The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Baby It's Cold Outside" pulled from radio

Dazzle

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh God, don't get me going.  But I just tend to ignore it. 

That's the thing I guess...you could find something in everything if you look hard enough.   Music should be fairly off limits because it's "art".  Creativity.  Not to be followed like directions or instructions.

On the fence here.  Not sure how I feel about it all, really.  I'm leaning toward just "Let It Be".

Nailed it.  I, like you, generally put this type of thing on ignore.  But, music is art.  Art has just been censored......marinate on that.

Of all the songs to be censored off the air.....

Its laughable, and sad all at the same time.

edit:

re read your post and realized you meant that you ignored rap music.  I thought you meant that you ignored PC white noise.

i ignore both.:towel:

Oh woe is you, Christmas is no more!

This song isn't being censored and banished, it's just not playing on the radio, like millions of other songs. If this song means so much to so many of you, there's always Youtube, Spotify, torrents, or hell, there's always the bargain bin at Wal-Mart, chock-full of crappy music nobody listens to.

I'm sure Trudeau is working tirelessly to make sure you never hear this song again, but in his eternal incompetence, he hasn't realized the many avenues to listen to music that exist out there. Seems many of you haven't either.

I highly enjoy all the unironic comments about how society is outraged over everything, though. 

PS. Trudeau, making Canada soft by having nothing to do with this. Stupid Trudeau. Why you gotta ruin Christmas!?

26 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Oh woe is you, Christmas is no more!

This song isn't being censored and banished, it's just not playing on the radio, like millions of other songs. If this song means so much to so many of you, there's always Youtube, Spotify, torrents, or hell, there's always the bargain bin at Wal-Mart, chock-full of crappy music nobody listens to.

I'm sure Trudeau is working tirelessly to make sure you never hear this song again, but in his eternal incompetence, he hasn't realized the many avenues to listen to music that exist out there. Seems many of you haven't either.

I highly enjoy all the unironic comments about how society is outraged over everything, though. 

PS. Trudeau, making Canada soft by having nothing to do with this. Stupid Trudeau. Why you gotta ruin Christmas!?

Mankind?

1 hour ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Still flogging that molehill into a mountain, huh? May I suggest the India trip for some variety?

How does one flog a mole hill into a mountain? 

They are his moronic words. Rap songs get played on the radio and they are WAY more abusive and offensive to women than this song. Drip, drip, drip.

14 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

People in this thread need to really educate themselves on what “Rape Culture” actually is. The reactions in here to something from over a half century ago not being played on the radio are laughable at best. Do some reading. Start with this article on 80s popculture movies:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/27/17906644/sixteen-candles-rape-culture-1980s-brett-kavanaugh

Your response signifies exactly what is wrong in society today. Instead of acknowledging the past for the past and identifying a better way to proceed, the over extension of the PC culture continually reaches back into the past for reasons to manufacture outrage today.

The problem that me too has created, despite the obvious positives is that people now need to be fearful of the most basic of societal interactions between sexes or even in some cases those of the same sex, for fear of reprisal that said interaction is an unwanted, nonconsensual sexual abuse. In other words, people need to condition themselves when it comes to body language, tone of voice, inflection, eye contact etc when interacting in order to NOT be misconstrued as someone dangerous or to be feared whether the person they're interacting with is likely to be offended in this sense or not.

Another problem is that because of this, corporations hyper extend to the absolute extreme and in order to appease those with rather weak mental constitution (read snowflakes) they make decisions which impact exponentially more people negatively than the action was made to benefit in a positive fashion.

For all of the talk of social justice, it's very much the opposite. It's social injustice masquerading as a cause for positive change. All it's doing is pushing society to change and conform to a very narrow minded world view that does not apply to the majority of the world population. However, since the issue is predominantly being pushed by those in positions of power and influence (some politicians, ie Justin Trudeau is an example, or individuals with significant amounts of wealth ie George Soros, or the multitude of lieutenants in this cause that have significant social importance such as celebrities who also have quite a bit of money themselves), it's picked up by the mainstream media as well as social media, pimped and now appears to be a much larger reality than it really ought to be; the plebs fall in line and you get a level of momentum that is near on impossible to combat.

The problem with the militant nature of the metoo movement is that it's all or nothing. It does nothing to foster healthy discourse, it's "our way or the highway".

