After next season loui will only be owed 5 million over 2 seasons and submits a 15 team no trade list. At that point it shouldn't be hard at all to dump his contract.

As far as the UFA market this summer the canucks have 34.6 million dollars in cap space with only Boeser as a major re up (possibly Edler). Cap wise we are just fine.

20 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Get what your saying, and knowing how the story goes, in a perfect world Gagner had never been signed.

I know, but as our own youngsters starts to need proper payment Gagne and Schaller will come off the books.  

Think the money spent on aforementioned needs to be kept for the younger ones?

I think so, but we have seen management try to hasten the rebuild in the past, so who knows?  In the end, it will be down to Aquilini who will decide the fate of the team and it's management going forward.  He may not envision such a long rebuild and that Eriksson contract would be a sore point.

20 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Very disappointed in canucks management this past few days. I don’t think on ice play matters. 

Schaller? Gaudette? 

I just can’t believe it, Gagner’s powerplay presence? Exactly what had Schaller or Gaudette done to derserve spots over Gagner or Leipsic ? 

I see your sarcasm.

It trumps two courses of cynicism...

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

you can't win them all?

which one did he win?

GMs are like face off men, if you don't win 50% you are skating on thin ice

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

you can't win them all?

which one did he win?

GMs are like face off men, if you don't win 50% you are skating on thin ice

We’re still talking signing yes?

I’d say of the top of my head Vanek, Miller, Beagle maybe Roussel. 

Disagree on that?

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

We’re still talking signing yes?

I’d say of the top of my head Vanek, Miller, Beagle maybe Roussel. 

Disagree on that?

I'll give you the first 3, and a .5 on Vbata because he was good for 1/2 the time he was here. I think Roussel will prove to be over the hill before his time is up.

You might want Nilsson also but Miller still looks like the better goalie and he let him slip away.

What about Weber, MDZ, Bartkowski, Schaller, Loui, Gags?

You might get to 50% if you claim Roussel and Nilsson

8 hours ago, lmm said:

I'll give you the first 3, and a .5 on Vbata because he was good for 1/2 the time he was here. I think Roussel will prove to be over the hill before his time is up.

You might want Nilsson also but Miller still looks like the better goalie and he let him slip away.

What about Weber, MDZ, Bartkowski, Schaller, Loui, Gags?

You might get to 50% if you claim Roussel and Nilsson

Yes true. 

However bar Loui, which will be a note on the flip side of JBs cross once he dies, the rest are peanuts contracts. 

He’s shaken the bag of FA’s and seen, at what cost, he, as a bottom feeder can, sign some veteran players to support the the youngsters. 

Weber was signed to run the PP just like Larsen was, MDZ and Bartkowski as all round D men (3-6) but yes they’ve all been poor here. Don’t know how MDZ and Bartkowski were at Islanders and Bruins before, but they haven’t been good here. 

Larsen was the best player in KHL, so worth taking a gamble on and Weber is still playing as well I think ( both cheap contracts)

By the sound of Bruins fans Schaller was a different player at Bruins. Not the powder puff that has shown up here. Gags was another one a lot of fans questioned. 

I think, when you are in our stage at the rebuild, you have to take, whats on offer, pay over the odds for as short contracts as you can. 

In two years time I see us bringing in far better FA’s and hopefully they don’t do a Loui...

So while there has been a lot of dross as well, I won’t hold it against JB. 

PS. Think Miller wanted away to be with his wife down the coast. 

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yes true. 

However bar Loui, which will be a note on the flip side of JBs cross once he dies, the rest are peanuts contracts. 

He’s shaken the bag of FA’s and seen, at what cost, he, as a bottom feeder can, sign some veteran players to support the the youngsters. 

Weber was signed to run the PP just like Larsen was, MDZ and Bartkowski as all round D men (3-6) but yes they’ve all been poor here. Don’t know how MDZ and Bartkowski were at Islanders and Bruins before, but they haven’t been good here. 

Larsen was the best player in KHL, so worth taking a gamble on and Weber is still playing as well I think ( both cheap contracts)

By the sound of Bruins fans Schaller was a different player at Bruins. Not the powder puff that has shown up here. Gags was another one a lot of fans questioned. 

I think, when you are in our stage at the rebuild, you have to take, whats on offer, pay over the odds for as short contracts as you can. 

In two years time I see us bringing in far better FA’s and hopefully they don’t do a Loui...

So while there has been a lot of dross as well, I won’t hold it against JB. 

PS. Think Miller wanted away to be with his wife down the coast. 

I agree with most of that, however I think Miller would have stayed with a NTC and a starting position. Jim wanted to hand the goalie duties over to Markstrom, who is still not a starter.

In some ways having Marky as starter is similar to trying to sign players for less than Loui. If you are a goalie you have to think you are less than Marky or why sign here? Every one in the league knows Jim let the better goalie walk.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Nilsson at seasons end.

The other thing I seem to be harping on is culture change. I don't see it happening with any of Jim's signings

Archived