The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bucky or Flow ... I misunderstood the question

lmm

Okay, I don't really care if they wear a helmet in practice or not. But I'd side with Horvat if pressed - safety first.

But what is with the helmet nickname of "Bucky"?  Most nicknames for things or team mates are shorter, and easier to pronounce than the original. Makes sense for a fast paced game like Hockey. But how is "bucky" any shorter or easier to say than "bucket"? 

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Okay, I don't really care if they wear a helmet in practice or not. But I'd side with Horvat if pressed - safety first.

But what is with the helmet nickname of "Bucky"?  Most nicknames for things or team mates are shorter, and easier to pronounce than the original. Makes sense for a fast paced game like Hockey. But how is "bucky" any shorter or easier to say than "bucket"? 

Just common these days to add 'y' to the end of words, even if it doesn't shorten them (ex. why Petey not Pete? It actually makes the nickname longer). 

Bucket is already slang though so Bucky is pretty stupid.. 

5 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Just common these days to add 'y' to the end of words, even if it doesn't shorten them (ex. why Petey not Pete? It actually makes the nickname longer). 

Bucket is already slang though so Bucky is pretty stupid.. 

Well, actually "Pete" is harder to say than "Petey".   The hard T is not required with Petey.  It flows better.  That's why bucket is just as easy to say as bucky. Like you say, bucket is already a slang for helmet.  Bucky sounds like what a toddler would call it.  "Mommy why does shotgun Jake not wear his bucky?"

56 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

That ain't nice! Good to have one goofy, carefree sort, to lighten the mood of the room.

Hutty for President!

I feel like his team mates laugh at him, instead of with him. He's a bit of a clown, so I guess that keeps things light in the room. The way he talks about his "flow" and pleasing his fans etc. Please. No one's looking at your haircut Hutty. Boeser really impresses me. He's easily got the best hair, but knows safety comes first. Smart kid.   

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I feel like his team mates laugh at him, instead of with him. He's a bit of a clown, so I guess that keeps things light in the room. The way he talks about his "flow" and pleasing his fans etc. Please. No one's looking at your haircut Hutty. Boeser really impresses me. He's easily got the best hair, but knows safety comes first. Smart kid.   

I'd heartily agree..but then there's a catch. I saw that kid go all-in & rumble with DPS last yr. I think when chips are down(& a teammate would need backing) BH would be in like a dirty shirt!

He's gritty/goofy as some team's mascot!(don't anyone post THAT photo!). I'd say this lighthearted bloke makes fun of himself, cos he knows he's no Tyler Durden.

But Hutty knows the rules of fight club, eh?

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Well, actually "Pete" is harder to say than "Petey".   The hard T is not required with Petey.  It flows better.  That's why bucket is just as easy to say as bucky. Like you say, bucket is already a slang for helmet.  Bucky sounds like what a toddler would call it.  "Mommy why does shotgun Jake not wear his bucky?"

Harder to say maybe, but you were talking about shorter.. it's 1 syllable vs 2.. 

Comes out a lot faster when calling for the puck which was your whole point initially :huh:

13 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Harder to say maybe, but you were talking about shorter.. it's 1 syllable vs 2.. 

Comes out a lot faster when calling for the puck which was your whole point initially :huh:

I shouldn't have put it that way. I meant "shorter" in the sense of shorter to implement. ie... Saying Petey is easier than saying Pete, just because of the way you have to create a hard "t" and a slight pause after before finishing your sentence... "pass it here!"

And in contrast, bucket and bucky are equal in the flow department as far as speaking English. I don't really care. This is dumb to spend this much time on it. I'm bored is all.

Just something odd about a situation, say, of a player losing their helmet on the ice and a teammate saying "hey you left your bucky on the ice!" "I think your bucky is not on tight" "does your bucky fit your head"?.... When they could use the adult version just as easily.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hutton's an idiot. That is all.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

He's just joking and having some fun.....

12 minutes ago, J-23 said:

He's just joking and having some fun.....

Oh I know, he's a character for sure, seems like a fun guy to have around. I'm sure they rib each other once in a while and have some laughs. I think one of the funniest clips I've seen is where Hutton is dancing and rolling his arms in a disco way lol

Archived