The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Player by player state of the rebuild, and a bit of ranting.

xereau

I honestly don't believe in this team this season, a tank is the best move, and the removal of Benning.  I do believe at least one of the following

Gaudette

Lind

Dhalen

has to become a top 6 foward.

but tanking is the best option right now, we make a play for the other Hughes if all else fails we had another player hopefully a winger that will be part of our core for years to come. 

13 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I honestly don't believe in this team this season, a tank is the best move, and the removal of Benning.  I do believe at least one of the following

Gaudette

Lind

Dhalen

but tanking is the best option right now, we make a play for the other Hughes if all else fails we had another player hopefully a winger that will be part of our core for years to come. 

I never thought this a season ago but as time wears on with not much or any improvements i do believe the clock is ticking now.

18 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I never thought this a season ago but as time wears on with not much or any improvements i do believe the clock is ticking now.

Especially watching MT and the other ones.

As much as the EP pick is awesome, the rest of those 1sts are starting to sting a bit more each year now. 

Even TD has issues.

Nothing is certain down there and the ‘bigger’ guys are looking like long-shots now. 

I’d love to be wrong. Wish me luck. 

5 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

lol... continuing to just talk about only what supports your narrative. it must suck being so negative in life

uhh.. you just said the leafs rebuild took less than 5 years... they missed the playoffs for a decade stockpiling picks and won the lottery on top of that... if anything it supports my argument perfectly that the nucks could easily be good next year if they just win the lottery

whatever tho im done talking to you two

tucks tail between his legs and runs off knowing he has lost...lol

48 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Gaudette

Lind

Dhalen

Yes to tanking, no to removing Benning. 

Sure his signings suck, but  Bennings' draft and trade record is golden. It's exactly what you want for a rebuilding team. Lets just hope that his signings get better when the core is built up.

14 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

Yes to tanking, no to removing Benning. 

Sure his signings suck, but  Bennings' draft and trade record is golden. It's exactly what you want for a rebuilding team. Lets just hope that his signings get better when the core is built up.

I don’t think many of us imagine Aquaman as being so blind as to let Benning stay on after the core gets drafted, accumulated from several accidental tanks, as has been the case so far.

There’s no way you let that guy try to seriously manage a team expected to win, in my opinion at least. He’s perfect for this stage. Don’t change a thing, Orca. 

8 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Not sure how you can say he won the Sutter or Leivo trades. Leivo has played one game so you don't get to assign a  win or loss to that trade yet. And Bonino has been more durable and outperformed or was equal to Sutter in each year since the trade (which also cost Clendening and a 2nd and only got a 3rd back).

First 2 seasons after the trade

Sutter 101gp-22g-21a-43pts 52% FO

Bonino 143gp-27g-39a-66pts 50% FO (2 Cups including 18pts in 24gp in the 2016 run)

2 seasons subsequent

Sutter 93gp-14g-16a-30pts 48% FO

Bonino 98gp-16g-20a-36pts 53% FO

Atta boy! Well said.

To be fair we actually don't know what Beagle really offers he's only played 6 games, and when he was playing the team was winning games so I'm giving him time. As far as the season goes on the signings, 

Schaller : dud

Roussel : meh with penalties 

Is it just me or are Green and Benning on different pages? 

Benning went and acquired some grit and wanted to help and has stated he wants us tougher to play against. 

Green wants us to play a fast paced high skill game and try to limit penalties and seems to discourage fighting, which makes it look like we have no reaction at all when other teams take liberties with our players. 

I wish one player would get angry and go off on one of the teams. We are soft and other teams know it. Green needs to release his hold of the players and let them show some backbone. Maybe if they physically fought back it won't be as painful to watch this team lose. 

Would agree with the original posters evaluations except two... those are:

TRYAMKIN 

media.gif

Tryamkin would make this team an instant playoff contender.

And...

Baertschi

72C236FDE2FE75541408D8D420A4AD754D79EE61

Baertschi may not look imposing, but he does a lot of things well, on offense and defense and was the team's 3rd leading scorer last year.

12 hours ago, GritGrinder said:

Not sure how you can say he won the Sutter or Leivo trades. Leivo has played one game so you don't get to assign a  win or loss to that trade yet. And Bonino has been more durable and outperformed or was equal to Sutter in each year since the trade (which also cost Clendening and a 2nd and only got a 3rd back).

First 2 seasons after the trade

Sutter 101gp-22g-21a-43pts 52% FO

Bonino 143gp-27g-39a-66pts 50% FO (2 Cups including 18pts in 24gp in the 2016 run)

2 Cups for Bonino, 2 percent better in the faceoff circle for Sutter.  I'd say that's even.

10 hours ago, THINKER said:

They had poor management that kept pushing for the playoffs.  They had a playoff team in 2013.  Shanahan came in a year later and decided the team wasn't good enough and tore it down.  In contrast to Benning and Linden who tried to take the team they inherited to the playoffs every year.

Im just saying they had missed the playoffs the previous 9 yearsand already had Kadri, Gardnier, Reilly. Moveable assets in Kessel and Van Riemdyk,  Bozak, Phanuef , Lupul and a terrible contract in Clarkson.

This was a great read and a fair analysis of the personnel on this team. Would love to include my thoughts:

Edler is definitely playing over his head, but is one of our only top 4 D. An unfortunate testament of our defensive depth.

