The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider's Decline

hockeyville88

Anyone been following Cory Schneider's decline?

Maybe the Canucks saw something in him that some of us didn't. Back in the day, I was convinced that he was going to be one of the league's best goalies. He was so structured and poised. Now, on the verge of:

Cory Schneider is on his way to extending his losing streak to 19 games (0-16-3).
Gets pulled 10 minutes into the first period after allowing three goals on seven shots. 

(sorry I'm trying to embed a Tweet and it's not working. My CDC talents are not what they used to be...much like Schneids lol)

And to think there was a time where Luongo lost his job to him. 

1 minute ago, hockeyville88 said:

Maybe the Canucks saw something in him that some of us didn't. Back in the day, I was convinced that he was going to be one of the league's best goalies

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cory Schneider is on his way to extending his losing streak to 19 games (0-16-3). <br><br>Gets pulled 10 minutes into the first period after allowing three goals on seven shots.</p>&mdash; David Satriano (@davidsatriano) <a href="https://twitter.com/davidsatriano/status/1073736836089024518?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 15, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I remember Cory cramping in an important game, and Loui had to come in and save us.  Then Cory said he suffered from anxiety or something.  I think Cory had troubles with the pressure of being the number one on a team that was good.  He did have a couple good seasons in NJ, but their team was terrible, so there was no pressure on him to win.  

I honestly don't wish him ill and don't like seeing him do poorly... he's actually a super nice guy... genuine... etc etc... But I always thought he was beyond overrated.

I personally struggled and still do to this day with anxiety... but my biggest red flag on him was when he got pulled from Game 6 vs Chicago over what is believe to be an anxiety attack. It's happened to me before... and I'm sure it would have %100 happened to me as well on that stage... game 6... NHL playoffs...

That being said, he has 6 million reasons every year not to feel upset or be anxious. But mental health isn't fixed with 6 million dollars a year. It sure helps though. Hopefully he can work on his mental health and get back to being a starting goalie. I could be wrong but I believe this was the same problem with Rick Dipietro

It's a shame we lost a top 5 NHL goalie of all time because of how management thought Cory was better. I totally understand Luongo's frustration and his eventual departure. The nail in the coffin was Torts Heritage debacle... but how Lui was treated by the franchise when they wanted to push Cory was awful :(

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember Cory cramping in an important game, and Loui had to come in and save us.  Then Cory said he suffered from anxiety or something.  I think Cory had troubles with the pressure of being the number one on a team that was good.  He did have a couple good seasons in NJ, but their team was terrible, so there was no pressure on him to win.  

That was game 6 in 2011 against the Hawks after giving up the tying goal on a penalty shot. I think it had to do with "dehydration" (anxiety) in big games. Cory gave up (gave the puck away) a couple stinkers in that game IIRC. Luongo got credited with the loss after Ben Smith scored the O.T. winner.

21 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:

(sorry I'm trying to embed a Tweet and it's not working. My CDC talents are not what they used to be...much like Schneids lol)

Copy tweet link to wordpad.  Cut and paste from there, to here.  Some kind of formatting change magic takes place.

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

I honestly don't wish him ill and don't like seeing him do poorly... he's actually a super nice guy... genuine... etc etc... But I always thought he was beyond overrated.

I personally struggled and still do to this day with anxiety... but my biggest red flag on him was when he got pulled from Game 6 vs Chicago over what is believe to be an anxiety attack. It's happened to me before... and I'm sure it would have %100 happened to me as well on that stage... game 6... NHL playoffs...

That being said, he has 6 million reasons every year not to feel upset or be anxious. But mental health isn't fixed with 6 million dollars a year. It sure helps though. Hopefully he can work on his mental health and get back to being a starting goalie. I could be wrong but I believe this was the same problem with Rick Dipietro

It's a shame we lost a top 5 NHL goalie of all time because of how management thought Cory was better. I totally understand Luongo's frustration and his eventual departure. The nail in the coffin was Torts Heritage debacle... but how Lui was treated by the franchise when they wanted to push Cory was awful :(

well let's not revise history here

schneider was already traded by that game

eddie lack got the start over luongo

yeah.. that eddie.. who cannot get a job in the nhl

while lou just keeps rolling on

will be a hhof player for sure

god torts was a bad hire for this team

Schneider's decline can be easily explained if you look at the multiple injuries he has suffered. He is a 32 year old goalie with hip and groin issues. This also leads me to believe he isn't bouncing back. Schneider is done and its one of the reasons why teams and GMs should be very careful giving goalies long term deals that run well into their 30s. Carey Price is really earning that 10.5M AAV with his .900 SV% over the last 75 games or so.

35 minutes ago, hockeyville88 said:

Maybe the Canucks saw something in him that some of us didn't. Back in the day, I was convinced that he was going to be one of the league's best goalies. He was so structured and poised. Now, on the verge of:

Cory Schneider is on his way to extending his losing streak to 19 games (0-16-3).
Gets pulled 10 minutes into the first period after allowing three goals on seven shots. 

And to think there was a time where Luongo lost his job to him. 

12 minutes ago, xereau said:

Copy tweet link to wordpad.  Cut and paste from there, to here.  Some kind of formatting change magic takes place.

After pasting the link, you'll get a tiny prompt to paste the link as plain text instead of rich text. Click that and the link will embed on its own

gmmg out gm'd again

oh wait horvat is doing really good.

Cory was 26 and and would of took a miracle for us to be contenders again after 2013 in less then 2-3years. 

I really do feel bad for Cory though, I heard nothing but nice things about him and that includes Luongo. He is likely done after this year. He made a good deal of money so he should be set for life. I think he could get a goalie coaching  gig at some college/uni/minor league team if he wanted to keep busy.

MIght be something more personal then just panic attacks though. Relationship issues, death of a family member, new born baby, tough summer, ect... could of all been factors for this year. In any case I send prayers to him to feel comfort, peace, and confidence in who he is and not how everyone will be hating on him for the next while. 

19 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well let's not revise history here

schneider was already traded by that game

eddie lack got the start over luongo

yeah.. that eddie.. who cannot get a job in the nhl

while lou just keeps rolling on

will be a hhof player for sure

god torts was a bad hire for this team

torts didn't move to canada. lived in usa the whole time. what a joke.

he should of stuck to being a tsn guy.

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

torts didn't move to canada. lived in usa the whole time. what a joke.

he should of stuck to being a tsn guy.

True.  He commuted from Point Roberts.  Wasn’t there some story about Gillis putting a bed in Torts’ Office so Torts would be at morning skates, and Torts never used it?  

Archived