The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Zach Hyman suspended 2 games

38 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is the new bad hit.  The blind side when the player isn't ready or braced for the hit.  I think it is very likely to result in a concussion.  We see it here, we also saw it against Tom Wilson the other night and Alex Edler the week before.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This is the new bad hit.  The blind side when the player isn't ready or braced for the hit.  I think it is very likely to result in a concussion.  We see it here, we also saw it against Tom Wilson the other night and Alex Edler the week before.

This. Reeves on Eddy is nothing, zero, not even a penalty. Yet Hyman gets two games. 

1 hour ago, 406in604 said:

What did Reaves get for his blind side on Tom Wilson? I agree with you. 

The league is figuring this type of hit out.  At least, I hope they are because it's the next best thing to a direct head shot.  Look at how the head snaps when a player isn't ready for it.

16 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The league is figuring this type of hit out.  At least, I hope they are because it's the next best thing to a direct head shot.  Look at how the head snaps when a player isn't ready for it.

Agreed. However, Reaves on Wilson 'appears' to be Wilson is a repeater, so no issues.

What a stupid play. This is the guy they kept over Leivo? Thanks Toronto.

Charlie Mac is just coming off a concussion, no? Hopefully he’s okay. It was definitely a predatory play. Hyman knew exactly who he was hitting and the position McAvoy was in. This could have been incredibly bad for McAvoy, if it isn’t already.

People need to forget about blindside as a type of hit. It's no longer specifically in the rulebook. Instead, always consider if a player is eligible to be hit, and if so, is the hit legal otherwise (not a hit from behind, boarding, hit to the head, etc. - or in this case, interference by virtue of being late). The video even says that it isn't about an unsuspecting player being hit, but rather than this was extremely late. It's one of the latest hits I've seen in awhile, where Reeves' hit on Wilson is not as late as this one. Reeves hit on Edler isn't anything to do with being late (again, or blindside) and we're implying intent to hit rather than just accidental contact. Don't forget the NHL has to find a way to make a suspension stick, where a player can't appeal it for a plausible reason.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

What a stupid play. This is the guy they kept over Leivo? Thanks Toronto.

Charlie Mac is just coming off a concussion, no? Hopefully he’s okay. It was definitely a predatory play. Hyman knew exactly who he was hitting and the position McAvoy was in. This could have been incredibly bad for McAvoy, if it isn’t already.

Yes - he missed 20 games with a concussion.  He's okay and was able to play last night vs Ottawa.  

Archived