Tanev has been frustrating in the offensive zone. I really want to watch some Tort's era footage and see how Tanev was able to score 6 goals and 20 odd points. He was also a lot more defensively stable in his own end, whereas this year he's a bit frantic. 

I love Beagle's accountability. You can clearly see how he takes it personally that the PK is struggling. 

Biega is a legitimate 7th D. Brings energy, and has his moments on both sides of the ice. 

Eriksson should be traded to a cap strapped team once all his bonuses are paid out, if they aren't already. 

MDZ should be TDL bait. I can see a 3rd round, or a 5th and prospect.

Gagner had a good call up, and it's unfortunate that he was sent down to the A. Not that he's a game changer, but we're already offensively challenged. Hoping the rumours to Chicago have some truth to them though.

Nillson’s play is be expected. He has some good moments and some weak moments, though he tends to play small more often than not. I’m also not a fan of his puck control.

Roussel definitely comes as advertised. Great speed and an epic pain in the butt. One of JB’s better signings.

I was hoping Schaller would be more of a banger with a touch of goal support, but as of this moment he's been very quiet. Not a crippling contract, though.

Stecher has a lot of heart. Definitely one of the hardest working D on the team. A solid top 6, but hard to see him in the lineup past next season.

Baerstchi injury history is concerning for sure. We (and Horvat) miss him in our top 6.

Goldobin has been quiet recently, but it's encouraging to see him 3rd in points on our team. I wouldn't put him in the same tier as Horvat, Boeser, or Petey, but for a team lacking effective top 6 players, I'm satisfied with the offense he brings.

Granlund is an interesting case for me. He's been criticized for being soft on the PK, but in my opinion I thought he's been decent. He's won a few big face offs, and had a key game tying goal last week. Good utility player.

Gudbranson has kind of disappeared lately. Had a nice point and mean streak earlier in the season, but I’m seriously questioning his capacity in a top 4 role. I would love to see some more highlight reel hits from him, but overall I’m ok with his physicality, which is lacking on the team.

Leivo had an encouraging debut. Will see how he does in the next dozen or so games.

Markstrom isn’t as good as he should be, but not as bad as people say he is. Makes monumental saves he shouldn't, but let's in too many he should.

Motte has been a breath of fresh air. Chris Higgins 2.0 is a fair assessment.

With respect to Sutter, I can see both sides of the argument. We definitely miss him, but I also don't think his presence saves the season.

Pouliot is frustrated to say the least. One great play here and there doesn't make up for the several lapses per game. With that said, not missing Pedan or that 4th round pick to acquire him.

Gaudette’s play has been delightful. You can definitely see his potential. Once Sutter returns, I'd still like to see him sent back down to Utica to refine his play.

Hutton’s performance this season compared to last season is night and day. Still developing his game, but very impressed with his progression, especially while Edler and Tanev were out. I’d like to see Green try Hutton on PP1 again to give special teams a spark.

Virtanen’s been very fun to watch, and I’m encouraged by his play, especially his passing as of late. Anxiously waiting to #shotgunjake, though. It’s been a while.

Boeser is struggling with the puck, but I’m impressed with his board work as of late. His goals will come. Not concerned.

Petterssonis our Future #1.

Horvat is the Undisputed captain.

Would love to hear other people's thoughts!

Good post and opinion for each player.

I don't agree with all of it but that is the way it should be in a discussion forum.

For the most part you didn't call the players derogatory names but described what you perceived as deficiencies.

I am not sold on OJ being top 4, I think he is struggling to just get on the NHL ice, he should not be counted on to be a part of the solution.

Groot will be back, the money and now other Russian speaking players will help.

Hughes looks like a lock BUT my concern is his size, if his offence isn't good enough what then? His big issue he is working on in college is trying to be a better defenceman, defence and playing more physical against bigger players. As good as he was in college doesn't mean the NHL, just saying proceed with some caution and not huge in concrete expectations.

Horvat as the solid second center is okay, it is my hope that the team gets 2 more top 7 picks and maybe even 3 if the 2020/2021 season is a wash. There is the potential to draft 2 superstar centers/wingers, if they pushed Horvat to number 3 it would mean those players are really good.

19 hours ago, stawns said:

Linden knew enough to bail, and this, my friends, should tell is A LOT about the state of this franchise.  The most beloved alumni of all time, had seen and heard enough, took his puck, and went home

IMO Linden never stopped being the NHLPA president (1998–2006), he put players ahead of the franchise and IMO left because his contract was coming up and he was against trading vets. His view wasn't bad as far as the player went, there is huge disruption when traded and he experienced that late in his career, but the NHLPA president is about players first. Linden had stated many times he favoured the Winnipeg rebuild model, that is a difficult model as to when did it start? That franchise has been rebuilding for 17 years all together or just since the move in 2011? Either way he acknowledged the Canuck rebuild did not start until 2017, so the Peg's was up to 5/6 years, he was advocating another similar period of time. His morale's would not let him treat players like a piece of meat, that is why Benning got a 2 year contract, he indicated he would and if he did there would be noticeable improvement or skilled youth within 2/3 years and playoffs within 3/4 years.

What made Linden a beloved in the community, his compassion,  was what made him a terrible Team President to be in charge of franchise.

Archived