The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Washington - Vancouver

Simple trade

Burakovsky (3 M -1 yr) for Scaller 50% (1.9M -2yr)

Multi trade

Burakovsky + 2019 1st for Edler 50% + Schaller 50%

Why does Washington do this? Washington does the 2nd one, as it puts a 2nd line defenseman and a Eastern Grinder on a cup run.

Vancouver does this as Schaller isn't exactly impressing, and Washington will not want to re-sign Edler after the cup run, Edler resigns and we get a late 1st for it

Burakovsky certainly has top 6 potential, but appears to be struggling this year.  I'm not sure the Canucks would want to give up on Goldy quite yet, as he has been improving this year; especially his d game (which is a knock on Burakovsky).  Goldy is more of a playmaker, whilst Burakovsky is a goal scorer.  Same age; both pending RFAs at end of season.

The Caps love this trade; especially with the 50% off sale.  Burakovsky is playing on their 3rd line, which is a dreadful spot for an offensive player lacking d skills.  He's another project type with solid upside.

I like this trade and would love to pick up that 1st overall.

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Burakovsky certainly has top 6 potential, but appears to be struggling this year.  I'm not sure the Canucks would want to give up on Goldy quite yet, as he has been improving this year; especially his d game (which is a knock on Burakovsky).  Goldy is more of a playmaker, whilst Burakovsky is a goal scorer.  Same age; both pending RFAs at end of season.

The Caps love this trade; especially with the 50% off sale.  Burakovsky is playing on their 3rd line, which is a dreadful spot for an offensive player lacking d skills.  He's another project type with solid upside.

I like this trade and would love to pick up that 1st overall.

Here is what I am thinking…...

We would have Burakovsky, Baertschi, Goldobin and Dahlen all fighting for the 2 LW offensive spots...….I agree with you that Goldy and Burakovsky are much the same, and I think you dangle one out to Carolina and Phili, who needs offense...…..

Anyway you look at it, it is a good situation to be in, and allows us a lot of options....to me this is the way you use you cap to the maximum...….short term retention, an excess player at some point (meaning one of the 4 LWers), and a returning asset in Edler in the summer...……..

the final return??????

Washington 1st

Phili's 2nd or Carolina's 2nd or maybe a bigger deal involving Fox?

For what we would give up......I am all in!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is what I am thinking…...

We would have Burakovsky, Baertschi, Goldobin and Dahlen all fighting for the 2 LW offensive spots...….I agree with you that Goldy and Burakovsky are much the same, and I think you dangle one out to Carolina and Phili, who needs offense...…..

Anyway you look at it, it is a good situation to be in, and allows us a lot of options....to me this is the way you use you cap to the maximum...….short term retention, an excess player at some point (meaning one of the 4 LWers), and a returning asset in Edler in the summer...……..

the final return??????

Washington 1st

Phili's 2nd or Carolina's 2nd or maybe a bigger deal involving Fox?

For what we would give up......I am all in!

It would be a tough job stealing that 1st rounder from Tampa as they would likely lose Eddie at the end of their playoff run and end up with just 1 year of Schaller.  I think they want a better player that Schaller.

I like the idea of the 3rd line being an offensive line.......  Baer    Gaud    Eriks

and then a very tough, defensive 4th line with.........Roussel   Beagle    Motte

Not sure what happens with Granny/Leivo/Gody & Burakovsky ; have to wait to see how the season goes.  Lots of depth and options though.

30 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It would be a tough job stealing that 1st rounder from Tampa as they would likely lose Eddie at the end of their playoff run and end up with just 1 year of Schaller.  I think they want a better player that Schaller.

I like the idea of the 3rd line being an offensive line.......  Baer    Gaud    Eriks

and then a very tough, defensive 4th line with.........Roussel   Beagle    Motte

Not sure what happens with Granny/Leivo/Gody & Burakovsky ; have to wait to see how the season goes.  Lots of depth and options though.

The reason I actually think it is good for Washington is for that very reason, as they have some cap trouble

Tampa?

I did forget about Leivo though

It's a lot of mid 2/3 type of LWers isn't it

28 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The reason I actually think it is good for Washington is for that very reason, as they have some cap trouble

Tampa?

I did forget about Leivo though

It's a lot of mid 2/3 type of LWers isn't it

Yeah.  Suddenly we're overflowing with LW guys. lol

If only we could say the same for RD eh?