In the discussion of rape culture, metoo in some ways can be thought of as putting Leipsic on a pig. If metoo had stopped at simply bringing awareness to a systemic issue in society I would be 100% fine with it, because at it's essence that's the correct thing to do. Where I draw issue with metoo, is the militance in which it is applied, superseding our most basic fundamental concepts of law and justice such as burden of proof. Many of the predominant metoo rally cries are absent of having anything close to enough supporting evidence to satisfy the burden of proof, Harvey Weinstein is the most cited example of one such case in which there was overwhelming evidence to support the claims.

I'm not going to delve into the Kavanaugh hearing as I think that at its core the issue had merit, but the way in which it was handled on both sides to me suggests that it did a disservice to the actual issue at hand.

What I will say is, the re-scoping of what constitutes rape from a societal perspective I'm fine with, and this is me talking as a father of a little girl. The point I was making in my previous post, is that if positive change has any hope in hell of mass adoption by the general populace, then the forces which are pushing for that change need to be fair, even tempered and exist in parallel to and respecting of the existing frameworks of law and order. Rallying together a group of extreme left wing nutjobs where nearly every aspect of their existence is a trigger mechanism, and appeasing them when they cry out from their safe spaces does nothing except to alienate people who would otherwise consider their points of view.

We need rational, healthy debate on subjects without devolving into relative monkeys in order to come to any kind of logical consensus as a society. Conversation, and the debate of ideas is the most fundamental way to achieve that in a civilized manner. People are by and large simply too lazy to do that, it's much easier to take a completely unrealistic and extremist position in an attempt to force everyone else to conform. You're going to get resistance, and just because people resist does not mean they are bigoted, or sexist, homophobic or anything else other than simply disagreeing with either something that is said, or the mode in which it is being conveyed.

Edit: I just noticed that the forums changes the word "Lip.Stick" to "Leipsic". This should be removed since Leipsic is now a member of the LA Kings, lol. @debluvscanucks/any other mod who can make that change.

30 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

How does one flog a mole hill into a mountain? 

They are his moronic words. Rap songs get played on the radio and they are WAY more abusive and offensive to women than this song. Drip, drip, drip.

You start with a teaspoon of organic, non-GMO, non-issue issue, then you add three cups of partisan outrage, sprinkle in some stupidity, mix it all up until blended, cool in the fridge for about 10 months and serve. Pro-tip, you can keep it in the fridge as long as your partisan outrage doesn't expire. Frankly, I thought you nailed it.

I've heart infinitely more moronic words in reaction to his jest than what was contained therein. YMMV.

The hulabaloo over this song shows us, that regardless of whether one is a liberal or a conservative, Canadians, in general, lack the fundamental principle of TOLERANCE and UNDERSTANDING. 

This song is *NOT*  'rapey'.  Its written in the 20s-50s era. An era where you were automatically branded a whore or a womanizer if you spent alone time with the opposite gender. 

I spent part of my childhood growing up in a culture where women are obligated to say no to the first attempt at ANYTHING a guy says - are you cold ? are you too hot ? do you want a coffee ?  All of them will be answered 'no' the first time.  Heck, in one of the languages i am fluent in and happens to be one of the most spoken languages worldwide,  the term for 'being in love' is deewangi - which literally means 'madness'. Nobody takes it as 'lovers are crazy/love is being insane/all lovers = axe-murdering jealous psychos', it literally means ' madness in the sense of not being proper and risking humiliation'. 

So i get where this song is coming from :

He doesn't want her to leave, so he is making up innane reasons for her to stay. She doesn't want to leave either, but cannot automatically say 'yes', lest she be seen as a whore, so she is playing up the coyness of 'i must have lost my senses to make this choice and not be proper'. 

That is all that is going on, people. Instead of banning this song and being 'its too rapey', maybe the conversation should revolve around ' i am glad we don't have to speak in innuendo and beat around the bush like our grandparents had to !'

The end.

25 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

We need rational, healthy debate on subjects without devolving into relative monkeys in order to come to any kind of logical consensus as a society. Conversation, and the debate of ideas is the most fundamental way to achieve that in a civilized manner. People are by and large simply too lazy to do that, it's much easier to take a completely unrealistic and extremist position in an attempt to force everyone else to conform. You're going to get resistance, and just because people resist does not mean they are bigoted, or sexist, homophobic or anything else other than simply disagreeing with either something that is said, or the mode in which it is being conveyed.

