The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled from radio

Dazzle

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

its also interestingly where the far right and far left meet, both like to control things too much.

When someone goes to such an extreme, they lose the ability to be objective, and need to hear their beliefs and ideals repeated back to them tenfold. It's a social disease.

I vote we start a counter movement that the song should be played more as a celebration of her sexual empowerment and the songs clear and positive message that she shouldn't be subject to the negative opinions of others about her sexual choices.

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I vote we start a counter movement that the song should be played more as a celebration of her sexual empowerment and the songs clear and positive message that she shouldn't be subject to the negative opinions of others about her sexual choices.

my wife downloaded it today in protest :lol: she hates this kind of thing, feels it works against people who are really trying to make a difference. 

11 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Good move. Gotta start somewhere - Rape culture needs to end.

LOL, bad people doing depraved and deplorable things like raping (anyone it could be female on male rape, though less common, at least in terms of reporting metrics), is not the same thing as, as a society accepting and perpetuating rape (which is what "rape culture" insinuates).

As a society, we view the act as depraved, vile and highly illegal, and we have laws around that (which admittedly could be better, but our current justice system is predicated on burden of proof). How people perceive it is a separate issue and is social, not cultural.

If someone is so absolutely triggered by hearing "baby it's cold outside" on the radio, a song let me remind people has been around since 1959, that maybe, just maybe those individuals should seek help to deal with those feelings when being triggered. This is just a byproduct of a social movement crossing the line and not keeping themselves in check, losing focus on bigger issues such as improving the environment such that people who have been victims of rape feel more empowered to actually report the things that have been done to them.

Removing the things that trigger people from our culture instead of addressing the issues and leaving artistic freedom alone is the complete wrong approach.

The NPC meme is real.

35 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

LOL, bad people doing depraved and deplorable things like raping (anyone it could be female on male rape, though less common, at least in terms of reporting metrics), is not the same thing as, as a society accepting and perpetuating rape (which is what "rape culture" insinuates).

As a society, we view the act as depraved, vile and highly illegal, and we have laws around that (which admittedly could be better, but our current justice system is predicated on burden of proof). How people perceive it is a separate issue and is social, not cultural.

If someone is so absolutely triggered by hearing "baby it's cold outside" on the radio, a song let me remind people has been around since 1959, that maybe, just maybe those individuals should seek help to deal with those feelings when being triggered. This is just a byproduct of a social movement crossing the line and not keeping themselves in check, losing focus on bigger issues such as improving the environment such that people who have been victims of rape feel more empowered to actually report the things that have been done to them.

Removing the things that trigger people from our culture instead of addressing the issues and leaving artistic freedom alone is the complete wrong approach.

The NPC meme is real.

Somebody needs to inform these idiots wanting the song banned that they're slut-shaming the female character ::D

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Somebody needs to inform these idiots wanting the song banned that they're slut-shaming the female character ::D

For some reason I seem to remember them changing the lineup of the Fantastic Four in a Saturday Morning cartoon in the 70s to remove Johnny Storm/The Human Torch because they were afraid that kids would imitate him by setting themselves on fire.

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

For some reason I seem to remember them changing the lineup of the Fantastic Four in a Saturday Morning cartoon in the 70s to remove Johnny Storm/The Human Torch because they were afraid that kids would imitate him by setting themselves on fire.

Wow. Ridiculous.

19 hours ago, Dungass said:

Sayyid Qutb, one of the idealogical fathers of Al-Qaeda spent two years in the US, and specifically mentioned how that song in particular disgusted him and showed him the decadence and immorality of Western Culture.

19 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Wow I had no idea.

Of course then some of the 9/11 suicide "bombers" spent time in strip clubs before they got on planes to blow stuff up because of our immorality.  :wacko:

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wow. Ridiculous.

I wasn't a kid in the 70s but I can only quess they (adults) thought kids were so "innocent"/"naive" then.

Going further back, there is a scene from the movie Hollywoodland which shows a little kid bringing a gun to an event George Reeves was attending (as his TV character Superman).  The kid wanted to see bullets bounce off him just like the TV show.  Apparently the scene actually happened in real life!  George Reeves had to convince the kid not to shoot (because the deflected bullets might hurt other people around him)

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_Park

In 1996, the CBC decided to take on the job of producing different kinds of content for the series; specifically to have their own "street". Producer Shirley Greenfield and screenwriter Jill Golick decided to set the show in a park, rather than on an urban street. A new half-hour series entitled Sesame Park was born.

Meh, I was a bit off, this was a Canadian spin off, of a Canadian version, that was a spin off, of  the American show.

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_Park

In 1996, the CBC decided to take on the job of producing different kinds of content for the series; specifically to have their own "street". Producer Shirley Greenfield and screenwriter Jill Golick decided to set the show in a park, rather than on an urban street. A new half-hour series entitled Sesame Park was born.

Meh, I was a bit off, this was a Canadian spin off, of a Canadian version, that was a spin off, of  the American show.

with the way things are going at CBC I'm waiting for the story on how the Friendly Giant got a little too "friendly" with Finnegan. 

I don't mind this.

I don't agree with it.

I think the song is cute and I understand the time it was written in. I have zero problem personally with the song, however...

Corporations can do whatever they want, I'll think they are being prudish , they can think they are evolving. 

But the notion of  'what is going on with the world...we're too sensitive etc'  I don't agree. Man, we have leaders that spew vile words, not even fit for a locker room, some that openly kill people and high five about it, reality TV stars that get famous by doing sex tapes and sports personalities that act like savages etc...  I think we are collectively are less sensitive

Let them ban it, who cares. The world is far more open than ever before yet some platforms restrict their menu as they feel fit. Things change. I think Maynard James Keenan is one of the best lyricists of all time....don't play his tracks at your family gatherings. 

When I was young I used to watch cartoons. You that are old enough will remember the Tom and Jerry type of shows and all the offensive scenes. Forget about the violence, I'm thinking about whenever a character would catch on fire. I even remember the song that the black faced cartoon would sing. That awful image is stuck in my head. I don't want to see that crap anymore.

We post on a site, CDC, that the great George Carlin would cringe at. George, sadly we still can't say those words in many public places despite almost all of us swearing in our regular lives.

For those that think what is this world becoming too strict regarding what we can see, hear and say.... Do you have children? do they have unsupervised access to the internet? If so they have seen and heard soo much more than I ever did before I was an adult. It's scary what google will show you, I cant imagine what my friends and I would get up to if we had it back in my youth.

This is a blown out of proportion but I find it interesting that people are so offended that people are offended. You want the right to see and hear everything, you got it. It's accessible on your phone. Then you simply stop supporting the corporations that don't fall inline with your beliefs.

Anyway, ending babble/. I 'm finding the comments in this thread funny as CDC always is! and I agree with most of you.

Just doesn't bug me as much I guess. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with the way things are going at CBC I'm waiting for the story on how the Friendly Giant got a little too "friendly" with Finnegan. 

Was there some crossover of the Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup that I didn't know about?

Archived