The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Win-Van

Winnipeg receives                Edler + Granlund

Canucks receive                   Kulikov(cap dump) + 1st + Luke Green

Why Winnipeg does this?  Edler would have a major stabilizing effect on their back end and slot right into their top or second pairing. Granlund brings depth, a scoring touch and generally good defensive play (plus it looks like he needs a change in scenery).

Canucks take an often injured overpaid LD that can add veteran leadership next season, if he plays well this season, OR can be waived to Utica next season making room for Juolevi, Hughes, Brisebois, McEneny, Sautner. 

Canucks get a low first round pick in which they can acquire one of the right shot D that should be there. Victor Soderstrom, Moritz Seider, Kaedan Korczak, Lassi Thomson, Hugo Has.

Luke Green also has potential but had a bad shoulder injury last year and isn't an absolute guarantee to translate to the NHL yet is still a quality prospect.

If Winnipeg is still high on Kulikov this trade could still work without him because of Winnipeg's remaining cap 

Who says no? Or is it a fairly even trade?

Big NO from me.  We are going to need Edler's size on D for the next few years.  I say we extend him.  I like Granlund too.  He's a player who can play lots of roles and move up and down the line-up when injuries happen.  Winnipeg will finish top 8, or even top 4 again this season, so their first will be a really low one.  Granny, who is still young, will likely be a better player than that late first.  

I've had a similar idea in my mind for a while:

To WPG: Del Zotto + 4th 2019

To VAN: Kulikov + 2nd 2019

It's essentially Winnipeg downgrading picks to help out with their cap this summer. They get a warm body roster replacement and extra cap space at the price of a pick downgrade. 

Your trade is a bigger version of this. Winnipeg isn't known for making significant deals (excluding the Kane trade because that was a unique situation), but it sounds like a decent idea if they wanted to really load up this year. I'm not sure how good Green is to comment on the value, but solid basis. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big NO from me.  We are going to need Edler's size on D for the next few years.  I say we extend him.  I like Granlund too.  He's a player who can play lots of roles and move up and down the line-up when injuries happen.  Winnipeg will finish top 8, or even top 4 again this season, so their first will be a really low one.  Granny, who is still young, will likely be a better player than that late first.  

I appreciate keeping Edler around but he could be resigned next season after this year. In the end we could really use the assets he could garner for us.

Definitely disagree with you on Granlund. He's a third pairing guy and Benning has proven he can find NHL calibre talent in that area of the draft. Boeser, Woo, Lind, Demko

Besides you want as many picks as possible to build our young future and guys like Granlund are easily replaceable in the future with either current prospects or future UFAs 

This looks pretty good to me. However would Edler accept, & Kulikov does have a 6-team(NTC)?..are questions that'd have to pass.

Love it if we could snag another 1st, & 1 or 2 2nd's before June. Make this the one(& only) draft where we try to collect 10(or so) picks, then concentrate on growin the crop.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Conditional 1st.  If WPG finishes top 10, deferred to 2020.  They might fall off after this season and cap juggling game starts.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Edler is a free agent at the end of the year. Also a guy that loves Vancouver. If he’d waive for a chance at the Stanley Cup I’d say there’s a very good chance he’s back on the Canucks roster anyway that is if management wants him back. To me sounds like a very few win win scenarios. Rent out Edler for 3 months for a 1rst, prospect and cap dump.

Me personally I love the trade. A place Edler may actually waive to go to as he’s spent time in Winnipeg playing for the Moose. Did he meet his wife there or in Vancouver? That could also be a factor on his decision.

I like the return. Another 1rst rounder with the draft in Vancouver would be awesome! Also I remember really liking Luke Green as a 3rd round pick choice for us in 2016. However I changed my mind on that when Adam Fox was surprisingly still available.

I’d definitely check in to see if Winnipeg would move a disgruntled Kristian Vesalainen.

Archived