Edit: I just noticed that the forums changes the word "Lip.Stick" to "Leipsic". This should be removed since Leipsic is now a member of the LA Kings, lol. @debluvscanucks/any other mod who can make that change.

As a father of a young adult female I'm also worried for her with things that go on in our culture, but banning this song is ridiculous and will probably shut down more conversation than start it. If this song is the new benchmark then literally 1000s of songs need to be struck from the airwaves. 

I don't think this represents the whole me too movement, which has done a lot of good in exposing many creeps in power for who they were. Everything has its extremists and we shouldn't allow them to censor everyone else. 

44 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

You start with a teaspoon of organic, non-GMO, non-issue issue, then you add three cups of partisan outrage, sprinkle in some stupidity, mix it all up until blended, cool in the fridge for about 10 months and serve. Pro-tip, you can keep it in the fridge as long as your partisan outrage doesn't expire. Frankly, I thought you nailed it.

I've heart infinitely more moronic words in reaction to his jest than what was contained therein. YMMV.

So you agree the government should be banning songs from radio play? Your text diarrhea above doesn't make it quite clear. 

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

As a father of a young adult female I'm also worried for her with things that go on in our culture, but banning this song is ridiculous and will probably shut down more conversation than start it. If this song is the new benchmark then literally 1000s of songs need to be struck from the airwaves. 

I don't think this represents the whole me too movement, which has done a lot of good in exposing many creeps in power for who they were. Everything has its extremists and we shouldn't allow them to censor everyone else. 

I often find myself at odds with you Jimmy, but once in awhile you're a pretty swell guy :P

You're correct in that this doesn't represent the whole me too movement, I acknowledged as such. I think however if we look at the larger picture, everything from metoo, to black lives matters, to global migration all pile into generating our current social circumstance. This song is but a microcosm of that, however it's about as extreme as it gets as it pertains to giving context to the situation.

It's amazing what changes in the course of a decade. Truly scary if you think about it, I'm trying to remember what the hot topics were in 2007 for example. Here's a comparison of the top 10 news stories in 2007, and from 2017:

1. Transition in Pakistan
  2. Mortgage Crisis
  3. Saffron Protests
  4. End of the Harry Potter series
  5. General Petraus
  6. Chinese made toy recall
  7. Virgina Tech shooting
  8. Stem cell breakthrough
  9. Barry Bonds, world records and idictment
  10. Steve Jobs unveiled the iPhone

1. Donald Trump
  2. Mueller Investigation
  3. North Korea
  4. Harvey Weinstein, #metoo
  5. Las Vegas, Texas massacres
  6. Terrorism in tourist destinations
  7. Opioid epidemic
  8. Hurricanes
  9. Solar eclipse
  10. Culture wars (Charlottesville, etc)

It's not hard to understand why we're in the current social climate we are. Look at the things that the media is choosing to focus on as being the most important issues. There are opportunists everywhere, and this is just yet another cycle of them having their day.

I give it another decade and all of this hullabaloo will more than likely die down and things will return to some level of normalcy. My only fear is that every time the opportunists crank it to 11, the social impact gets worse and worse. What happens the next time they hit their height of nonsense?

If you think that song is bad you should see the original: NSFL

Spoiler
I really can't stay (Baby it's raping time)
I gotta get away (Baby it's raping time)
I so wish I was gone (I just put my raping shoes on)
I think I'm gonna be sick (Just one little feel of my d*ck)
My mother warned me all about you(Don't worry she's next in the queue)
My father will be calling the cops (What did I do with those knockout drops?)
You're creeping me out alotta (Have a sip of this roofie colada)
Well maybe I can escape through the backdoor (I doubt it when you're chained to the floor)
baby it's raping time!

14 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

So you agree the government should be banning songs from radio play? Your text diarrhea above doesn't make it quite clear. 

If you think the government is banning songs from airplay, you clearly don't understand what "government" is.

You remind me of another poster that used to roam around these parts. Better luck this time, I suppose. It's been dull without you and Clam, sorry, Aguila.

