The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Given the Canucks Cap Space, Where they are in the rebuild, and Overall team needs, who should they target in the off-season?

Given the Canucks Cap Space, Where they are in the rebuild, and Overall team needs, who should they target in the off-season?

I feel like this type of thread will offer more questions than answers, but here are some of my thoughts:

1) Given the Canucks’ cap space over the coming years, can they afford to take a run at a high ticket UFA (Or UFA’s as in plural) *without* running into a future problem of re-upping their future core RFA’s? (Boeser, Pettersson, etc).  

2) Philosophically speaking, should the Canucks even attempt to go after a high ticket UFA, given where they are in their rebuild cycle/stage?Would going this route come with more long advantages or long term disadvantages? 

3) IF the Canucks decide to aggressively pursue a high ticket UFA, who should they target?  The Canucks seem to be decent down the middle and on RW’ing, in terms of their future stability, but most would agree that there are question makes everywhere else.   Does going after Erik Karlsson make sense?  The Canucks might be set on left side D with Hughes and Juolevi coming up, but their right side looks bleak.  Tanev isn’t getting any younger, while Woo and Chatfield are far from being “sure things.”  What about Sergei Bobrovsky?   Markstrom and Nilsson likely won’t get significantly better at this point, while Dipietro could still be a number of years away.  That leaves the (injury prone?) Demko.  Can you see Demko being a superstar goalie in this league?  

Would the presence of Erik Karlsson help offset mediocre goaltending to a significant degree?  On the flip side - would the addition of Sergei Bobrovsky help offset a mediocre defense to a significant degree?

23 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Given the Canucks Cap Space, Where they are in the rebuild, and Overall team needs, who should they target in the off-season?

I feel like this type of thread will offer more questions than answers, but here are some of my thoughts:

1) Given the Canucks’ cap space over the coming years, can they afford to take a run at a high ticket UFA (Or UFA’s as in plural) *without* running into a future problem of re-upping their future core RFA’s? (Boeser, Pettersson, etc).  

2) Philosophically speaking, should the Canucks even attempt to go after a high ticket UFA, given where they are in their rebuild cycle/stage?Would going this route come with more long advantages or long term disadvantages? 

3) IF the Canucks decide to aggressively pursue a high ticket UFA, who should they target?  The Canucks seem to be decent down the middle and on RW’ing, in terms of their future stability, but most would agree that there are question makes everywhere else.   Does going after Erik Karlsson make sense?  The Canucks might be set on left side D with Hughes and Juolevi coming up, but their right side looks bleak.  Tanev isn’t getting any younger, while Woo and Chatfield are far from being “sure things.”  What about Sergei Bobrovsky?   Markstrom and Nilsson likely won’t get significantly better at this point, while Dipietro could still be a number of years away.  That leaves the (injury prone?) Demko.  Can you see Demko being a superstar goalie in this league?  

Would the presence of Erik Karlsson help offset mediocre goaltending to a significant degree?  On the flip side - would the addition of Sergei Bobrovsky help offset a mediocre defense to a significant degree?

some new defense

42 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

some new defense

I haven’t analyzed it from a long term cap perspective, but can the Canucks afford to re-up Edler?  I know some people on here think they can, but I’m not so sure if the numbers add up.

Even though Brock is struggling a bit this year, he will likely get William Nylander type money at minimum.  

Edler is going to want TERM and I can’t see him resigning here for anything less than 4 years.

from a long term numbers perspective, I think the Canucks will have to move on from Edler.

Hughes and Juolevi will likely make the jump next year.  Pouliot and Del Zotto will likely be shown the door.  

With all of Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot, and Nilsson gonzo, will the Canucks have enough to re-up Boeser *and* make a huge play for a guy like Karlsson or (uggh....that dman from Nashville.....his name currently escapes me for some reason).

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Scarlett Johansen?

I haven't analyzed it from a long term cap perspective, but can the Canucks afford to sign ScarJo? I know a lot of people think she would be worth it, but I'm not so sure the numbers add up.

With Avengers Infinity war behind us, and Avengers Endgame coming up, ScarJo has become the world's top paid actress. Last year she commanded $40.5 million, which would put us in a significant cap squeeze for the foreseeable future. In addition, she is in the peak of her career, and as such she'll be looking for term with any major contracts.

I also worry that she won't be as effective as many believe. I mean, she has incredible skills as Black Widow, but I'm concerned that the choreography of Hollywood has exaggerated them to some extent. She may add some much needed grit and agility to this lineup, but she might just as easily become a burden in the later years of her contract.

It's always tempting to sign the big name free agents out there, but I vote we stay the course, focus on drafting and development, and not try to convert Hollywood celebrities into star hockey players.

14 minutes ago, Tajun said:

I haven't analyzed it from a long term cap perspective, but can the Canucks afford to sign ScarJo? I know a lot of people think she would be worth it, but I'm not so sure the numbers add up.

