The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Mitch Eliot

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya, I wouldn't expect much more than that. But I'm not complaining. He's another lottery ticket.

Similar type signing to Sautner 4 years ago.  20 year old, undrafted, playing with the Oil Kings.  Captain too.

5 NHL games, this signing was a win for Jimmy already.

Like a lot of us here,  you gotta trust JB.  

His last grab like this I beleive was Z.macewen..  and by all accounts Z.M. Is progressing very well.

Its these diamonds in the rough that take a little more time to shine, and a keen eye to find.

Good luck to Mr Eliot..  bite down hard on this opportunity,  our future looks bright here in Vancouver, hopefully your a big part of it.

go Sting go.

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

This guy confuses me, how many hockey players do you know leave the team 6 games from the end of the season. I would be very interested in the back story on that one.

A longer season in the CHL perhaps?

The realization of his passion and an opportunity to perhaps go pro with Utica late?

Im sure he’ll be interviewed soon.

6 hours ago, smokes said:

This guy confuses me, how many hockey players do you know leave the team 6 games from the end of the season. I would be very interested in the back story on that one.

you ever have a job where you bust your ass but it never gets appreciated?

might be that

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

I dono who this fella is so I won't judge but why waste one of our 50 contracts on this guy?

Let's count the reasons why ! Utica has 5 Canuck NHL projects going. Juolevi is a special case, so that leaves Brisebois, McEneny, Sautner and Chatfield in the same boat as Eliot. They have huge value to the Canucks, just being NHL ready-ish and a phone call away. Only Brisebois is a draftee. All the others came from signings just like / very similar to the Eliot signing. This type of use of a roster spot does have value !

15 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Kinda surprised they sign this kid but not brassard...

I was thinking the exact same thing as Brassard has looked like a diamond in the rough for a 7th rounder and close to PPG player in the OHL. Yet still unsigned which I find very odd. But not taking anything away from Mitch as we definitely need our D corps of prospects to grow, so free prospect is always good.

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

I was thinking the exact same thing as Brassard has looked like a diamond in the rough for a 7th rounder and close to PPG player in the OHL. Yet still unsigned which I find very odd. But not taking anything away from Mitch as we definitely need our D corps of prospects to grow, so free prospect is always good.

From my understanding he burns a year off his deal. If they signed Brassard after the season they would have him on an entry level contract for an additional season. I still think we see him signed at some point in the offseason, depending on how the draft goes. 

11 hours ago, smokes said:

After working most of his life towards it, and sees it slipping away... a guy gets a last chance to have a pro hockey career and takes it?

Not sure the confusing part.  He is an over age player and may never have another opportunity.  There is no guarantee the chance is there a few weeks later.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

After working most of his life towards it, and sees it slipping away... a guy gets a last chance to have a pro hockey career and takes it?

Not sure the confusing part.  He is an over age player and may never have another opportunity.  There is no guarantee the chance is there a few weeks later.

makes sense

11 hours ago, smokes said:

academic withdrawal?  with most schools there is a time limit somewhere in november where you can withdraw without being given any grades for the fall term.  if you go past that date you get a transcript of f grades which you then have to disclose when applying to another school.  

18 hours ago, clynch said:

May be a good prospect, but why did they sign an undrafted guy to a max deal?

Maybe something to do with the expansion draft in 2 years, more fodder for trades? Even career AHL players are needed to help NHL rookies find their feet.

Maybe trying to get so many dmen that they can push Tryamkin out the door or trade him and then say they have an abundance of dmen they "think" could be better or as good? 

Really the signing makes no sense, where will he fit? Who are they getting rid of? He didn't "cost" a pick or anything so just another asset. Who is his dad? A hockey guy? Old buddy or alumni?

Archived