The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Player by player state of the rebuild, and a bit of ranting.

xereau

18 minutes ago, THINKER said:

This.

Though I get that it's unlikely Aquilini will go.  Benning has been nothing short of a massive failure here.  Let's look at some of the stats:

Canucks since the beginning 2015/2016:

- Last in points percentage.
- Last in GF/game.
- Second last in GA/game.
- Last in goal differential (-179). Next worse is ~20% better at -147 (Arizona). Fourth worst is at -99.
- Third last in PP% and PK%.
- Second last in xGF% and last in adjusted xGF% at all game states.

And I wouldn't say this team has even been in a rebuild.  It's simply been a bad hockey team that failed at trying to make the playoffs (which is what Benning has tried to do every year).  

Awful signings, poor trades, neglecting to acquire draft picks, and missing out on Tkachuk and Nylander/Ehlers, has really set this team back several years. I know people a few years ago opposed a tear it down rebuild because they didn't want to become like the Oilers.  Guess what?  This team is just as bad as the old Oilers.

yawn

3 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I think the Penguins and the Canucks both got what they were looking for out of that deal to be fair.

I would agree they both got what they were "looking" for but I still say Bonino has both stayed healthy and contributed to winning and SC winning teams. Whereas

Sutter has been injured for nearly 100 games as a Canuck and has contributed little or nothing to the worst team in the league since the trade.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

What a lot of people don't understand is that getting the personnel in place is one step.  After you have the personnel in place, then it's a few years before they truly learn to play together, to just instinctively know where their teammates are on the ice.  When they play against teams like Minny, LA, SJ etc etc, what we see is players who have been playing together for a very long time.  They might not have the pure talent that the Canucks have, but they know how to play together.  The Canucks are amassing some impressive talent, not they just ave to grow together.

This is a time to be patient and enjoy the process, as hard as it is at times.

Be patient about what?  This is the worst team in the NHL over the last 3 year period coming into this season, and we just came off a draft where the team had a pick deficit, and a summer where the GM grossly overpaid long-term for 2 fourth liners, and signed another awful player (Schaller) for 2 years at just under $2M per year.  The GM has shown an unwillingness to acquire draft picks, and instead relies heavily on whichever veteran he overpays for in free agency every year.

Just sitting around while Benning continues what he's been doing for years here is going to lead to nothing but more bad seasons, and a complete waste of Horvat, Boeser, and Pettersson's primes.  

KEEP - Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Goldobin, Leivo, Sutter, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Motte, Gaudette, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Nilsson

BRING UP IN 2019 - Dahlen, Juolevi, Hughes, Demko

TRADE - Baertschi, Schaller, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Stecher, Pouliot, Markstrom

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

KEEP - Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Goldobin, Leivo, Sutter, Virtanen, Roussel, Beagle, Motte, Gaudette, Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Nilsson

TRADE - Baertschi, Schaller, Eriksson, Gagner, Granlund, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Stecher, Pouliot, Markstrom

Actually if there is a way we can get out from those awful Sutter, Roussel, and Beagle contracts I look to do that.

Would also not be upset at all if we lost Leivo, Motte, or Nilsson as none of them are anything great.

Edler I would look to move at the deadline for picks.

Tanev...if you can get something good for him I pull the trigger, though at this point I think that ship has sailed.  He needed to be traded two years ago.

Dahlen and Juolevi don't look anywhere close to being ready for an NHL roster spot.  I'm fine giving them a look-see, but they may never be ready.  Hughes I expect will get a look at the end of this season.  Demko and Markstrom should be our goalies next year.

2 minutes ago, THINKER said:

Actually if there is a way we can get out from those awful Sutter, Roussel, and Beagle contracts I look to do that.

Would also not be upset at all if we lost Leivo, Motte, or Nilsson as none of them are anything great.

Edler I would look to move at the deadline for picks.

Tanev...if you can get something good for him I pull the trigger, though at this point I think that ship has sailed.  He needed to be traded two years ago.

Dahlen and Juolevi don't look anywhere close to being ready for an NHL roster spot.  I'm fine giving them a look-see, but they may never be ready.  Hughes I expect will get a look at the end of this season.  Demko and Markstrom should be our goalies next year.

Nobody is gonna read your post past the bold part buddy.. 

10 minutes ago, THINKER said:

Be patient about what?  This is the worst team in the NHL over the last 3 year period coming into this season, and we just came off a draft where the team had a pick deficit, and a summer where the GM grossly overpaid long-term for 2 fourth liners, and signed another awful player (Schaller) for 2 years at just under $2M per year.  The GM has shown an unwillingness to acquire draft picks, and instead relies heavily on whichever veteran he overpays for in free agency every year.

Just sitting around while Benning continues what he's been doing for years here is going to lead to nothing but more bad seasons, and a complete waste of Horvat, Boeser, and Pettersson's primes.  

I wonder what could have been a determining factor in the last three years?  I'll give you a hint...........injuries.

10 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Bahahaha...OK professor, by all means...explain to me how Jared McCann is a plug and Jake Virtanen isn't. Man the idiots or out this afternoon on CDC.

A non physical centre that is too fragile to play a full season, has never broken 40% faceoff percentage in a season, or gotten 10 goals. Pretty much Linden Vey 2.0

Virtanen brings amazing speed,  physicality and gets more goals with lesser teammates. If you can’t figure that out yourself, I’m not the idiot. 

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

hahahahahahaha

2 minutes ago, Deets said:

A non physical centre that is too fragile to play a full season, has never broken 40% faceoff percentage in a season, or gotten 10 goals. Pretty much Linden Vey 2.0

Virtanen brings amazing speed,  physicality and gets more goals with lesser teammates. If you can’t figure that out yourself, I’m not the idiot. 

Lesser teammates...at least you got one thing right today. And being a bit faster and having a few more hits is hardly the difference between a "plug" and whatever you think JV is at this point. Nice try though...professor.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder what could have been a determining factor in the last three years?  I'll give you a hint...........injuries.

Every team deals with injuries.

It's funny, every year in September/October Benning claims the team has better depth than the previous year, and they'll be better equipped to deal with injuries.  Every April Benning comes out and blames injuries and says the team didn't have good enough depth.  He's never held accountable.

2 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Oh heaven for fend...a CDC regular has put me on ignore because facts and stats are too much for his fragile little ego...I'm shocked.

It's been a while since I posted here.  10 years ago I was quite a regular.  Is that what this place is like?  Is it a Benning safe space where people ignore facts?

5 minutes ago, THINKER said:

Why not?  Those are awful contracts...

3 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Oh heaven for fend...a CDC regular has put me on ignore because facts and stats are too much for his fragile little ego...I'm shocked.

You two need to get a room.. 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

A real shame that the OP’s well done thread is already sidetracked by trolling   

I wouldn't call using facts to show how this team

a) isn't in a rebuild, and

b) is in an awful state

is considered trolling.

1 minute ago, THINKER said:

It's been a while since I posted here.  10 years ago I was quite a regular.  Is that what this place is like?  Is it a Benning safe space where people ignore facts?

It is so ironic that you are calling out people for looking for positives while you have an entire twitter page devoted to dissecting every negative thing you can find about the Canucks.

Why don't you just cheer for a different team? Seems a lot easier

Archived