The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] TANEV to toronto

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

If we KNOW that he wants to leave, that a different story. I'll take the Missouri option ( show me ! ) on his intentions as I have no little birdie convincing me that he wants to go home. If all we can expect, is one year, then we have to weigh our options. His value mentoring Hughes/ Juolevi should not be undersold ! If he does want to leave, surely JB would be aware of that. Our right side will look abysmal without him.

I think the Canucks are comfortable playing Hughes on the right should it work out that way and there's also the possibility of signing a Myers, Karlsson etc.

I think if they can get value, they shouldn't hesitate to move him given where the team is in their cycle.

8 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Other than Stetcher and Gudbranson the Canucks are pretty thin on the right side.  Biega could play a bottom 6 role but after that the depth is zilch.  Cant imagine the Canucks trade Tanev unless they get a young RD in return

Hughes, Pouliot, Tryamkin, Chatfield, Brisebois, McEnneny etc all can/do play right side.

There's also UFA's.

14 hours ago, billabong said:

TO is gonna swing for pietrangelo 

it just seems like a good fit and tor has the assets to make it work if stl takes on Zaitsevs contract who is having an awful year 

and how would they Pietrangelo, Marner, mathews, reilly, Nylander, Andersen etc etc?

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

and how would they Pietrangelo, Marner, mathews, reilly, Nylander, Andersen etc etc?

AP is signed for this year plus next just like Tanev and is only $2m more in cap. The Leafs could swing that for 2 years with the cap going up by $4m next season. A healthy AP can do more to help a team win the Cup than a healthy Chris Tanev can. Definitely worth the extra $2m, especially with some of these trade scenarios people are coming up with. The Blues are injured and under-achieving KK, TL and a 1st would likely get AP and like I said I feel he can contribute more than Tanev to a Cup run.

45 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Figuring it out this year means more value back for you. Tanev 50% retained is worth a lot more for 1.5 years for a cap strapped team then .5 of a season.

Yep, but unless we get the right value, we are not gonna blow up our defense just to get a marginally better value. 
Value is so situational - right now Tanev could be worth less than in 1 year, if he has a good 2-3 months leading to the playoffs next year and we find a team in dominant position who's best shotblocking defenceman is out for 3 months. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

Yep, but unless we get the right value, we are not gonna blow up our defense just to get a marginally better value. 
Value is so situational - right now Tanev could be worth less than in 1 year, if he has a good 2-3 months leading to the playoffs next year and we find a team in dominant position who's best shotblocking defenceman is out for 3 months. 

Tanev is far more valuable to us as a veteran partner for Hughes I'm hoping we can trad Edler to Edmonton for their 1st, and then watch them fall apart so we get a 2nd lotto pick.

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

AP is signed for this year plus next just like Tanev and is only $2m more in cap. The Leafs could swing that for 2 years with the cap going up by $4m next season. A healthy AP can do more to help a team win the Cup than a healthy Chris Tanev can. Definitely worth the extra $2m, especially with some of these trade scenarios people are coming up with. The Blues are injured and under-achieving KK, TL and a 1st would likely get AP and like I said I feel he can contribute more than Tanev to a Cup run.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Tanev is far more valuable to us as a veteran partner for Hughes I'm hoping we can trad Edler to Edmonton for their 1st, and then watch them fall apart so we get a 2nd lotto pick.

Thats a mighty IF - IF tanev wants to sign here after next year. 

I suspect Toronto is gonna try and off-load Zaitsev and given Tanev's inclination towards the golden horseshoe, he may not be averse to a long term pay-cut contract with them for a chance at the cup and playing at home. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Had that same crazy wish with the Avs. Pick the pocket of a US franchise(for once!)

Then Edler sign back with us :^) for a couple more yrs

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Thats a mighty IF - IF tanev wants to sign here after next year. 

I suspect Toronto is gonna try and off-load Zaitsev and given Tanev's inclination towards the golden horseshoe, he may not be averse to a long term pay-cut contract with them for a chance at the cup and playing at home. 

when has Tanev ever indicated he wanted to play for TO? for all we know, he wants nothing to do with home town pressure. He might be happy to go for one more run with this team too.

