The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] TANEV to toronto

1 minute ago, Freeridebc said:

If his season ends early in the NCAA Hughes will play this year. I'll bet on it. His hockey sense and QB capabilities is beyond needed on our back end.

I'm hoping he goes all the way to the frozen 4 and runs out of time to play in the NHL this season. Will literally save us a spot on the Seattle expansion list. 

40 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I'm hoping he goes all the way to the frozen 4 and runs out of time to play in the NHL this season. Will literally save us a spot on the Seattle expansion list. 

Not if he plays pro next year it won't.  Two full seasons of 19-20 and 20-21 will qualify him for expansion draft.

Tanev is exactly what TO needs. We dont need to trade Tanev and I'm not even sure we should. When I look at both teams needs and what could be offered, if I was JB I'd say Kappanen and their first. It's a late first so not huge value to it. Take it or leave it. JB should only do this if we can flip Kappanen for a good prospect dman or a first. When I look at other options like Pietrangelo, he would cost a lot more than Kappenen and a first. Take it or leave it. 

54 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That's true. I'm hoping we bribe them with picks to take a less desirable.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Complete hearsay but a little birdie told me he has no plans to re-sign and wants to play out East, closer to home. 

It's not a matter of if but when IMO. 

Then again, who knows... maybe EP40 this year and Hughes next year will make him reconsider his options. But frankly I'd prefer to get value for him if/when we can. If that's this year to TOR with their pressure to compete NOW (though I don't see a lot there in prospects I really want), great.

I agree.  Plus it seems Tanev is on the downswing.  I think we see him traded at the deadline.  If so, it will be pretty interesting to see what he fetches .  

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

AP is signed for this year plus next just like Tanev and is only $2m more in cap. The Leafs could swing that for 2 years with the cap going up by $4m next season. A healthy AP can do more to help a team win the Cup than a healthy Chris Tanev can. Definitely worth the extra $2m, especially with some of these trade scenarios people are coming up with. The Blues are injured and under-achieving KK, TL and a 1st would likely get AP and like I said I feel he can contribute more than Tanev to a Cup run.

I agree Pietrangelo is the better player. But I dont see the Blues giving him up for that. It's a decent package but Pietrangelo is a legit top two right side dman. If Pietrangelo were Canuck property I would want more for him than that.

25 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

That's true. I'm hoping we bribe them with picks to take a less desirable.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/6/21/15835324/nhl-expansion-draft-2017-trades-vegas-golden-knights-roster

It would appear every trade made to ensure a certain player get taken or to ensure more players wouldn't be taken favoured Vegas. The only deal that doesn't seem too bad was the Carolina deal, but I don't know who they were really trying to protect there. I can't really see any of our 8th best forward or 4th best dman and on having enough value (or being irreplaceable) to need to sway Seattle from picking someone up. Let them pick whoever and if they pan out for them, then good on them, but we don't need to add insult to injury to ourselves in the process.

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

This is the same thing we did with EP, where we started the year with 4 centers, despite EP being considered as 'if he plays, he will play center' ( Bo, Sutter, Beagle and Granny). 

Granlund (not dissimilar to the waived Gagner) is a converted winger who can occasionally fill in at C. He's been forced (out of position) to playing C this year because of injuries.

You'll note that when Beagle came back, Guadette was kept at C and Granlund moved back to wing (until Guadette got sick anyway).

Just now, aGENT said:

Granlund (not dissimilar to the waived Gagner) is a converted winger who can occasionally fill in at C. He's been forced (out of position) to playing C this year because of injuries.

You'll note that when Beagle came back, Guadette was kept at C and Granlund moved back to wing (until Guadette got sick anyway).

Yep. My point though, is that while the management said they want EP to play center, fully expected him to be in the  playing 12, they still took precautions of it not working out/happening, by having experienced bodies to make up the 20 players we need at bare minimum to field a team. 

I am simply pointing out, that even if management thinks that QH is going to be making the team next year (assuming he wants to, as in, signs), they are still going to have six NHL experienced defencemen at the bare minimum, hoping QH pushes one out over time.

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yep. My point though, is that while the management said they want EP to play center, fully expected him to be in the  playing 12, they still took precautions of it not working out/happening, by having experienced bodies to make up the 20 players we need at bare minimum to field a team. 

I am simply pointing out, that even if management thinks that QH is going to be making the team next year (assuming he wants to, as in, signs), they are still going to have six NHL experienced defencemen at the bare minimum, hoping QH pushes one out over time.

Agreed. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Replied to your other thread FYI ;) 

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Figuring it out this year means more value back for you. Tanev 50% retained is worth a lot more for 1.5 years for a cap strapped team then .5 of a season.

Yep, if indeeed we think we want to move on and remain firmly out of playoff contention,  between now and the deadline is the time to move him and maximize value.

Tanev at $2.25 million cap hit for this season and next  is ridiculously good for a contender.  Even if he has an injury history.  Where else can you get a guy that can slot into your first pairing if needed, and be perfect insurance in case of injury to other guys.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Not if he plays pro next year it won't.  Two full seasons of 19-20 and 20-21 will qualify him for expansion draft.

Apparently not, last time the guys who were just finishing their second year were exempt.

According to the TSN guys, if Hughes plays 9 games or less this season he is still exempt from expansion.... more than that and he needs a spot.

19 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

They are in a win now mode

the pressures on them. You don’t move Tanev unless it’s for really good

to TO

Tanev

Goldobin

to VAN

zaitsev (cap dump)

kapanen

lindjgren 

Err, if they want a cap-dump, we are better off taking Horton. Zaitsev is their only RD who plays a lot of PK times and eats defensive zone coverage. Hainsey is old and is driving the offense on their right side. Pretty sure they'd like to bolster their defence for a deep cup run, than a small improvement by switching out Zaitsev for Tanev.

Archived