With Avengers Infinity war behind us, and Avengers Endgame coming up, ScarJo has become the world's top paid actress. Last year she commanded $40.5 million, which would put us in a significant cap squeeze for the foreseeable future. In addition, she is in the peak of her career, and as such she'll be looking for term with any major contracts.

I also worry that she won't be as effective as many believe. I mean, she has incredible skills as Black Widow, but I'm concerned that the choreography of Hollywood has exaggerated them to some extent. She may add some much needed grit and agility to this lineup, but she might just as easily become a burden in the later years of her contract.

It's always tempting to sign the big name free agents out there, but I vote we stay the course, focus on drafting and development, and not try to convert Hollywood celebrities into star hockey players.

Normally actors/actresses are not for long term contracts. Since they don't wanna be tied down to any one project for too long. So I am not worried about paying her big money for the here and now. I am worried about the effect it'll have on MDZ though. I hear he's a pretty big deal as a bachelor. He's bad enough as is without worrying about him fawning over ScarJo all day every day. Giving her big money is not a bad thing if she also comes with her Avengers Stunt double.

Given Edler is arguably the second or third best defenseman still without a contract next year, I think this is a summer JB should stay out of any UFAs, we definitely don’t need anymore in the forward lineup.  Bobrovsky however I’d be all for.  Demko could mentor under a Vezina winner (2), and a huge hole would be plugged undeniably going forward.    Panarin, Stone and Duchene will all cost more than they are worth...although we do need another winger..any of them could come back to haunt us.

2 hours ago, Tajun said:

JB: Scarlet have you met Brock? 

SJ: Where do I sign? 

Get er done JB.... 

It depends

Through this rebuild, Benning has wanted veterans to support the players developing at the NHL level.

For example, veteran top line:  Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata.......veteran 2C (or match up)  Sutter......veteran top pair Edler, Tanev.....veteran goal Miller

Now, as things have gone, younger players have replaced that top line.  Benning also took a leap of faith on Markstrom who has shown limited results but he's still relying on the Edler-Tanev duo and I don't see anybody who is a sure thing to step in right away

On defense we may be seeing Hutton developing into the 2nd pair player we had been hoping for.  Also, is Gudbranson starting to look like the #4 they traded for?  The game has changed for Guddy and his foot speed is an issue that could see him closer to a #6 on a good team.  How fast does Hughes develop next year?  Does he waltz right in like Pettersson has done?  How about Juolevi?

Considering the players coming up in the system, is it a good idea to start adding free agents who are close to their prime who are going to demand top dollar for 7 years?  Or do they have the assets to go after top 4 D via trade?  We have seen Calgary trading for Hamilton and Hamonic who both cost a 1st and 2 x 2nd.  

I am afraid that this ownership group is the sort that will want to trade for final pieces like Calgary did rather than draft for them.  The thing is, you never know what the final piece really is and there may be several final pieces.

In the end, before the Canucks get truly competitive, we are going to have to wait on players like Juolevi, Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen, Demko and others.  Benning has shown that top 6, top 4 and goal are coming through the draft. Bottom 6 and 3rd pair can be had cheaply and easily and the odd gem lands in your lap from time to time (but you can't count on that)

7 minutes ago, Pears said:

We do need a true top line LW so I’d go hard after either Duchene or Panarin. Defense I think we’ll be ok with Hughes and Juolevi coming in next year. 

Would you re-sign Edler?  OJ will probably need some time to get used to the NHL, Hughes maybe too but not as much...Panarin would be pricey but he’s one of the best at his position no doubt, Duchene fits today’s NHL with his small frame and elite speed...not sure I’d want him though.   Bobrovsky is the real prize if he’s still available...EK will want 10plus, too much...hope he signs in SJ and becomes an anchor for them.

37 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Offer sheet Mathews at $13M for 7 years. 

If we get him, we just landed one of the top 2 forwards in the league.  If we don't, we majorly screw Toronto's new dynasty plans.  

You understand thst Matthews would actually have to SIGN to offer sheet right?  People always seem to overlook that tiny detail when they dream up these “ Lets screw this team” scenarios 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

You understand thst Matthews would actually have to SIGN to offer sheet right?  People always seem to overlook that tiny detail when they dream up these “ Lets screw this team” scenarios 

First off.. .you need to acquire a sense of humour. Secondly, of course he has to sign it but with what we have stock piled here, there is a chance he might.  It's all hypothetical and open to some exaggeration.

We should definitely NOT target 4th line/5th-8th defense vets with term and $$$ anyway.

JB hasn't tried to bring in top talent through free agency yet (or at least I hope he hasn't). He's beginning to run out of time to get us back to winning (we're 5 years in and getting worse if anything). It'll be interesting to see if and when he decides to go all in.

13 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

We need wingers and if a good solid top 4 D man is out there, but NOT Karlsson. I think Hughes will be our offensive defenceman and dam good one at that. No need to waist money on Karlsson, we need the money for other palyers

Archived