Regardless, I just don't think Dubas is going to offer anything close to full value so even if its just for one year, I'd like to see Hughes with Tanev for the development benefit.

53 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Other than Stetcher and Gudbranson the Canucks are pretty thin on the right side.  Biega could play a bottom 6 role but after that the depth is zilch.  Cant imagine the Canucks trade Tanev unless they get a young RD in return

That's part of the problem for Toronto - not really having the right assets to get a deal done.    As much as I might like a young winger like Kapanen, he's not exactly a principal need of this franchise.  If they want to offer value in a form that doesn't necessarily make sense, they should expect to pay that much more.  Otherwise, as @SingleThorn points out, Tanev certainly has value to us moving forward as a partner to a young D like Juolevi, while enabling the team to maintain another shutdown pairing (Gud's).

Teams like Tampa are in a far greater position of strength/wealth to get this kind of deal done - and could/would want to return a contract (like Coburn's) in a deal - who could enhance the remaining return/value in this type of deal.   They also have some wealth in terms of youth (ie Foote, Cernak) - and would have an additional interest in spurning Leaf attempts to upgrade their own bluleine (at the very least you could probably expect Tampa to weigh in and drive up the prices for a rival...).

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

when has Tanev ever indicated he wanted to play for TO? for all we know, he wants nothing to do with home town pressure. He might be happy to go for one more run with this team too.

Regardless, I just don't think Dubas is going to offer anything close to full value so even if its just for one year, I'd like to see Hughes with Tanev for the development benefit.

Well so much consistent Tanev to Toronto rumors of the years makes me think he is at least not dead-set against the hometown pressure, else he'd most likely have asked his agent to put a stop that speculation at the very least. 

But yes, the smart approach would be to wait and see next year/this summer if Tanev is not dealt and Canucks likely start up extension talks with him. 

I don't think Hughes- even if he plays the NHL next season- is going to play a full season's worth. Atleast, thats not how the management will build the team. They will most likely take the approach they did with EP - which is cover your bases, have the requisite # of defensemen to not count on QH and if QH shows he belongs, he pushes out one of the guys. This is the same thing we did with EP, where we started the year with 4 centers, despite EP being considered as 'if he plays, he will play center' ( Bo, Sutter, Beagle and Granny). 

So realistically, for QH's development, we'd need at-least two seasons with a shut-down D for him to truly learn and thrive. 

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's part of the problem for Toronto - not really having the right assets to get a deal done.    As much as I might like a young winger like Kapanen, he's not exactly a principal need of this franchise.  If they want to offer value in a form that doesn't necessarily make sense, they should expect to pay that much more.  Otherwise, as @SingleThorn points out, Tanev certainly has value to us moving forward as a partner to a young D like Juolevi, while enabling the team to maintain another shutdown pairing (Gud's).

Teams like Tampa are in a far greater position of strength/wealth to get this kind of deal done - and could/would want to return a contract (like Coburn's) in a deal - who could enhance the remaining return/value in this type of deal.   They also have some wealth in terms of youth (ie Foote, Cernak) - and would have an additional interest in spurning Leaf attempts to upgrade their own bluleine (at the very least you could probably expect Tampa to weigh in and drive up the prices for a rival...).

Look at it this way - currently we have 8M in cap-space, that is likely to grow to 12M with the limit going up next season. For the next season, our major expense will be Boeser, who i see going for 6-7M range. Edler, 2nd goalie, the smaller 'meats and potatoes cogs' etc. will all more or less go for the same value, which yeilds us anowhere between 5-6 million in cap space.

We also have a bunch of ELCs in the mix, who we can 'temporarily demote' for opening night to meet the 23 players quota. 

What i am getting at, is if we are willing to eat Horton's cap-hit for even one year along with throw Tanev in the mix, that can definitely land us a blue-chip prospect or a round1, given that Toronto does not have that much wiggle room for ELC players in their mix (they will only have 1 guy on waiver-exempt for next season, meaning, Horton's spot is going to matter to them dearly before season-opener day).

Archived