The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Datsyuk under rated?

Gator

I disliked Datsyuk for a good while because he was so good. That whole Detroit team I disliked early. Mostly cause they always trashed Vancouver. As I got older I started to really appreciate how good they were. Datsyuk is arguably one of the best centers to ever play. I'd very likely have him in my top 10-15. 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I disliked Datsyuk for a good while because he was so good. That whole Detroit team I disliked early. Mostly cause they always trashed Vancouver. As I got older I started to really appreciate how good they were. Datsyuk is arguably one of the best centers to ever play. I'd very likely have him in my top 10-15. 

Great player for sure.  He was thought to be too small.  Ha Ha. He sure put that to rest.  He was like Federov.  He could do it all.  I'm sure he would have been their second best D man to Lidstrom if he played D.  

If anything Pavel is overrated... All I've ever heard on TV or from people is that he's so underrated... yea he was amazing during his prime

People always pump his tires.

That being said, I think he would have had slightly better numbers if he played in todays NHL as a 20 year old... instead of his 35 point rookie season he would probably be like 50 points.

Not EP40 level though.

• 2 months later...

He was quiet about his work and that's why he wasn't really talked about but he certainly was not overrated. On the grand scheme of the NHL, he would probably be equivalent to a Hejduk, Hossa, or Selanne area.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, apollo said:

If anything Pavel is overrated... All I've ever heard on TV or from people is that he's so underrated... yea he was amazing during his prime

People always pump his tires.

That being said, I think he would have had slightly better numbers if he played in todays NHL as a 20 year old... instead of his 35 point rookie season he would probably be like 50 points.

Not EP40 level though.

I thought Apollo Creed was overrated.  Couldn’t handle a no talent southpaw.:P

On 12/12/2018 at 10:06 PM, -AJ- said:

He had a lot of skill, but his numbers, while impressive, weren't out of this world.

To be fair it's because he was arguably the best 2 way centre of his era. People like to look back at Datsyuk as an offensive dynamo, but really he was so good because of how defensively sound he was. It wasn't about his points, it was what he did away from the puck while still being able to put up 1st line numbers that was so amazing.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:52 PM, RRypien37 said:

Pure puck handling/skills wise he was one of the greats and one of my personal favourite players ever. 

Yep.

Here is another puck handling wizard

He had a lot of skill, but his numbers, while impressive, weren't out of this world.

I watched Datsyuk live, twice and he was incredible. Numbers aren't everything but he had the puck on a string whenever guys tried to check him and the guy was relentless backchecking. His hand eye was out of this world. Watching Datsyuk was almost an honor, its like you were in the presence of greatness watching him play

4 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I watched Datsyuk live, twice and he was incredible. Numbers aren't everything but he had the puck on a string whenever guys tried to check him and the guy was relentless backchecking. His hand eye was out of this world. Watching Datsyuk was almost an honor, its like you were in the presence of greatness watching him play

On 12/12/2018 at 8:26 PM, Sergei Shirokov said:

He was very underrated early on. By mid way through the career, people we're seeing that he was most of the most valuable players in the league.

I can see why hes' underrated. Guys like Malkin Ovechkin Crosby, Stamkos took a lot of the spotlight, and Datyuk kind of got lost in the shadows with Zetterberg. All time, Datsyuk is probably top 5 - 7 puck handling. From the players I've watched, its Lemieux, Forsberg, Datsyuk, Gretzky in my book

He was the best 2 way C in the NHL for many many years. So it wasn't just points he was putting up. 

Dats won the Selke 3 seasons in a row. 

One of the best players ever to play the game.  

Archived