11 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

If you think that song is bad you should see the original: NSFL

Reveal hidden contents
I really can't stay (Baby it's raping time)
I gotta get away (Baby it's raping time)
I so wish I was gone (I just put my raping shoes on)
I think I'm gonna be sick (Just one little feel of my d*ck)
My mother warned me all about you(Don't worry she's next in the queue)
My father will be calling the cops (What did I do with those knockout drops?)
You're creeping me out alotta (Have a sip of this roofie colada)
Well maybe I can escape through the backdoor (I doubt it when you're chained to the floor)
baby it's raping time!

that's a nasty song.  It sounds similar to the Billy Joel song "Only the Good Die Young", which was banned in Boston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_the_Good_Die_Young

15 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

I often find myself at odds with you Jimmy, but once in awhile you're a pretty swell guy :P

You're correct in that this doesn't represent the whole me too movement, I acknowledged as such. I think however if we look at the larger picture, everything from metoo, to black lives matters, to global migration all pile into generating our current social circumstance. This song is but a microcosm of that, however it's about as extreme as it gets as it pertains to giving context to the situation.

It's amazing what changes in the course of a decade. Truly scary if you think about it, I'm trying to remember what the hot topics were in 2007 for example. Here's a comparison of the top 10 news stories in 2007, and from 2017:

It's not hard to understand why we're in the current social climate we are. Look at the things that the media is choosing to focus on as being the most important issues. There are opportunists everywhere, and this is just yet another cycle of them having their day.

I give it another decade and all of this hullabaloo will more than likely die down and things will return to some level of normalcy. My only fear is that every time the opportunists crank it to 11, the social impact gets worse and worse. What happens the next time they hit their height of nonsense?

But.... (of course I have a rebuttal right? :P) things like me too, blm, migration all also have a fair amount of truth and an actual need for a real change and solutions. Its unfortunate that the extremes on both sides of these issues take up so much oxygen. 

Part of the problem imo is the instant rage, instant judgement, instant punishment of social media. It happens on the far right and left and most of the rest of us are sitting in the middle with our heads spinning. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But.... (of course I have a rebuttal right? :P) things like me too, blm, migration all also have a fair amount of truth and an actual need for a real change and solutions. Its unfortunate that the extremes on both sides of these issues take up so much oxygen. 

Part of the problem imo is the instant rage, instant judgement, instant punishment of social media. It happens on the far right and left and most of the rest of us are sitting in the middle with our heads spinning. 

True enough, I don't inherently have anything against the core of these issues:

metoo = people feeling safe and free from exploitation in their lives,
blm = racial tolerance from both sides,
migration = world governments need to be more competent than a sack of bricks so that conditions are not so poor that people feel like they are force to go elsewhere.

The problem for me is in the extremism on both sides of the argument, and the militance by which these causes are applied, none of it is conducive to rational discourse. There's no debate, you're either on board or you're a racist, bigot or sexist.

I keep coming back to the simple premise that people need to raise their damn kids better. However, we're now entering a time in which those youths who were misled and have ridiculous world views are now themselves having children. Beyond that, I have serious reservations about the state of the educational system and the part it plays in shaping the minds of youth. It's certainly not an easy problem to tackle, and I think you're right a lot of people get swept up into the momentum of social media and everything just takes on a life of its own, one way or the other.

It's difficult to not think that this is what it must have been around the beginning of the end of the Roman Empire. My biggest fear is that things get so bad that things utterly collapse giving rise to a one world Government. We already see the premise of that starting with the UN Global Compact on Migration, turning mass migration into a Human Right, essentially ending illegal immigration in countries that sign into the agreement.

It's no surprise then that this entire document is spearheaded by Trudeau and the Liberals, further isolating us from the rest of the less extremist countries of the world, at least in the sense of immigration and protection of sovereignty. I find it absolutely unconscionable that any Government wouldn't want to preserve a natural and orderly immigration process, unless of course that Government subscribes to the Marxist theory of Social Constructionism and Erasure of Borders.

27 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

If you think the government is banning songs from airplay, you clearly don't understand what "government" is.

You remind me of another poster that used to roam around these parts. Better luck this time, I suppose. It's been dull without you and Clam, sorry, Aguila.

I remind you of someone, neat. The government took the song off the government controlled channels. 

You remind of someone I've never met or seen before who can't comprehend simple things. It was exciting here, until I met you. 

Archived