Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Petrus Palmu to HC TPS (Liiga)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Good for him. No need to rush him here. He can go have success somewhere familiar. He can be a longer term project for us and plus, now he knows what he needs to work on.

 

 

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Struggled more than I hoped he would in Utica. My expectations are dramatically lowered for now.

Definitely agree with both assessments. Originally anticipated for him to make the jump into the next step and transition to consistency in the AHL but it really hasn't been there for Palmu. However, him going back to familiar territory should help him pick his game back up.

 

He has a taste of what is to be expected and going off his tenacity, I think he will find his stride for the next time he plays on North American ice again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

6th round overager pick, what expectations did you have?

Because of his size. If you watch him play he definitely has skill. His shot is wicked. Guess the NA transition isn't going as smoothly as hoped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

Because of his size. If you watch him play he definitely has skill. His shot is wicked. Guess the NA transition isn't going as smoothly as hoped.

The point is there shouldn't be much expectation for him really. If he even amounts to be a career AHLer, it would be a success. Not really much to be disappointed about even if he never figures it out in NA. Those attributes are why it was a good risk to draft and see if we can develop him further, but he needs a lot of development and this is just another step towards that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully this does a few things for both Palmu and the rest of the Canuck prospect pool:

  • Demonstrate that there are development options that go beyond the AHL
  • The AHL is an elite level professional league and if you are pretty much "nearly" NHL ready, it will eat you alive.

I think many fans can learn from the second bullet too.   I see so many people talking about the AHL as if it was akin to weekend Rec Hockey with slightly better skaters.   A line-up of the AHL all-stars could compete well in the NHL....certainly not for a playoff spot but they would be competitive.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@UticaHockey what was your assessment of Palmu with the 12 games you saw from him?

 

Lots of media criticizing Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull of this mismanagement of Palmu's.  May be perhaps some fault in that, but my hunch says also that Palmu didn't do much to prove himself or seize opportunities when given.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

@UticaHockey what was your assessment of Palmu with the 12 games you saw from him?

 

Lots of media criticizing Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull of this mismanagement of Palmu's.  May be perhaps some fault in that, but my hunch says also that Palmu didn't do much to prove himself or seize opportunities when given.

 

 

He just didn't stand out when he played.  I agree with some of the posters that said the last game he played was probably his best but overall he was not very noticeable.  He was getting some time on the power play second unit in an effort to put him into scoring positions but it didn't work out.  At 5'6" you can't expect him to win many puck battles, and he didn't, so he needs to show some offensive flair which again he wasn't.  I would have liked to see him get in a few more games but I don't see how he looks in practice (along with those on Twitter criticizing Cull & Johnson).  If he was having the same issues in practice that he was having in games that would explain why he didn't play much.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

He just didn't stand out when he played.  I agree with some of the posters that said the last game he played was probably his best but overall he was not very noticeable.  He was getting some time on the power play second unit in an effort to put him into scoring positions but it didn't work out.  At 5'6" you can't expect him to win many puck battles, and he didn't, so he needs to show some offensive flair which again he wasn't.  I would have liked to see him get in a few more games but I don't see how he looks in practice (along with those on Twitter criticizing Cull & Johnson).  If he was having the same issues in practice that he was having in games that would explain why he didn't play much.  

Thanks for the insight.

 

I think part of the challenge for fans is that "development" means something very different to fans than it does with management.  In the summer, I think fans (like myself) were looking forward to seeing the Comets roll out lines filled with prospects like Palmu where they would be given the opportunity to make mistakes and learn the ropes of the professional North American game.  The criticism comes when the team instead seems to play veterans over the prospects taking away opportunities for those prospects to grow.

 

From a team management standpoint, I could see why they want to play veterans if it meant that the team had a better overall compete level and improved their ability to win.  I guess the troubling part with the Comets is that even while playing veterans over prospects, they have struggled this season (albeit while dealing with a lot of injuries and call ups).  In that case, I do question what the harm would be with playing the prospects.  I get that there's some desire to protect the prospects from getting buried or having their confidence tanked by over exposure, but being too protective seems like it could be counter productive too.

 

I agree though that without following the team super closely to know what's going on in practices and in games, it's hard to truly fault anyone.

 

Hopefully Palmu can tear it up in Liiga and come back on fire next summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...