I have to admit that I'm kind of worried about Baer and all those concussions.  Love his game, but really don't want to see him ruin his future. It will be quite a challenge for the remaining LW to win the position(s) that they all want.

41 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah.  Suddenly we're overflowing with LW guys. lol

If only we could say the same for RD eh?

I have to admit that I'm kind of worried about Baer and all those concussions.  Love his game, but really don't want to see him ruin his future. It will be quite a challenge for the remaining LW to win the position(s) that they all want.

Well, first thing is we make that trade...…….then we have Baertschi, Leivo, Burakovski, Goldobin, and Dahlen. Let Benning figure out that...……..

Then Sign Erik Karlsson, Bring back Tryamkin, Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher, and Woo all on RHD

Re-sign Edler in the Summer, get rid of MDZ and Pouliot at the TDL, Hutton, bring in Hughes, and Juolevi, and have Brisebois and Rathbone in the wings

Then we have our 1st (12 OA)?, Washington 1st (28th OA)?, Our 2nd (43rd)….let Benning do his magic

(pick the French kid Lavoie (C/LW), Korczak (RHD), and a goalie (with our 43rd...…..)

It is not that much of a stretch...…………………….I don't see your problem....lol

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Gaudette and Baer had no chemistry.  They don't think the game the same way.  Gaudette is also not a finisher and he's not a set-up guy.  

23 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Simple trade

Burakovsky (3 M -1 yr) for Scaller 50% (1.9M -2yr)

Multi trade

Burakovsky + 2019 1st for Edler 50% + Schaller 50%

Why does Washington do this? Washington does the 2nd one, as it puts a 2nd line defenseman and a Eastern Grinder on a cup run.

Vancouver does this as Schaller isn't exactly impressing, and Washington will not want to re-sign Edler after the cup run, Edler resigns and we get a late 1st for it

In hindsight Washington thought they were dumb to trade for Shattenkirk.  McLellan last year was saying that more often than not these deadline deals hurt team chemistry.  Last TDL he decided to only go after players that fill holes and not add guys who would disrupt their lineup.  They added Kempny because he was filling a need and they thought he could help them longer term - they signed him to a 4 year deal and he only cost them a 3rd round pick.  

Also more and more teams are no longer thinking top-6 but top-9 with the 3rd line moving down to the 4th line.  Hitch last week was saying you can't win in this league with a 4th line.  

This deal would disrupt their lineup to find a spot for Edler and Schaller doesn't even bring speed or fill a need.  

9 hours ago, mll said:

In hindsight Washington thought they were dumb to trade for Shattenkirk.  McLellan last year was saying that more often than not these deadline deals hurt team chemistry.  Last TDL he decided to only go after players that fill holes and not add guys who would disrupt their lineup.  They added Kempny because he was filling a need and they thought he could help them longer term - they signed him to a 4 year deal and he only cost them a 3rd round pick.  

Also more and more teams are no longer thinking top-6 but top-9 with the 3rd line moving down to the 4th line.  Hitch last week was saying you can't win in this league with a 4th line.  

This deal would disrupt their lineup to find a spot for Edler and Schaller doesn't even bring speed or fill a need.  

Washington has absolutely no cap, and both Edler and Shaller give them depth...…..Shaller gives them a poor mans Beagle

As for the Shattenkirk trade......they won the cup

They are in thick with Toronto and Tampa...this is how cup are won

Washingtons player losses over the summer weakened them...they take the deal

As for us, we are still rebuilding and we can have Edler back in the summer, Schaller isn't what we need, we have enough wingers that can play his role until the end of the season....

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Washington has absolutely no cap, and both Edler and Shaller give them depth...…..Shaller gives them a poor mans Beagle

As for the Shattenkirk trade......they won the cup

They are in thick with Toronto and Tampa...this is how cup are won

Washingtons player losses over the summer weakened them...they take the deal

As for us, we are still rebuilding and we can have Edler back in the summer, Schaller isn't what we need, we have enough wingers that can play his role until the end of the season....

They didn't win with Shattenkirk.  They won by keeping their chemistry intact.  Holtby and Oshie were saying that this year was different - they weren't as skilled but this time they really wanted to sacrifice for each other.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Washington - Vancouver

Archived